CVT surging up and down

Khellendrose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
I just called my dealer and confirmed the update will be out tomorrow! I'm going in first thing Friday to get mine fixed!! Hell yes
Sponsored

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just called my dealer and confirmed the update will be out tomorrow! I'm going in first thing Friday to get mine fixed!! Hell yes
Do they have to wait on a USB stick or anything or is downloadable by the dealer? The last update (for the info amp issue) required them to wait for something to arrive via mail.

Khellendrose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do they have to wait on a USB stick or anything or is downloadable by the dealer? The last update (for the info amp issue) required them to wait for something to arrive via mail.
They told me they download it and put it on a USB flash drive there

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag
Given that it has now been confirmed that the issue is indeed due to faulty learning values in the TCM software, it makes curious whether there's anything that those who've experienced the issue might have in common. The service bulletin seems to suggest that the faulty software is present in all turbo models, however leaves vague whether all cars would eventually be affected. I'm wondering if the way the software 'learns to be bad' might have something to do with an individual's driving style, or maybe the ratio of city/highway driving during that time span, or something else, or whatever. Such that the issue is not guaranteed to surface for all, but can be reproduced over a certain number of miles with certain driving parameters, common enough to account for the number of reports seen online, but uncommon enough to have not been caught during Honda's pre-release quality testing.

Maybe it comes from driving slightly aggressive? Maybe it comes from driving too conservative? Maybe it comes from spending 80% of the time at highway speeds? A period of time carrying around heavier cargo? Too many left turns? No idea, just curious thinking about it. /nerd

Anyway, it's all a moot point now that the fix is out, so hopefully this particular complaint fades to a distant memory before too long.

somarilnos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Nice. Wish I would have seen this before I went to the dealership today. They did a battery cable reset, and didn't have any TSBs noted for the VIN. I'll have to set up a followup with them.

toyman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 element, 2016 civic touring
Country flag
I just left the dealer, and they said they computer said no update was necessary. I told him about the slight surges and it would not except any updates?
Not sure now other than wait to see.

whaaaaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, Black w/ Ivory interior
Country flag

toyman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just left the dealer, and they said they computer said no update was necessary. I told him about the slight surges and it would not except any updates?
Not sure now other than wait to see.
So they wouldn't update it or the system wouldn't accept the update?

toyman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So they wouldn't update it or the system wouldn't accept the update?
he said it didn't need update, but I been reading on another thread that the update is not out? So I left him a message to confirm that the update in question
is the one we all are waiting for and not just the TSB with out the update in hand. I will hear back from him soon.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Their tool may have a "current"--as of the last time they updated it--library of available updates and, if plugged into a car that has the same level of code, they see no updates to install. It's like trying to install an Android or Play Store app update the day it is first announced. Sure, an update may be coming soon. But today it's going to say no updates available for you.

irockash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
Dropped my car off to the dealership, but they said it hasn't been released to their system yet. Maybe it will be Monday.

Khellendrose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: I took my car in today and at first it would not update, they said it had something to do with my car not being on the TSB for the issue. They called honda tech and they advised Honda my car does in fact have the issue and they were told to again update their interface and the laptop and try again. I now have the car back and they are claiming my car took the update. I drive to work in a couple hours and will know very quickly of it has been resolved or not. I do wish there was a way to verify the update has in fact been installed and that they didn't just do a battery reset again.

Khellendrose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good news, the surging is gone after the update. Not one hint of a surging issue from Lynnwood Washington to Seattle which is normally plagued with surging. I'm pretty confident they did not do a battery reset sense that never resolved the problem in the past for me. The battery reset would only reduce the surging making it less noticeable.
Sponsored