First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a "data geek", too, but... Does it really matter when evidence shows vehicles lasting 200,000 to 300,000 miles or more on "standard" oil at the manufacturer's specified intervals? When's the last time you saw a Honda engine fail due to following Honda's recommendation for oil and intervals? What's the most miles you ever put on a vehicle before selling or trading it? Just stew on those questions for a while. :)
I'm just saying we've got like 5 people in here going "I know my car says to wait, but I don't know if I should" when there is some factual data in here lol
Sponsored

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
Not worth worryin about. My dealership sends a notice when the time comes, I go in and that's that.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Not worth worryin about. My dealership sends a notice when the time comes, I go in and that's that.
EGGzactly.

Will exotic/fancy/expensive engine oils allow your engine to last longer? Possibly. By how much? Who knows exactly.

Will more frequent oil changes than the manufacturer recommends allow your engine to last longer? Possibly. By how much? Who knows exactly.

Will you actually realize any benefits from this potential life increase during the time you own the vehicle? Almost certainly not. 99% of people won't keep a vehicle long enough to find out.

methan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - MSM
Country flag
At 7000 miles right now. Just waiting for maintenance light for 1st oil change... Will do more frequently after Stage 1 tune, due next week, based on Design's advice on a different thread.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Mine was changed when the minder hit 15%(9,700 miles) I never keep cars long enough to worry about changing it more often. I follow whatever the manual says. I would probably go to 5K intervals if I planned on putting 100K on a car.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I thought full synthetic would last a lot longer. With my 1999 Honda Prelude, it used organic oil and I changed it every 3K miles. With my MB, the oil change interval was supposed to be 10K miles and I changed it at 7K miles. BTW, the MB was my daily commute for 13-14 years and it had 230K original miles!

With this SI, I think I will change the oil at 85% of the oil life.

Divisi0n

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Grey Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just had my oil changed a couple days ago at the dealer with 15% oil life at about 6200mi.

I'm going by the book and taking it in whenever the car tells me to.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Just had my oil changed a couple days ago at the dealer with 15% oil life at about 6200mi.
I'm going by the book and taking it in whenever the car tells me to.
Agreed. I will do the same. 6K miles is reasonable.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
I'll get mine when the car tells me too . Have 2500k on it . So probably not for quite some time

OP
OP
Lcifer

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm just saying we've got like 5 people in here going "I know my car says to wait, but I don't know if I should" when there is some factual data in here lol
Wasn't 100% on the general details of the "new" Honda oil change intervals so I did the "break in" change with royal purple and the Lucas oil additive, STP high performance filter reset the MM and based on what I've read here will probably just use it from here on out, I guess i wasted some time and effort lol

Edit: thanks for the input everyone helpful as always

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Wasn't 100% on the general details of the "new" Honda oil change intervals so I did the "break in" change with royal purple and the Lucas oil additive, STP high performance filter reset the MM and based on what I've read here will probably just use it from here on out, I guess i wasted some time and effort lol
How did you reset the MM?

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
That applies to lower trim Civics. The MM on the Si is reset through the Display Audio screen.
Ya know...I tried both there and in the 'wrench' menu... I've cleared A...B...and ALL current minders...and it STILL keeps either A or B as needing attention...slightly more than irritating...
Sponsored