Comparison 2020 Type R front grill to 2017-2019

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
It sounds like the cooling benefits are marginal at best.

For those like myself considering upgrading the radiator, here's feedback from a member who tracks with someone who has upgraded the radiator.

"I personally do not have the 2020 radiator. My friends who were on track with me recently have the 2020 rad, vented hood, and vented grill. Not much difference if any on track. I’d say save your money."

A bit of a bummer for me to be honest...
it was to be expected. Theres no way these minor upgrades (rad + grille) were going to somehow stop a car overheating badly for those who tracked their cars.
I got it because i like the look better and one of the tabs on my grille was already broken. (you couldn't tell but i knew it was there and it bugged me lol)
Sponsored

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
If your going for looks then maybe upgrading to the 2020 CtR grille might be a good idea. But if you're really trying to achieve help with COOLING the engine bay and radiator this is a better option.

https://acuityinstruments.com/colle...icone-radiator-hoses-for-the-fk8-civic-type-r

Accuity just released there new upper and lower radiator hose kit that re-routes the flow of coolant in the radiator causing lower temps (proven both on street and track). Also just around the same cost. $139 for the hoses and I believe $140-$150 for the grille. Honda has mentioned in there new 2020 CtR introduction video that the new grille provides "better cooling" but I'm hesitant to believe it makes that much of a difference by adding 1x additional row of combs.... and I work for Honda.

I believe that installing Accuity new upgraded radiator hose kit will make a bigger difference in both cooling temps and overall engine bay temp. IMO just a better option.
Don’t do this to there are very good reason not one single car manufacturer does coolant flow through rad hoses this way. And slight loss I coolant the reverse flow will pump air through the cooling system. Instead of channeling air to the bleeder hoses built into the system you now pump air to the bottom of the radiator. Also if the car comes close to overheating the boiling coolant will not longer go to the top of radiator but get stuck cause water pumps can’t pump air downward. Another reason not to do this is the secondary coolant sensor to turn the fans on earlier. Half the radiator still ha colder coolant in it. This is an ineffecient way to cool. You’ll burn up you rad fans running them non stop unless you tune the fans to run off the primary sensor and not the secondary sensor. Plus you now pull coolant from the top of the radiator and cause heat tends to go up you get inconsistent temp control. By pumping from the top down through a radiator allows more time equalize temp across the rad having greater cooling efficiency. That’s what the factory routing is that way. The only thing your doing is turning the fans on earlier: that’s where the temp difference is coming from.
You will not find a single race car done by pros doing this. You will not find a single manufacturer designing cars running coolaht this way. Coolant out of a motor always goes to the top of the rad and pulls cooler coolant from the bottom. If this worked Honda would have done it already.
just get a grille don’t waste money on this.
I am an A class master tech. I’ve been building cars on and off 20 years. The potential gain does not our weigh the risk. Now instead of heating up slowly near boiling temps it will just sky rocket in seconds.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It seems with the removal of the top grill slot on the 17-19 grill and moving it down on the 2020 grill, is more looks than anything. Don’t get me wrong. It looks good. I actually think both grills look good. The gain in square inches for air flow seem to be incredibly tiny.

I would wager the “improved cooling” Honda mentions is more marketing speak than anything. It sounds way sexier than saying “we changed it for the looks only!”

Air simply cannot cool something that is pumping out a ton of heat constantly, very effectively. I mean, air works for cooling. But gaining negligible CFM of airflow on something that pumps out a ton of heat just won’t cut it. Physics can’t be fooled.

I don’t blame folks for trying... but first year Engineering is enough to show it won’t work.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
It seems with the removal of the top grill slot on the 17-19 grill and moving it down on the 2020 grill, is more looks than anything. Don’t get me wrong. It looks good. I actually think both grills look good. The gain in square inches for air flow seem to be incredibly tiny.

I would wager the “improved cooling” Honda mentions is more marketing speak than anything. It sounds way sexier than saying “we changed it for the looks only!”

Air simply cannot cool something that is pumping out a ton of heat constantly, very effectively. I mean, air works for cooling. But gaining negligible CFM of airflow on something that pumps out a ton of heat just won’t cut it. Physics can’t be fooled.

I don’t blame folks for trying... but first year Engineering is enough to show it won’t work.
The reason for delete of upper opening was to increase lost downforce on the front. It’s utterly stupid and unless your doing over 100. The front splitter is also changed. The stocky two grilles on the market that improve significantly is the pro civic grille and j’s racing. The Evs one looks cool but being the air coming hits a sharp edge through the kidney bean cut out it tends to tumble in place and doesn’t improve that much. You need smoother transitions. J’s Racibgchas easily the highest improvement but costs is stupid at 700. The pro civic grille is 180 and there is a copy cat grille on amazon for 130.
I already have a koyo rad. Huge improvement. Truth be told Honda needs to redesign the front bumper in whole or do a drastic increase in radiator size. The koyo is twice as thick. I had to cut a full inch off the upper rad hose to fit it. That depth and the fact it’s aluminum transfer heat much better. Also cause I have the rad my oil temps don’t get as high either. The rad is not hard to replace. The koyo rad uses all stock hardware the only change is cutting upper hose shorter. I drive around at local speeds of 35 mph with an engone temp of 176 in 100 degree weather with the ac on. Even sittibg in traffic I won’t see more than 180 185 at best.

I know I don’t correct some of my spelling. Since my condition has gotten worse I’ve lost some vision. My apologies for any funky autocorrect.

Last edited:

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The reason for delete of upper opening was to increase lost downforce on the front. It’s utterly stupid and unless your doing over 100. The front splitter is also changed. The stocky two grilles on the market that improve significantly is the pro civic grille and j’s racing. The Evs one looks cool but being the air coming hits a sharp edge through the kidney bean cut out it tends to tumble in place and doesn’t improve that much. You need smoother transitions. J’s Racibgchas easily the highest improvement but costs is stupid at 700. The pro civic grille is 180 and there is a copy cat grille on amazon for 130.
I already have a koyo rad. Huge improvement. Truth be told Honda needs to redesign the front bumper in whole or do a drastic increase in radiator size. The koyo is twice as thick. I had to cut a full inch off the upper rad hose to fit it. That depth and the fact it’s aluminum transfer heat much better. Also cause I have the rad my oil temps don’t get as high either. The rad is not hard to replace. The koyo rad uses all stock hardware the only change is cutting upper hose shorter. I drive around at local speeds of 35 mph with an engone temp of 176 in 100 degree weather with the ac on. Even sittibg in traffic I won’t see more than 180 185 at best.

I know I don’t correct some of my spelling. Since my condition has gotten worse I’ve lost some vision. My apologies for any funky autocorrect.
I mean, that sounds good and all but without any real evidence Im going to be very speculative. Simply put, I don’t believe any of it. Moving a slot in the grill down 3.5 inches will not do much at all, regardless of what Honda May claim. They’re marketing the “improvements“ so people will buy. I’m also guessing you didn’t put the car into a wind tunnel and do testing, so again... I don’t believe the claims.

We are talking about very minute changes here. Unless you’re driving at crazy speeds, these changes will amount to near nothing.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
the splitter is unchanged ... its the damn rubber piece on the bottom that is changed.

also the top slot on the 17-19 grille didnt hit the radiator so im sure there are improvements by moving it down to where the air can hit the radiator.

Its just that those improvements are virtually useless on the street as you shouldn't be overheating on the streets and useless at the track as the grille alone isn't enough to combat the overheating at the track.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
the splitter is unchanged ... its the damn rubber piece on the bottom that is changed.

also the top slot on the 17-19 grille didnt hit the radiator so im sure there are improvements by moving it down to where the air can hit the radiator.

Its just that those improvements are virtually useless on the street as you shouldn't be overheating on the streets and useless at the track as the grille alone isn't enough to combat the overheating at the track.
Totally true except they did also change the radiator on the 20s but I believe it's not as effective as the koyorad one.

Mickdc2

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Are you guys replacing the under spoiler as well? Just did the 2020 grill on my 19 but wondering if I should replace the underbody piece as well
Hi bro

did you ever get the underbody trim? I looking for part numbers I ready to order the grill .

Mickdc2

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
thanks. That is the part number i ordered. The Type R logo can be reused. I just removed all the old tape residue and reapplied 3m tape and used an exacto knife to cut around the edges.
Did you order the rubber Moldings for front lip too?

Mickdc2

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
they actually didn't redo the front "splitter". At least what most of us here would call a splitter. Their wording was confusing.

they just messed with the rubber flap thing on the bottom of the bumper/undertray lol.

as you can see its deeper on the end and has like an air deflection on the end

6M7WulN.png
Hi bro any part numbers these for 2020 type?

Mickdc2

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
they actually didn't redo the front "splitter". At least what most of us here would call a splitter. Their wording was confusing.

they just messed with the rubber flap thing on the bottom of the bumper/undertray lol.

as you can see its deeper on the end and has like an air deflection on the end

6M7WulN.png
Do you have part numbers for them?

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don’t do this to there are very good reason not one single car manufacturer does coolant flow through rad hoses this way. And slight loss I coolant the reverse flow will pump air through the cooling system. Instead of channeling air to the bleeder hoses built into the system you now pump air to the bottom of the radiator. Also if the car comes close to overheating the boiling coolant will not longer go to the top of radiator but get stuck cause water pumps can’t pump air downward. Another reason not to do this is the secondary coolant sensor to turn the fans on earlier. Half the radiator still ha colder coolant in it. This is an ineffecient way to cool. You’ll burn up you rad fans running them non stop unless you tune the fans to run off the primary sensor and not the secondary sensor. Plus you now pull coolant from the top of the radiator and cause heat tends to go up you get inconsistent temp control. By pumping from the top down through a radiator allows more time equalize temp across the rad having greater cooling efficiency. That’s what the factory routing is that way. The only thing your doing is turning the fans on earlier: that’s where the temp difference is coming from.
You will not find a single race car done by pros doing this. You will not find a single manufacturer designing cars running coolaht this way. Coolant out of a motor always goes to the top of the rad and pulls cooler coolant from the bottom. If this worked Honda would have done it already.
just get a grille don’t waste money on this.
I am an A class master tech. I’ve been building cars on and off 20 years. The potential gain does not our weigh the risk. Now instead of heating up slowly near boiling temps it will just sky rocket in seconds.
When they released the reverse design I was intrigued by it. Russell Garehan, one of the Acuity managers is a Mechanical Engineer with years of experience in heat exchanger design especially in the high performance automotive industry. My money is on him designing something that won't damage our cars. He also did design work for Hybrid years back. At the end of the day though is a 2°C temp reduction even worth it when the page claims you need the other upgrades too? IMHO probably not.
Sponsored