First Oil Change

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Not that I've followed oils much, but I wouldn't use Quaker State oil on a tricycle...unless they've gotten waaaaaaay better. I've heard more horror stories about QS than almost any other oil.
I would not have used Quaker State either or a Fram filter but it's not the 90s anymore. Quaker State Ultimate Durability is one of the best synthetics you can buy. It is loaded with moly and was independently tested by 540 Rat as having the best wear protection of any 0w20 oil. I used it in my Accord Sport and recently put it in my Civic. Top quality oil for cheap.
Sponsored

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
BTW. Does Honda recommend 0w20 all year round?

XpoH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Being a Honda technician, I’m just going to throw this out there and what I personally have seen in motors I’ve torn down/rebuilt. I have owned a 13 civic si, 16 accord and now a 17 si. I always change my oil between 3500 to 4750, I try to not go over 5,000. Same with my girlfriends civic. Now the “maintenance minder” is garbage, it goes off of your driving conditions. I have seen them go 10,000 miles, that is far to long. The maintenance minder system is why I put piston rings in accords, pilots, odyssey’s, And crvs. Just saying.
Agree...
Plus, it is worth to do oil analisys and get TBN https://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php
It can show how your engine feels, how good is an oil and was it changed on time or not.
I will change my after first 1000 miles.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
What is the official recommendation from Honda?
I will search for it and this is what I will follow.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From owner's manual, 0W-20.

It even states other grades may be used if the grade recommended is not available.

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
I talked to a few Honda salesmen and I was surprised how little did they know about the cars.
All they know is how to rob you.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
All they know is how to rob you.
Most are trained to rob you lol, it’s that small group of salesman that do the job right and are honest and know about the brand and cars. I know a lot of reps and salesman and women that don’t know jack squat, even some of the techs, which shocked me honestly. But I also know a lot of good people, you have to search around.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The results all suggest that the Civic's factory MM is quite conservative on a stock powertrain. But I expect that to change as the rings wear in. The high fuel dilution is a concern for many, including me. But the consensus is that other critical measurements such as viscosity and wear metals are all in check.

For the record, Honda recommends keeping the factory fill for the full duration. And that's been reinforced through my conversations with two master techs at nearby dealerships. And to be bluntly honest, you're splitting hairs over oil quality and intervals unless keeping the car past 80-100K. Use any reputable branded API-certified oil, changing at the recommended interval, and you'll get to 100K pretty easily.

If you are planning to drive 100K+ (like many of us), or plan to mod the powertain, all bets are off. At that point, you can read up on the available data for our cars below. GL.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/1-5t-amsoil-ss-0w20-uoa-thread.9610/
http://www.civicx.com/threads/the-oil-thread.684/

Last edited:

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
From owner's manual, 0W-20.
It even states other grades may be used if the grade recommended is not available.
I am referring to specific on the first oil change.
There are conflicting information here. Some say to follow the maintenance minder, some say to change earlier and some say to say later.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Design is very knowledgeable I'd take his advice.
Sponsored