Comparison 2020 Type R front grill to 2017-2019

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 CW Type R
Country flag
Ok cool does anyone no forsure if the grille fits the 17 bumper when i called honda they said its different part numbers on bumper but i read somewhere on here that its the same. He also told me that for the 2020 eyelids is different from the 17 but i kinda have feel he doesnt no what hes talking about. If anyone can verify that this grille will work on a 17 bumper and can reuse the original eye lids itll be much appreciated.
You canā€™t look a few posts prior???
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Ok cool does anyone no forsure if the grille fits the 17 bumper when i called honda they said its different part numbers on bumper but i read somewhere on here that its the same. He also told me that for the 2020 eyelids is different from the 17 but i kinda have feel he doesnt no what hes talking about. If anyone can verify that this grille will work on a 17 bumper and can reuse the original eye lids itll be much appreciated.
according to this guy you don't need the winglets. The part # is different for the '20 though. I am unsure as to why since i have never seen it and compared it in person. 17-19 eye lids are ~$40 while the '20 eye lids are $80 lol.
Honda Civic 10th gen Comparison 2020 Type R front grill to 2017-2019 yfXD40D

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
according to this guy you don't need the winglets. The part # is different for the '20 though. I am unsure as to why since i have never seen it and compared it in person. 17-19 eye lids are ~$40 while the '20 eye lids are $80 lol.
yfXD40D.png
Thanks for the info i will be ordering it soon and updating the process.

tailsctr916

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBP CTR
Country flag
You canā€™t look a few posts prior???
Look at what that person said the front bumper is the same part number and its not so you want me to take that info with out questioning it? Have you did any research on the part numbers before commenting?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
To address some of the concerns in here:

-Yes it fits the 17-19 front bumper, exactly the same holes for the screws etc....
-You don't need the winglets, 17-19 are the same.
-The opening is substantially bigger than 17-19 even with the tiny slits at the top closed off
-intake temps are unchanged, tested with PRL HVI Intake & Ktuner
-Uses rear H emblem and same Type R emblem as 17-19

Basically this grill was intended to allow more airflow to the radiator, the intake still gets air from the opening. The small slits at the top were useless, most of that air hit the top of the radiator with very little going to the intake. My educated guess as to why the part numbers have changed is, they made the grill from a different material. You can tell by just holding the two grills the new one feels different and it felt lighter slightly. I could be wrong, my old grill might just have been dirty, crusty, and weighed more cuz the emblems were still on it, but yeah...... idk

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
How hard is it to change the grill?
More of a question for yourself, if you feel confident removing your front bumper then it is only a few screws to remove it. Just gotta be gentle with the tabs

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
More of a question for yourself, if you feel confident removing your front bumper then it is only a few screws to remove it. Just gotta be gentle with the tabs
Oh, never moved the front bumper before lol

I wonder if the new spoiler will fit the 17-18 bumper as I heard the new grill causes some aerodynamic changes in terms of drag so Honda made the new front spoiler deeper?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Oh, never moved the front bumper before lol

I wonder if the new spoiler will fit the 17-18 bumper as I heard the new grill causes some aerodynamic changes in terms of drag so Honda made the new front spoiler deeper?
The new grill reduces downforce on the nose a little, so Honda redid the front splitter to improve downforce to compensate.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
The new grill reduces downforce on the nose a little, so Honda redid the front splitter to improve downforce to compensate.
they actually didn't redo the front "splitter". At least what most of us here would call a splitter. Their wording was confusing.

they just messed with the rubber flap thing on the bottom of the bumper/undertray lol.

hondanews said:
Like the 2020 Civic Hatchback on which itā€™s based, the 2020 Civic Type R receives updates to the front and rear bumpers with the addition of body-colored accents to the bumper cutouts. Additionally, Type R gets a new grille design with a 13-percent-larger opening that along with an updated radiator core delivers improved engine cooling in high-demand situations, such as track use, with a decrease in coolant temperature of up to 18Ā° F in testing. In a testament to Type R engineersā€™ attention to detail, a small reduction in front downforce resulting from the new larger grille opening was countered by a redesigned front spoiler under the bumper, which was made slightly deeper on the left and right sides and modified to include new ribbed sections on each end to deflect air back onto the spoiler.
as you can see its deeper on the end and has like an air deflection on the end

Honda Civic 10th gen Comparison 2020 Type R front grill to 2017-2019 6M7WulN

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
they actually didn't redo the front "splitter". At least what most of us here would call a splitter. Their wording was confusing.

they just messed with the rubber flap thing on the bottom of the bumper/undertray lol.

as you can see its deeper on the end and has like an air deflection on the end

6M7WulN.png
That's very interesting, thanks!

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Where is everyone getting their 2020 grille from?
you can order from your local honda dealer, any honda parts site, ebay, etc.
its an oem part. you can just about get it anywhere as long as american honda has it in stock.
Sponsored