First Oil Change

CW0731

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Elantra Gt, 2017 Civic Si
When do you guys recommend I should do the first oil change for the new Civic Si? The dealership told me that I should come back at 1,000 miles for a change since initial oil in the engine contains a "break-in additive" . and should be changed at 1,000 miles. I can't find anything about this in manual/minders.
Sponsored

si_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When do you guys recommend I should do the first oil change for the new Civic Si? The dealership told me that I should come back at 1,000 miles for a change since initial oil in the engine contains a "break-in additive" . and should be changed at 1,000 miles. I can't find anything about this in manual/minders.
I would just follow what the maintenance minder says. If you can't find any information on the manual or technical publications, I would directly speak with Honda Inc. Sales people are there just for the sales; but if you really want to take of the car, then by all means.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I’ve never heard of that.. I wouldn’t do that.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is absolutely not Honda’s recommendation. Just follow the maintenance minder.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I would just follow what the maintenance minder says. If you can't find any information on the manual or technical publications, I would directly speak with Honda Inc. Sales people are there just for the sales; but if you really want to take of the car, then by all means.
I talked to a few Honda salesmen and I was surprised how little did they know about the cars.

OP
OP

CW0731

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, if I can get your opinions on the maintenance minders...I'm a bit old school and think the oil should be changed more-or-less based on milage driven (e.g. Synthetic ~ 5-7K). The maintenance minders (e.g. the oil life indicator) doesn't actually test the condition of the oil (e.g. pH, contaminants, etc) and probably just based on engine cycles.

OP
OP

CW0731

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, if I can get your opinions on the maintenance minders...I'm a bit old school and think the oil should be changed more-or-less based on milage driven (e.g. Synthetic ~ 5-7K). The maintenance minders (e.g. the oil life indicator) doesn't actually test the condition of the oil (e.g. pH, contaminants, etc) and probably just based on engine cycles.

si_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's correct! If the maintenance minder did tell us the pH, contaminants, etc., S.O.A.P (Spectrometric oil analysis Program) would be extinct and this relatively cheap car would be a whole lot more expensive!:nixon:

OP
OP

CW0731

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I talked to a few Honda salesmen and I was surprised how little did they know about the cars.
I've never met a sales person that new anything about a car. They'd throw in their wives and daughters if it meant closing a deal; that's all they car about. I once asked if a car had a zero clearance (CRV 2010) engine and he asked if I were a mechanic. No one does any work on there own cars and looks for the "expert".

Same experience while I was shopping for a house...I never met a real estate agent that new anything about a house. They assume I'm a contractor when I ask the most simplest things (e.g. 200amp vs 100 amp service)

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
This is why I went 5801 miles on the FF. This was about 1500 more miles than the MMS but it's the FF with the break-in additive!! Then, subsequent to the FF, I went back to the dealer for the first oil change cause they use the Honda oil and I figured atleast .5 quarts are still in there, undrained, and probably why my oil is a bit overfilled but who cares if I get a second shot at break-in, further seating things in better than avg. Remember, aside from cars, we live in a 50/50 world meaning just being better than avg is a whole exponent better. By exponent, I mean power of 2, ^ 2, and who wouldn't want that!

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I've never met a sales person that new anything about a car. They'd throw in their wives and daughters if it meant closing a deal; that's all they car about. I once asked if a car had a zero clearance (CRV 2010) engine and he asked if I were a mechanic. No one does any work on there own cars and looks for the "expert".
Same experience while I was shopping for a house...I never met a real estate agent that new anything about a house. They assume I'm a contractor when I ask the most simplest things (e.g. 200amp vs 100 amp service)
Yes, the car salesmen say this and that just to sell a car but they are not accountable.

For example, one salesman told me that there was a full size spare tire in the Civic trunk. I had to show him that there was only a temporary donut. Surprised that there is no law to regulate this industry.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I will be changing out the Factory Fill at 3000 mls and replacing it with 0w-20 quaker state ultimate durability (has added moly which aids in break-in and is a dino/synth blend) then at 10% maintenance minder will got with full PAO4 synthetic amsoil SS 0w-30

The factory fill in my EXT at 3k mls reaked of gas dilution and it had the viscosity equivalent to that of water compared the the Quaker State oil that came out that still had good viscosity and no heavy gas dilution.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I will be changing out the Factory Fill at 3000 mls and replacing it with 0w-20 quaker state ultimate durability (has added moly which aids in break-in and is a dino/synth blend) then at 10% maintenance minder will got with full PAO4 synthetic amsoil SS 0w-30
The factory fill in my EXT at 3k mls reaked of gas dilution and it had the viscosity equivalent to that of water compared the the Quaker State oil that came out that still had good viscosity and no heavy gas dilution.
This is confusing, I read here that we should keep the factory oil as long as possible.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
This is confusing, I read here that we should keep the factory oil as long as possible.
That's what Honda recommends. The oil he mentioned has a break-in additive however. I'm at 7,600 miles with 30% on the minder.
Sponsored