After surging patch fuel economy

68charger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
016 civic exl, 68 charger,08 ram cummins,15 corolla,99mustang le/se
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a drop in fuel economy or any other problems after the car was updated with the tsb for surging, Thanks for all the imput in advance
Sponsored

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a drop in fuel economy or any other problems after the car was updated with the tsb for surging, Thanks for all the imput in advance
Why do you ask? Have you noticed something? I haven't driven mine enough since the patch to tell.

OP
OP

68charger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer knows about the surging in my civic ,but before I have the software update I want to find out if anybody has had problems after there update, like ,fuel economy, driveability, more power, etc

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
If anything it should improve economy, as when it surges, your mpg drops due to the increase in RPM's.

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If anything it should improve economy, as when it surges, your mpg drops due to the increase in RPM's.
Agreed. When it was surging, you could see the MPG gauge moving back and forth with the RPMs. Now it just stays constant.

OP
OP

68charger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately that's not always the case ,I have had other cars and trucks that have needed computer updates and unfortunately my mpg took a hit ,talking to my dealer I asked them if this patch has been tested they did not know, and did tell me during our discussion that a older model hybrid needed a update and unfortunately that car took a hit with mpg ,and made a few customers upset. My truck took a 5 mpg hit whenI had to have it updated, upset I put a custom program in it and did a few mods recovered plus some :thumbsup:

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately that's not always the case ,I have had other cars and trucks that have needed computer updates and unfortunately my mpg took a hit ,talking to my dealer I asked them if this patch has been tested they did not know, and did tell me during our discussion that a older model hybrid needed a update and unfortunately that car took a hit with mpg ,and made a few customers upset. My truck took a 5 mpg hit whenI had to have it updated, upset I put a custom program in it and did a few mods recovered plus some :thumbsup:
They are talking about the Honda insight. Some owners reported a ~10MPG hit after getting the update. Malarkey. I personally swapped between than updated ECU, and a non-updated ECU and experienced no hit. The reason some owners took a hit was, the update increased background charging of the IMA system, so those that used a ton of battery suffered from more background charging. I don't really think that counts as an update at fault, but more so a too aggressive driving style.

OP
OP

68charger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All I am going by is what they said and my past experiences with my truck ,all I am asking is if anyone has experienced any difference in the running or fuel economy

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
All I am going by is what they said and my past experiences with my truck ,all I am asking is if anyone has experienced any difference in the running or fuel economy
I've read in a couple threads people getting better MPG. I think this transmission patch fixes a potential bug, rather than tweaking the normal operation of the vehicle, so if anything, I'd expect an improvement. My Focus had a patch that affected the normal operation of the vehicle because everybody hated how it upshifted into top gear the moment you let off on the gas, and I can see a patch like that being a problem for MPG.

N_I_N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I can't speak yet on fuel economy because my driving was not typical this week so my mileage is already off. I'm at about 39mpg as opposed to 42mpg which is my normal. However, I would gladly take that hit to get this patch (even though I dont think it will effect mileage that much). The car drives so much better now I can't even believe it just came from that single update. It's literally like night and day. So smoooooth.....

x1cmb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Mine was updated late yesterday and I couldn't pick it up until today. The update only stopped the RPM gauge from visually changing with the surges, but the car seems to physically surge more than before and feel generally terrible to drive. The only thing that helps is driving in S instead of D, but driving everywhere with the RPMs high in S mode would definitely lower mpg.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
Mine was updated late yesterday and I couldn't pick it up until today. The update only stopped the RPM gauge from visually changing with the surges, but the car seems to physically surge more than before and feel generally terrible to drive. The only thing that helps is driving in S instead of D, but driving everywhere with the RPMs high in S mode would definitely lower mpg.
If that's the case try and do the battery cable reset. I'm betting the dealer never updated your system. This is not hit or miss. If there is a patch it should work. Keep complaining.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use to get easy 42 - 46 mpg
After the patch the surging is completely gone
But it's very hard to get 40 mph now.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
How's your ex-t now?
Sponsored