Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
i agree. thats why i bought it instead of creating my own cuts like the evasive grille. It was a great idea and free if you had steady hands but it looked like an after thought and not OEM. Also if i put a mesh on the added cuts, the different "diamonds" or mesh patterns triggers my OCD lol. That's why i couldn't go for these ebay grilles too.

While i was lagging to cut my grille, the 2020 information leaked out so i just waited till it was available. Took a bit after the part number was released because i also waited for others to be the guinea pig and confirm fitment before i ordered lol. I was not about to order $80/ea eye lids if the original ones fit.

Much cheaper to cut your current one however. The grille itself isn't expensive but the emblem is insane. H emblem is like $50 so thats not bad but the Type R emblem is $80. I lucked out because a friend of mine had one laying around so i just cleaned the old tape residue off and reapplied double sided tape to the back (which was a tedious process since i used an exacto knife to cut it out to the right sizes) and stuck it on.
Same, the cost is one reason Iā€™ll wait a bit. I donā€™t track my car so I donā€™t need the cooling benefits, just like the look.
Sponsored

evolute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
This is what i did today for my stock 2017 grill. Itā€™s better and more functional than the 2020 grill.

592B3341-3A61-4C94-A3C2-708AF220CC5B.jpeg

B22EEEE0-2A68-41DA-8698-4440DF5B6C4C.jpeg
This looks awesome! Iā€™m also interested in a quick tutorial. Iā€™m thinking about grabbing a cheap eBay grill to cut into, so I donā€™t have to do it to the oem grill. Did you just use a dremel tool?

Last edited:

Jmillerohio

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Champion White
Country flag
If your going for looks then maybe upgrading to the 2020 CtR grille might be a good idea. But if you're really trying to achieve help with COOLING the engine bay and radiator this is a better option.

https://acuityinstruments.com/colle...icone-radiator-hoses-for-the-fk8-civic-type-r

Accuity just released there new upper and lower radiator hose kit that re-routes the flow of coolant in the radiator causing lower temps (proven both on street and track). Also just around the same cost. $139 for the hoses and I believe $140-$150 for the grille. Honda has mentioned in there new 2020 CtR introduction video that the new grille provides "better cooling" but I'm hesitant to believe it makes that much of a difference by adding 1x additional row of combs.... and I work for Honda.

I believe that installing Accuity new upgraded radiator hose kit will make a bigger difference in both cooling temps and overall engine bay temp. IMO just a better option.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If your going for looks then maybe upgrading to the 2020 CtR grille might be a good idea. But if you're really trying to achieve help with COOLING the engine bay and radiator this is a better option.

https://acuityinstruments.com/colle...icone-radiator-hoses-for-the-fk8-civic-type-r

Accuity just released there new upper and lower radiator hose kit that re-routes the flow of coolant in the radiator causing lower temps (proven both on street and track). Also just around the same cost. $139 for the hoses and I believe $140-$150 for the grille. Honda has mentioned in there new 2020 CtR introduction video that the new grille provides "better cooling" but I'm hesitant to believe it makes that much of a difference by adding 1x additional row of combs.... and I work for Honda.

I believe that installing Accuity new upgraded radiator hose kit will make a bigger difference in both cooling temps and overall engine bay temp. IMO just a better option.
But in the description - it states it reduces water temps by 2.5c BUT only if you have other mods, one being a bigger front grill.

So the 2020 grill would still be beneficial.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Same, the cost is one reason Iā€™ll wait a bit. I donā€™t track my car so I donā€™t need the cooling benefits, just like the look.
i was just trying to find cheap stuff to do during this whole covid situation lol. I gotta keep myself busy!

i disagree. You NEED to introduce more air to the radiator to increase its efficiency so an open grille whether its the 2020, a cut 17-19, or an ebay grille is needed. The 2020 one may be around one row but if your talking about surface area, it's a decent improvement. They have also updated the radiator which seems to contain more fins vs the older one so it's not just the grille that gave it the lower temperature. Increasing the efficiency of the radiator will increase the efficiency of acuitys radiator hoses.

the acuitys radiator hose is a great idea and a great item. But its an additional item to help lower the temp that works in conjunction with the more open grille/bigger radiator. If you want help cooling the engine, you NEED to get all 3. A grille, radiator, and the hoses. You need all 3 as they all increase the efficiency of each other.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also like the smaller H.. but why do they have a "black bar" under the H.. cant they just keep it consistent with the diamond mesh!
Thereā€™s a body-colored bumper support behind the emblem, so a solid front piece is needed to hide it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Comparison 2020 Type R front grill to 2017-2019 BCAD3365-5887-4A61-B085-BFE114DB6540

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I also like the smaller H.. but why do they have a "black bar" under the H.. cant they just keep it consistent with the diamond mesh!
i agree but the 17-19 had the same "black bar" also. It was just less noticeable because the emblem is bigger and hanged lower than the '20s. There is also that support for the bumper right behind it like he showed so it has to be solid to cover it up.

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
finally installed. I like the smaller H over the bigger one thats on the 17-19s.
EPACaT0.jpg
Looks great, definitely going on my list of parts to get at some point. The smaller emblem is a nice bonus as well.

SpeedPak

Drive Hard...Apex Late!
First Name
Faisal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you guys replacing the under spoiler as well? Just did the 2020 grill on my 19 but wondering if I should replace the underbody piece as well

Milktealord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Fk8 Type R
Country flag
yeah. the difference is very subtle too. I like it.
Car looks very nice. Love it. So you ordered the rear type r badge 75701-TGH-A01 ? Just want to make sure before I go and order as well. We can re-use the "type R" logo badge too right?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Car looks very nice. Love it. So you ordered the rear type r badge 75701-TGH-A01 ? Just want to make sure before I go and order as well. We can re-use the "type R" logo badge too right?
thanks. That is the part number i ordered. The Type R logo can be reused. I just removed all the old tape residue and reapplied 3m tape and used an exacto knife to cut around the edges.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 CW Type R
Country flag
It sounds like the cooling benefits are marginal at best.

For those like myself considering upgrading the radiator, here's feedback from a member who tracks with someone who has upgraded the radiator.

"I personally do not have the 2020 radiator. My friends who were on track with me recently have the 2020 rad, vented hood, and vented grill. Not much difference if any on track. Iā€™d say save your money."

A bit of a bummer for me to be honest...
Sponsored