People tailgating a lot more in the Type R.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
It's been one week with my CTR and I definitely notice this. I've been seeing more sport hatches and SI rush up on my ass so I move over and they match speed but I just ignore them. Usually while cruising 120km/h on the highway as well. I've never had anyone try to bait me into a race before so it's funny, but not trying to get a ticket.

Slowest type R driver in Ottawa here :)
If the car drives up next to you and matches speed sometimes they want to give you a thumbs up. I've seen this happen more with Si's than with Sport Hatches (but have had it happen with Sport Hatches and even Accords). They tend to not want to race, especially if it's congested.
Sponsored

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
People are assholes. And when they are in their cars/trucks they become super-assholes. I see it all the time... the little power plays they enact on the roadway.

From people doing <= PSL if the fast lane who refuse to move over, to assholes that match the speed of vehicle in the slower lanes so you can't pass.

I try to let it go, but sometimes I throw the the bird and am ready top get out of the vehicle.

Assholes that weave in and out of rush-hour traffic, assholes that tailgate in stop & go traffic.

This seems to happen a lot on rural roads, where Mr. & Mrs. Bumpkin won;t let anyone pass or drive over PSL.

Coming back from VIR today I had some woman in a big duallie that would sometimes touch PSL. Every time there was a passing zone, the duallie would move over to about a 3rd of the other lane, blocking anyone from passing. I got pissed and gave her the bird.

I really don;t understand why people have to be such assholes (even women) behind the wheel.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
If the car drives up next to you and matches speed sometimes they want to give you a thumbs up. I've seen this happen more with Si's than with Sport Hatches (but have had it happen with Sport Hatches and even Accords). They tend to not want to race, especially if it's congested.
While this is true, so far all of them have tried to race me (SMALL SAMPLE SIZE!)

I would be more than glad to exchange props with someone however :)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
While this is true, so far all of them have tried to race me (SMALL SAMPLE SIZE!)

I would be more than glad to exchange props with someone however :)
I've really had the opposite happen for the most part. I've had one person try to race me when I first got the car, he was in a Pontiac G8 at a stop light (to be honest, probably would be an interesting race since they have similar power to weight ratios). My car was breaking in and I am very against street racing of any type. But he was the only one I've had challenge me.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't what? Speed up or move out of the way?

If you can't move out of the way then you speed up, if you can't speed up then you move out of the way. If you can't do either, then there is a good chance that person "tailgating" you can't either.

The CTR doesn't have a problem with being tailgated, it's the bad drivers driving behind you and your attention to the fact that they are driving behind you making you think that.

Every forum has this exact same topic because people are very enthusiastic about thinking their car is all that, but it just not be like that. (Don't get me wrong, I love the CTR).

A person is not forced to tailgate.... They don't need to go the speed of the traffic and ride your ass... They can slow down briefly and then resume proper speed and adhere clear distance ahead. Just my 2cents

Edit: This same rule applies to the "one and done" rule, or the "one and one" rule for merging... Everyone wants to cut everyone else off behind them because they think they will get to their destination faster, which is simply not the case....

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I’ve noticed this when I had my 2004 tiburon pickup trucks would race up to me and try to run me off the run
It never happened when I had my Jetta but my 2014 Elantra coupe and now my civic coupe. I think these pickup truck drivers hate Japanese cars ( the Hyundai’s are Korean ) but especially Dodge Ram pickups
And these is from Long Island to Florida. Florida is the worst I’ve said this before on other threads I think their just jealous because they paid a lot for something that’s slow doesn’t handle drinks a lot of gas and maybe get to put something in the bed at least once a year ( maybe a Christmas tree) so they have to take out all their frustration something they really wanted which is a sporty Japanese car

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve noticed this when I had my 2004 tiburon pickup trucks would race up to me and try to run me off the run
It never happened when I had my Jetta but my 2014 Elantra coupe and now my civic coupe. I think these pickup truck drivers hate Japanese cars ( the Hyundai’s are Korean ) but especially Dodge Ram pickups
And these is from Long Island to Florida. Florida is the worst I’ve said this before on other threads I think their just jealous because they paid a lot for something that’s slow doesn’t handle drinks a lot of gas and maybe get to put something in the bed at least once a year ( maybe a Christmas tree) so they have to take out all their frustration something they really wanted which is a sporty Japanese car

"Maybe a Christmas Tree"

LOL so true...

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
A person is not forced to tailgate.... They don't need to go the speed of the traffic and ride your ass... They can slow down briefly and then resume proper speed and adhere clear distance ahead. Just my 2cents

Edit: This same rule applies to the "one and done" rule, or the "one and one" rule for merging... Everyone wants to cut everyone else off behind them because they think they will get to their destination faster, which is simply not the case....
Not really sure on the point you're trying to make here, it's rather unclear.

My message was this: CTR is not the problem, other drivers are the problem, and you noticing negative experiences more because you care about your CTR more than other vehicles.

I live in a busy city, so maybe my opinion is biased, but I deal with the same bad drivers everyday regardless of what I am driving that day.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

your right and i totally agree with you but if the other driver wants to, just lane change or speed up and get out of his way and let him go 20 over if he wants to. Preventing an idiot like that from getting in front of you by slowing down on purpose or matching the speed with the car next to you so he cant get by is a good way to introduce road rage into that person and create unnecessary contact and possible danger to me and my family. It is not worth it.

Tail gating happens in any car. If the guy behind me wants to be an ass and tail gate, he will tail gate whatever car is in front of him. CTR or not.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not really sure on the point you're trying to make here, it's rather unclear.

My message was this: CTR is not the problem, other drivers are the problem, and you noticing negative experiences more because you care about your CTR more than other vehicles.

I live in a busy city, so maybe my opinion is biased, but I deal with the same bad drivers everyday regardless of what I am driving that day.

My point was... someone is not tailgating because another person cannot move over or speed up. They are tailgating because they are being an ass, or practicing unsafe driving habits. I live in Miami so I see some of the most INSANE ish I have ever seen in my life... People tailgate nice cars here ALL THE TIME. Was I tailgated in my Jeep? Yes I absolutely was, However, I get tailgated way more in my CTR. I absolutely care about it, yes, but It for sure happens more now than before.

When I am being tailgated, I do my best to move over. I never speed up because I am usually doing the speed limit or +5 MPH over. I get tailgated and the driver behind me could absolutely go to the left. I also get tailgated when I use my turn signal and I move over when there is PLENTY of space between me and the car next to me and they can move over to the left if they wanted, but they just chose to tailgate me instead. Usually this is a big truck or someone who thinks their car is nicer or faster than mine.

My point was people choose to tailgate. There is NO OTHER reason.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I hate tailgaters. I always leave plenty of room even when at a stop. I see so many people get inches away from the car ahead. I leave enough room to pull out in the event of an emergency. I laugh when I see an accident where one car hits the car ahead then that car does the same. The car in the middle with front and rear damage. Keep a safe distance and avoid being sandwiched.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I get tailgated often in the ctr. My tactic is to do the speed limit in the far right lane. They now have to be going the speed limit to tail gate me, which rarely happens anymore. I sometimes get a middle laner cutting me off in the right to pass a middle laner in front but I can anticipate those and slow accordingly. I do, however, have lots of folks "catching up and pacing" me. I try to just ignore them.
Pretty soon, the wife and I will be looking for ~30 acres in Colorado so I can be around as few other humans as possible! Can't wait lol

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
It's annoying but let their insurance buy me a new type r in the color I really want. Sonic grey pearl.
Little do they know cameras in every direction.

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Literally had the R for an hour and two people tried to race me. When I don’t bite they look over at me like I shit in their cereal.

maybe it’s the big wing but for some reason the car brings it out of people.

Naruske

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
One time i had a girl tailgating me in her jeep while heading home from school. There is a right turn curve that majority of people take slow as its kind of sharp but i take it pretty fast. I guess she thought that since i was taking it fast she could also do the same and lets just say she is lucky there is no metal railing there or she would have hit it. She ended up not being able to take the turn and went into the grass.
Sponsored