captain2

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda 2020 civic ex
Country flag
1-where do you do your normal maintenance on a new car just bought dealer or own mechanic

2-where do you do your normal maintenance as your car ages and a few yrs old dealer or own mechanic or yourself

Talking about oil changes, tire rotation, all fluiid changes, (oil, transmission, break, coolant) cabin filters,brakes , new tires, new battery, or any othewr normal maintenance, watch out for that oil dilution also

in the beggnning i went to dealer, after while dealer tried to tell me i need kitchen sink so went to my own mechanic to followed honda guidlines. does your dealer give you coupons.
Sponsored

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
As much maintenance as I feel comfortable and confident doing myself, I do at home. Most fluids and filters. Things like spark plugs. Easy stuff.

I will get certain things done at the dealer if I’m going to be at the dealer anyway. For example, I just got my oil and filter changed because I was at the dealer getting a flat tire replaced. If it’s going to be on the lift anyway, why not.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oil change and tire rotation, air filters ( both) myself.
Other ; my small town mechanic. I know him.

I have never been to the dealer with all my cars. They only want my money.

corrado89

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I took my car to the dealership for the first oil change(short on time) and after that did it myself. I discovered on my second oil change that the dealership used a cheap AutoNation brand china oil filter and impact gun on the drain plug. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen it! I notified them and won't be back. If you go the diy route make sure you keep good records. I have a spreadsheet of dates and maintenance performed and keep a 3 ring binder with all receipts.

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
Definitely do everything myself.
I'm retired and have not taken any car to the dealer for general maintenance since I started driving 45 years ago.
It has been my therapy and I know it's done right!!!

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tend to do it myself. However, since I have a 5yr/60k warranty they threw in, I'll be taking it to the dealer for everything.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I took my car to the dealership for the first oil change(short on time) and after that did it myself. I discovered on my second oil change that the dealership used a cheap AutoNation brand china oil filter and impact gun on the drain plug. I had to use a breaker bar to loosen it! I notified them and won't be back. If you go the diy route make sure you keep good records. I have a spreadsheet of dates and maintenance performed and keep a 3 ring binder with all receipts.

Now you understand why dealer are not better than other mechanic or you .
Did you check the undershield guard bolts ? Some may missed
Same story we hear too often.
Sponsored