Crazy but honest question: Trade '18 Aegean Blue for '21 Boost Blue or keep both?

ATX FK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BBP FK8, '21 SGP FK8, '22 Ody Elite, '05 SV650
Country flag
So plan was to trade in our '18 Aegean Blue for a new '21 Boost Blue. We like both colors, but we both actually like the Aegean a little more. Nothing wrong with the '18, but wife loves the addition of the volume knob and physical fan speed buttons. I do appreciate the new rotors and updated suspension. The main reason we decided to do this though is simply we're buying it for MSRP and got $36k for our '18, which is more than we paid for it brand new back in '18. We carried no negative equity into the first one, so really it's just like we're upgrading to a slightly better car that we already love AND 3 years newer for literally $3k plus only tax on that $3k! (plus the remainder of the balance that we would have owed anyway on the '18)

Now the crazy part...wife wants to keep the '18 now. Not instead of trading for the '21, but as in keeping both. That wasn't the plan. On first thought, this seems like a great idea. But I can't wrap my head around it. We don't need it. We can't fit it. The garage already houses her Odyssey, space for ONE Type R, and both our motorcycles, not to mention your typical garage gear. Even though we're in a good neighborhood, if we added a 3rd car, we wouldn't want any of them or the motorcycles parked outside. She thinks we can ask our neighbor if we can rent one of her spots. She also has a 3 car garage, but has nothing in it but her one car. Not even the smallest about of clutter. That seems highly inconvenient because I'd want 24 hour access, but wouldn't want to intrude on my neighbor like that even if she was even agreeable to the idea.

Anyway, part of it is sentimental. The '18 was originally "her" car. She loved it at first sight, like she loved her manual Civics back in college. Even though she loves driving her Odyssey as her daily with the 3 kids, she still takes out the Type R whenever she can. I daily it now, and would daily the '21. One of her thoughts is how cool it would be if all 3 of the kids each had a hand-me-down Type R when they start driving. Mind you, the eldest two are still only 10 and 8. This woman also wants a Jeep and a little truck. Our plan when the kids started driving was maybe a used Jeep and/or Tacoma then. So the kids would have transportation but Mama could still have her fun. Those I'd be ok with parking outside, lol.

So is this crazy??? Financially is not a concern. Although the 40k could probably be better used toward a pool which we definitely plan to do next year. We're not crazy in thinking these are anywhere close to being super special collector cars, but with the low miles we'd put on them would it be realistic to expect the depreciation to continue to be much less than most cars? In other words, if we decide in a couple years to get rid of the older one will we kick ourselves for missing out on this current window of high used car values??? Logistically I just don't know how to do this besides finding a new house with a 4 car garage ??? BTW, the '21 is a done deal. Just a matter if we go back, kick the trade, and bring the '18 back home lol. Sorry for long post!
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Iā€™d trade in the house for another with a 3-car garage while housing is still in a bubble. Iā€™ve the same lament. Why is it so hard to find a house with a 3-car garage in TX without spending half a mil? Even master plan communities do that. All cookie-cutter 2-space garages and 5-ft away from the next house.

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Trade the 18 for sure and buy a s2000 instead of keeping the 2018.boost blue is sick congratulations

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
OP - do whatever your wife wants! Sounds like she is 100% on board with this plan and if you can make it work then do it. Plus, the CTRs maintain their value so well that even if a year from now you decide to go a different direction, you won't lose much, if any, money.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
ATX FK8

ATX FK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BBP FK8, '21 SGP FK8, '22 Ody Elite, '05 SV650
Country flag
If you're going to keep the second then just toss the minivan. I'd roll 2x type R's yolo
Not an option ?. Need 5-seater for road trips or even daily trips when all together.

Iā€™d trade in the house for another with a 3-car garage while housing is still in a bubble. Iā€™ve the same lament. Why is it so hard to find a house with a 3-car garage in TX without spending half a mil? Even master plan communities do that. All cookie-cutter 2-space garages and 5-ft away from the next house.
Currently have 3-car. Would need 4-car. And you're not kidding about the housing market. Unless you're out in the county, even in the suburbs in TX 4/3/3 neighborhoods that were half mil last year are now 700k to 800k. And older 3/2/2 neighborhoods that were under 200k last year are creeping over 400k ?

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I was trading up for my type r, I was trying really hard to find aegean blue man. Had an aegean blue si and it grew on me like crazy. But I love the PMM too! Almost drove myself to new york for the blue lol. Personally I'd say keep both if you had the means :drive:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Not an option ?. Need 5-seater for road trips or even daily trips when all together.

Currently have 3-car. Would need 4-car. And you're not kidding about the housing market. Unless you're out in the county, even in the suburbs in TX 4/3/3 neighborhoods that were half mil last year are now 700k to 800k. And older 3/2/2 neighborhoods that were under 200k last year are creeping over 400k ?
Then sell the 2018 for a profit in this market and do something else. Feels redundant if you can't go full family with it imo. Never get emotionally attached to a car - easier said than done but has to be done in some cases.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i would keep the 18 since 2019 was the last year they made that color on the type R

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sell every vehicle you don't actually need. Especially in this market.