If Honda Actually an AWD 2019 CTR, Would You Pay Extra for It?

dn7309

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Country flag
With the rummors of Honda releasing multiple version of the CTR, which may include an AWD, I was thinking. If Honda does release an AWD would anyone wants it?

I personally, would stick with the FWD version since thats how I always knew the Type-R to be (except NSX). The thought of an AWD CTR soudn out of place. This is my opinion as of now.
Sponsored

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Probably not. Heavier, less net power, probably less nimble, more expensive. It should easily match and probably outdo the competition's standing start metrics though.
Maybe if it were RWD, might be worthy of a consideration lol.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
I would since I use the CTR as my daily. I live in the northeast and we get all four seasons with a fair share of snow/ice. I came from 03 Pilot EX-L and 09 Pilot Touring and was very thankful for the AWD during my daily 80 mile commutes during inclement weather.

Last edited:

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Probably not. Heavier, less net power, probably less nimble, more expensive. It should easily match and probably outdo the competition's standing start metrics though.
Maybe if it were RWD, might be worthy of a consideration lol.
It will come first a new S2000 than a Civic RWD - not a true market for it, here in the States - we just learned how to drive stick, now imagine how to drive RWD for the regular buyers :D:D The more real possibility, it is actually an AWD version of the Civic with an Acura badge, since both cars share a modular chassis. If there is a God that like us, we can have an special edition at some point in life, such as the Mugen RR, that would be amazing :love:

jinderC

Personally, I would NOT get the AWD. The Current CTR proves you don't need it.
And why would would anyone want it?..... driving in the snow??
AWD adds weight
weight kills handling

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
x10 for not wanting it.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
If you ever want a Type R that performs markedly better than the current one then AWD is the only direction they can go not to mention it would make for a good all around car in colder climates like the STI.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
If I were in the market for a CTR, I definitely would. AWD makes it a different type of beast and sure it is "heavier" but unless your going to track the car a lot, you probably wouldn't notice it too much. You don't necessarily NEED awd for snow but it makes it that much better as a daily driver if it is. Plus the idea of a manual turbo hatch from Honda is really appealing to me.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
It will come first a new S2000 than a Civic RWD - not a true market for it, here in the States - we just learned how to drive stick, now imagine how to drive RWD for the regular buyers :D:D The more real possibility, it is actually an AWD version of the Civic with an Acura badge, since both cars share a modular chassis. If there is a God that like us, we can have an special edition at some point in life, such as the Mugen RR, that would be amazing :love:

Great stuff Fury. Thanks for posting. Have not seen this before. Wow, that seating position in the RR does seem like his in an 18-wheeler. I do love the sound, and a 9k redline....that's really the only thing that bugs me about the FK8. Just when things start getting fun, you run out of revs.....I also like the fact that the only thing directly in front of your eyes is a nice big tach. Very similar to the Mini Cooper's (before BMW had their way with that brand and homogenized everything). Only 300 made...wow....that is a killer car.

Regarding AWD. I have not had the CTR on a track yet, but with the very spirited driving I have done on the twisties and hills in southeastern Ohio, the car rotates so freaking well as it is. Like a lot of reviewers say, it's hard to believe it is FWD, until you push it just a little too far (which takes a lot of doing), inducing that nasty FWD understeer. If they upped the HP/torque to something north of 350 to accommodate the extra weight/drive system with AWD, I would seriously give that a look.

Last edited:

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, I'd save my money for the equally as mythical 2.0T powered Honda RWD coupe which will also never be made. Don't get me wrong, I love my AWD 6-speed Honda (Acura TL) but for more reasons than I care to write out, the CTR, FWD or not, absolutely destroys it, on any paved road - straight or twisty. More weight, different chassis balance, less power to the wheels in a car that is already at 10/10ths due to heat output so you're not going to overpower those tradeoffs. You'd also probably get different gearing to take advantage of AWD and IMO, the gearing of this car is half the fun.

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
I would not be interested. While I like AWD in inclement weather I am nt as big a fan for spirited driving and day to day driving around town. Plus it would be a gas guzzler.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I would not be interested. While I like AWD in inclement weather I am nt as big a fan for spirited driving and day to day driving around town. Plus it would be a gas guzzler.
This is not really true. The current FWD Type R has nearly identical fuel milage to a Golf R. Subaru's fleet of AWD cars are not guzzlers. Adding a driveshaft and rear differential can be done without adding a lot of weight.

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
This is not really true. The current FWD Type R has nearly identical fuel milage to a Golf R. Subaru's fleet of AWD cars are not guzzlers. Adding a driveshaft and rear differential can be done without adding a lot of weight.
Subarus? Ive owned 2 WRXs and they both are worse on gas than the FK8 is based on what Ive seen people state they are getting in theirs. My other AWD car was an Evo X and with that one I was lucky to get average 15 mpg out of it (though it was making close to 400hp to the wheels). As far as the Golf R I cant speak to that because I am not a fan of VW's and have never shopped them.
Sponsored