SpaceJunkie

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T 2016
Country flag
I noticed that’s a mounting clip on the front grille which need to be rested on top of the bumper spacer above headlight.

The mounting clips below headlight can be easily broken off if bumper are not removed properly.

I bought both right and left bumper mounting clips (above headlight) and will be replacing at my local workshop. The headlamp need to be taken off in order to replace the bumper mounting bracket. Let’s see how it goes after I have these replace next week.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 349210B1-8478-4B35-B9D8-CB1CE4C2CC5F

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. C2992920-19A0-4CD2-AB2B-BCC5C76965D1

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. AD95D932-93B4-47AA-8658-DD8BE50AC14C

Last edited:

HexSosa1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I Removed my Bumper Twice

The first time to install my front lip and I did snap a few of the clips on the upper bumper mount which is in the previous image and sits right below the headlight my bumper still went on ok and had no issues with it at all nor did I have any gap between the front grill assembly and the upper bumper.

The Second time I had to replace my front grill assembly because I was on vacation and while on this vacation my younger brother borrowed the car and hit something destroying my front lip and cracking the black front grill assembly. I purchased 2 new upper bumper mounts to ensure the next time I removed the bumper I could replace those with the broken clips (The pair were $44.00CDN). My Brother had the money thankfully so I ordered a mesh style Type R front grill assembly off Amazon and a new front lip, I am now noticing the gap near the two center clips after installing the aftermarket grill.

I am probably gonna have to do the ziptie method but not looking forward to removing the bumper again it's probably like a few hours to jack up the car and remove carefully and then zip tie and reinstall everything.

I have to say I was a little bummed out when I saw the clips weren't attaching correctly (it was flush until the bumper was snapped back on to the car) but a little less bummed now that I am seeing I am not alone in the gapping issue. I wish I wouldve of seen this thread before so I could've zip tied before snapping the bumper back on but the flaw wasn't obvious.

I guess I will have to live with the gap until I order and then install my mishimoto IC kit with the pipes and all which will require the bumper to get popped off again..

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay, my bumper was removed to make an upgrade with the snail horns, and I wanted to fix the gap. Here's what I did.

1. Slightly heat up the small tabs so that you can bend it down.
2. Adding bracket to the center vertical support beam in the bumper.

I notice that the center vertical support beam in the bumper behind the grill is sagging, which is the main reason that the tabs pop out over time. You know it's sagging because the top portion of the bumper above the grill is sunken, and you will notice there is a gap between the grill and bumper where the Yellow rectangular points out in the pictures below.

I figure in order to lift the bumper up again, something has to be there to strengthen the center support beam by changing the angle of the center support beam. I make a metal bracket with an angle slightly larger than what it is, then secure it with self tapping screws.

Now the gap, yellow rectangular area, between the bumper and grill is minimized, and it lifts the bumper up to fit the contour of the grill.

I think the metal bracket is crucial to maintain the contour of the top piece in the bumper, so that it won't cause too much stresses on those small little tabs in the grill. I hope the pictures and diagrams help.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_2808

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_2809

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_2809a

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_2810.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_2811

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_9903

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_9904

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_9906

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sure that Honda is aware of the problem that the vertical support below the upper bumper piece is too weak, which eventually causes those little tabs to pop out over time.

They reinforce the vertical support by making is bulkier, wider and larger for the 2019 bumper.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. A329268F-39C5-4BAD-918F-646AE3920518

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well,bits been ten months since they replaced my bumper and so far it's still holding and no issues thank God.

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
Country flag
Well, while my gap has not really gotten worse, here I am, still seeing a gap that peak's it's nasty head when the weather gets hot, and goes back to (mostly) normal in the cold. Oh how I wish I didn't have to deal with this, or only had the option of modifying the bumper myself to fix the gap...

BklynBoy55

Since '84 CRX, Civic Wagon, Accord, CRV & Civic
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
First let me thank all of the members of the forum who posted and added information because after reading these postings I was curious enough to look at my 2017 Hatchback and sure enough there was a gap in the front grill. I had to make an appointment to get my oil changed and asked the service manager to come out to vehicle and pointed it out to him. Initially we had an obvious difference of opinion about it and then he said that he has "only seen 2-3 of them" and that it wasn't widespread. He added that when I came in for an oil change the next day he would have someone in the shop look at it.
Today I went in for my oil change and was waiting for car to be taken into the shop when he came out and said to me that "We ordered you a grill yesterday so come back on Friday (this week) and we will fix it for you. So it appears that without further analysis (yesterday) the dealership had already ordered the part. I will add to my post after it is "repaired".
Let me add some additional information which may or may not be pertinent. I've been a customer of this dealership for about 18 years now. I think I am a pretty reasonable customer (even when a mechanic put my 2000 CRV into a steel pole) and have been treated well. Still after my difference of opinion with the service manager and I telling him that this issue is all over the web I was only a bit surprised that the dealership ordered the necessary part(s) without any further examination. Therefore I have to believe that the issue with the grill is more widespread and more known to Honda then I was told. Of course this is just conjecture on my part but I know that this is being fixed under warranty.
UPDATE: I had 3 months of interacting with my dealership - certainly not a positive experience. Ultimately I chose to trade in my 2017 hatch for a 2018 sport hatch. Here it is 8 months later and sure enough the clips are being exposed first on the passenger side. Honda is a pain and so is the dealership. The whole situation turned me off to ever purchasing another Honda after ownership of various hondas since my 1984 CRX but never again. I now own a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. It's a different kind of vehicle and average mph is less but I don't get aggravated every day when I see the front of the vehicle. As far as customer service I don't have the vehicle long enough for any interaction but reading that owners with 2019 civics are experiencing the same issues (as well as others) I just didn't want to go through that grief with the civic, Honda and/or the dealership ever again. Good luck to all and thanks for everything I have learned from you.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE: I had 3 months of interacting with my dealership - certainly not a positive experience. Ultimately I chose to trade in my 2017 hatch for a 2018 sport hatch. Here it is 8 months later and sure enough the clips are being exposed first on the passenger side. Honda is a pain and so is the dealership. The whole situation turned me off to ever purchasing another Honda after ownership of various hondas since my 1984 CRX but never again. I now own a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. It's a different kind of vehicle and average mph is less but I don't get aggravated every day when I see the front of the vehicle. As far as customer service I don't have the vehicle long enough for any interaction but reading that owners with 2019 civics are experiencing the same issues (as well as others) I just didn't want to go through that grief with the civic, Honda and/or the dealership ever again. Good luck to all and thanks for everything I have learned from you.
I certainly don't blame you.Everyone will tell you, all manufactures are like that now, but it still doesn't make it right.
I've been through it with both Honda and two different dealers being shady, lying, acting ( maybe not) like they don't know how their products work etc. And now, even with another civic, getting treated like scrap because of some small issues.
The brand new civic , the day I drove it home,had this bumper issue. It was really bad and you could see the clip was broken. The service manager told me that was acceptable! Said Honda won't authorize a new one. After causing him out and threatening a bunch of stuff, they put one on from another car. Its been ok since, but you shouldn't have to go through all this crap. I'm not in a position to get rid of it right now, but like you, I will never buy another Honda product.

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Update on mine. New bumper and grill is coming apart in a different spot. Was above headlight and now it is the middle portion. Lasted maybe 6 months, so going back to dealer.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, while my gap has not really gotten worse, here I am, still seeing a gap that peak's it's nasty head when the weather gets hot, and goes back to (mostly) normal in the cold. Oh how I wish I didn't have to deal with this, or only had the option of modifying the bumper myself to fix the gap...
The center support beam behind the H emblem is too thin and weak. When it's hot, it's sinking down and you can see it right in front of your eyes by looking at the center portion. The bumper is made of PP materials, which is soft and flexible, but the grill is made of ABS plastic, which is harder and kept in shape. Those little tabs in the grill will pop when the bumper is deformed.

Update on mine. New bumper and grill is coming apart in a different spot. Was above headlight and now it is the middle portion. Lasted maybe 6 months, so going back to dealer.
Those areas you mentioned are where the vertical support beams are located. Those beams are getting deformed over time.

They should have made the top piece to go with the grill like toyota, mazda and several other makers, and have the grill mounted on the radiator support.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 2017-Honda-Civic-sedan-front-grille

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. asdf

nrtphotos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic DX
Country flag
My bumper and grill are messed up again not even a year after having them replaced. Argh....

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
For anyone in this thread wondering if the 2019 versions of the car have the issue, they do. My bumper has the same gap as everyone else on the drivers side. Took it into my dealership where I purchased the car and they looked at it. They said they're not allowed to do body work without some sort of "authorization" from Honda, so they called Honda corporate and sent them pictures and waited for Honda's response to see if they can fix it under warranty. Honda came back this morning and said they are not going to repair the car due to it being "damaged". They said sorry but there's nothing they can do. I'd have to pay for the repairs. My car is in pristine condition and is no way damaged. The dealership refuses to do anything about it and told me to pick up the car tonight. I'm going to take it to another dealership to see if they can do anything about it and show them this thread.

I have a 2019 Civic EX hatchback if anyone needs to know.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For anyone in this thread wondering if the 2019 versions of the car have the issue, they do. My bumper has the same gap as everyone else on the drivers side. Took it into my dealership where I purchased the car and they looked at it. They said they're not allowed to do body work without some sort of "authorization" from Honda, so they called Honda corporate and sent them pictures and waited for Honda's response to see if they can fix it under warranty. Honda came back this morning and said they are not going to repair the car due to it being "damaged". They said sorry but there's nothing they can do. I'd have to pay for the repairs. My car is in pristine condition and is no way damaged. The dealership refuses to do anything about it and told me to pick up the car tonight. I'm going to take it to another dealership to see if they can do anything about it and show them this thread.

I have a 2019 Civic EX hatchback if anyone needs to know.
My car was one day old, and the dealer gave me the same crap about Honda not authorizing it, said it was acceptable. After just getting rid of the lemon Civic I had, this one falling apart within one day, let me tell you, I lost my cool, cussed the jerk of a service manager out and started letting other customers in the area know what they were doing.
Before I left they agreed to rip a bumper off another brand new Civic and put on mine. It fixed it so far, a year later it's ok, but some poor fool got my defective bumper on his new Civic

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interestingly enough, while my CTR has other bumper alignment issues (noticable gap under the passenger headlight, near the side marker), the grille has no issues.
Sponsored