si_zaleski

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si MSM
Country flag
When do you guys recommend I should do the first oil change for the new Civic Si? The dealership told me that I should come back at 1,000 miles for a change since initial oil in the engine contains a "break-in additive" . and should be changed at 1,000 miles. I can't find anything about this in manual/minders.
They told me 5k, did it a little before that. I hear they don't come with a "break-in additive" anymore.
Sponsored

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Apparently, there are different opinions on the factory oil. Is this written somewhere?

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
That's what Honda recommends. The oil he mentioned has a break-in additive however. I'm at 7,600 miles with 30% on the minder.
honda doesn't recommend a tune either but you have it and the metal pieces are sloshing around as you go in and out of boost in your high heat turbo Si. Atleast I didn't and don't have a tune and I went almost 6k and the napkin test revealed it was black. Nearly nil and void of viscosity not to mention whatever additives you need to boost viscosity or thermal break-down and we haven't even gotten to wear metals and components at your 7000k miles and counting. gluttony for punishment much?

edit: can't fault much since I am a proponent of leaving FF in but your heat level is different from non-tune Civics.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I do the first change between 3-5k miles, then use OEM Honda brand synthetic for the first few changes then I switch and use whatever’s best on the market. Done this for past cars and never had a problem. I like Valvoline, Amsoil, and Castrol.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I do the first change between 3-5k miles, then use OEM Honda brand synthetic for the first few changes then I switch and use whatever’s best on the market. Done this for past cars and never had a problem. I like Valvoline, Amsoil, and Castrol.
What is your guideline? Full synthetic, half synthetic? Same weight 0w20?

If you use different oil, do you still follow the schedule of the Maintenacne Minder?

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe

If you use different oil, do you still follow the schedule of the Maintenacne Minder?
Always full synthetic, always use oil type that’s recommended, and always change my oil between 3-5k miles.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag

Ever since May, Honda started using Honda Genuine FULL synthetic at the dealer and I would change to that after FF. Same weight, 0w-20. You can follow the MMS to a T or use it loosely like I did for the FF only.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I will be changing out the Factory Fill at 3000 mls and replacing it with 0w-20 quaker state ultimate durability (has added moly which aids in break-in and is a dino/synth blend) then at 10% maintenance minder will got with full PAO4 synthetic amsoil SS 0w-30

The factory fill in my EXT at 3k mls reaked of gas dilution and it had the viscosity equivalent to that of water compared the the Quaker State oil that came out that still had good viscosity and no heavy gas dilution.
Not that I've followed oils much, but I wouldn't use Quaker State oil on a tricycle...unless they've gotten waaaaaaay better. I've heard more horror stories about QS than almost any other oil.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been hearing this argument for 10+ years especially with Honda engines.

1. Change the "break-in" oil as early as possible because of the metal fragments?

2. Leave it until the recommended OCI to help prolong the engine?

My CivicX is my second Honda the other was Acura RSX, both I didn't change until 7-8k/km but my other two Nissan I changed it early around 3-4k.

I can't tell you why. LOL

BTW, all four was changed to 0W-30. *knockonwood I never had any engine problems I only traded in out of boredom.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I've been hearing this argument for 10+ years especially with Honda engines.
1. Change the "break-in" oil as early as possible because of the metal fragments?
2. Leave it until the recommended OCI to help prolong the engine?
Yes, long time ago there was a concern about metal particles in new engines. Not sure if this was changed, maybe new engines are broken in in the factory.

If it is written officially by Honda, we should follow it. I myself do not have much faith in the service department.

Hondatec5131

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si sedan
Being a Honda technician, I’m just going to throw this out there and what I personally have seen in motors I’ve torn down/rebuilt. I have owned a 13 civic si, 16 accord and now a 17 si. I always change my oil between 3500 to 4750, I try to not go over 5,000. Same with my girlfriends civic. Now the “maintenance minder” is garbage, it goes off of your driving conditions. I have seen them go 10,000 miles, that is far to long. The maintenance minder system is why I put piston rings in accords, pilots, odyssey’s, And crvs. Just saying.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Being a Honda technician, I’m just going to throw this out there and what I personally have seen in motors I’ve torn down/rebuilt. I have owned a 13 civic si, 16 accord and now a 17 si. I always change my oil between 3500 to 4750, I try to not go over 5,000. Same with my girlfriends civic. Now the “maintenance minder” is garbage, it goes off of your driving conditions. I have seen them go 10,000 miles, that is far to long. The maintenance minder system is why I put piston rings in accords, pilots, odyssey’s, And crvs. Just saying.
3K to 5k is the oil change interval for organic oil.
Synthetic oil, although more expensive, is supposed to last longer.
???

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag

Hondatec5131

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si sedan
Please refer to the link below from edmunds. Of course, this is just one of the many opinions.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tips-advice/stop-changing-your-oil.html

I understand the whole synthetic vs conventional, I’m just saying from experience and seeing what I have seen. I change my oil 3500 to 4750. They make oil that is supposed to last a whole year, and it may last a whole year. But I would prefer to keep all of internal components clean and protected. Just my opinion. The picture is a rebuild I recently did on a V6 but we rebuild the 4cylinder just as much if not more

Honda Civic 10th gen First Oil Change 8BD3B119-9D34-4097-B8B1-99C0F02E32E2

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
In my MB, the recommended oil change interval is 9500 miles. I usually change it at 9000 miles and so far so good. My CLK350 is 13 years old with 240K miles and it is still going strong.

Of course it is great for the engine to change the oil more often. However, I am not a DIY person so I have to go in for service. Waste of time and resources if engine oil is changed way before its time.

BTW. My MB uses 8 litres of Mobile One and in Canada, it is $14-15CAN per litre. Just oil would cost me cost me $110. Adding $25 for Mb oil filter, we are talking about $140 just for parts.
Sponsored

Last edited: