Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI Sedan 2018 (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
Not to stir up some controversy or heated arguments, but if you have mods done for you by shops or professional installers does that make you less of a modder than those who actually does it for themselves? Does it matter to you or don't care if you did it or not? I know not all are DIY'ers or even have equipments to do stuff in their own garages, but one does feel more accomplished if mods were done by their own hands right? Or just say, "Who the "F" cares, long as it is what I want it be!". What's your take on it?
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I try and do everything I can by myself, not as an ego thing but just to challenge myself and try to learn something along the way.

If there's a real risk of personal injury or seriously damaging something, I'd have no issue handing off to a pro and wouldn't judge anyone who does.

So far, my hands have been the only one on my car. Gonna keep that streak as long as I can.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
If it's your build, do it how you want it. If having a shop or a skilled friend install your mods works for you, then great.

I personally do them myself because:

1: I enjoy it.
2: I want to earn it lol.
3: I feel more connected to my car and build.
4: I really only trust myself to do things to my car, as no one will care about your own car as much as you do.

Now there are some things I simply don't trust myself to do correctly. When I get my upgraded connecting rods, for example, I'm going to have a professional install them.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Depends on the kind of mods for me. Something like changing bulbs, badges, sidemarkers, air filters or uploading a tune are things I'm confident enough to do. Anything beyond that and I'm probably looking for a professional.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks to YouTube, there's a how to video for almost anything you could imagine. This has saved me a ton of money over the years and I'm thankful for the people who take the time to post the videos!
I grew up without this luxury, so I pretty much had to figure out things on my own.
This taught me a lot and now I feel comfortable doing just about anything.
I did pay to have my lowering springs installed. Could I have done it myself? Yes.
Did I feel like doing it myself? No.
It does help to have some mechanical inclination, which some people just dont have.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I do most of my own mods but if the car needs to go on a lift or something, I let the pros do it.

In my opinion, whether you DIY them or have a pro do it, a mod is a mod. :thumbsup:

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
I do as much as I can myself in order to save money. It's been really rewarding learning about my car, too. So far, the only thing I've had professionally done was my resonator delete since I can't weld. I don't look down on anyone who can afford to pay someone else to install parts for them.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Living in an apartment with no garage, getting the tools and doing the research to make sure I have all the steps ready “feels” like more trouble than its worth, especially when I can drop my car off at the shop and pick it up when I go home. If for whatever reason I had to take a break from doing my own work in the parking lot I would feel very uncomfortable having to leave anything incomplete since I’d probably be working alone.. not to mention it would take me forever to do any mod until I’ve done it 2-3 times at least lol

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I try to do what mods I can myself, but I work 5 days a week with almost no back to back days off and work is a 45min drive one way. Also no garage and no prior experience working on cars. The risk of messing something up and the lack of time make it hard for me to tackle projects. I have done a few that I’m proud of such as my switchback side markers. It’s cool learning and doing it yourself so I recommend trying it if possible. Currently trying to decide if I trust myself enough to drill into my bumper for a front lip

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Built and bought are very different. Personally I dont believe there is a such thing as a professional unless it's a performance shop. Most mechanics in most shops are dumb as rocks. ASE certified means absolutely nothing. But in this context 20k car isn't worth damaging if you dont have the proper tools.

HoldTheRice

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't really care one way or the other what people do.

I do the installs I can. If I'm not confident in doing something or am lacking the tools, my buddies a mechanic and he helps me out.
This.
Sponsored