If Honda Actually an AWD 2019 CTR, Would You Pay Extra for It?

jmartin

Rouleur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ctr 2015 Challenger srt 2016 Yamaha R1m 2002 Gmc Lifted Duramax
I would definitely choose Awd over Fwd. 4g63 Awd had me addicted since the 90’s Only reason I bought the Ctr is to try something different. I love the car but will lose interest like I always do and buy something else. Had for two months and already eyeing up a Zl1
Sponsored

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I would not want an awd Type R in the conventional since due to extra weight and powertrain loss. I would be interested in the new Orbis awd system though.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Don’t buy a car meant for the track and complain it doesnt outperform AWD cars in 4” of snow lol?

Like saying I’d want my cayman s AWD so I can drive it in the snow faster going uphill passing in deep powder. Nope
I could easily substitute 4" of powder at reasonable speeds with rain and standing water at track speeds.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So it looks like up to 50hp per wheel. And is that also approximately 78 ft lbs to each wheel?
Anyone that followed the link might be able to chime in.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I don't think that the Orbis AWD device is a consumer product. According to their own site, their CTR had to have its rear seats removed to make this work. The "kit" costs $10K, and requires some manner of manual engagement by way of a thumb switch on the dash. It also doesn't come with batteries, which you would need to wire to the wheels, modify your car to house them, and then figure out how to remove and charge them. It says plug and play, but gives no details.

This is not a PRL-style, ready to install kit. They appear to be selling the conceptual technology to anyone looking to make huge modifications to their car.

Last edited:

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@davemarco I've also seen where they were removing the rear seats but I thought that was on a concept. I thought they were putting all the extra goodies for the consumer in the trunk. But maybe that's just where people are gonna put the batteries. If the only option is to remove the rear seats they'll lose a lot of potential customers.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
@davemarco I've also seen where they were removing the rear seats but I thought that was on a concept. I thought they were putting all the extra goodies for the consumer in the trunk. But maybe that's just where people are gonna put the batteries. If the only option is to remove the rear seats they'll lose a lot of potential customers.
I'm rooting for them to come up with an integrated solution that charges from the alternator or some other unobtrusive method that would allow you to DD. Right now, this seems less like an AWD conversion and more like something that you put on for track day.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I could easily substitute 4" of powder at reasonable speeds with rain and standing water at track speeds.
Hate to tell you this but water will affect your AWD civic on performance tires all the same. You’re not going to be cornering or braking hard on performance tires in rain. You have slightly better traction but still a slow AF lap time. No one cares about wet laps we aren’t Le Mans

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I would have to drive it before making a decision. I daily drive my CTR but live in Texas so we get two weeks of winter each year and the roads are flat, so no real need for AWD for those aspects. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever driven an AWD car in my life.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Hate to tell you this but water will affect your AWD civic on performance tires all the same. You’re not going to be cornering or braking hard on performance tires in rain. You have slightly better traction but still a slow AF lap time. No one cares about wet laps we aren’t Le Mans
You tried to counter my argument with "but the CTR is a track car". I mention rain and you then switched to "but no one cares about wet laps."

Wow, if you can't see how dense you are, then i at least hope you only do this online and you don't try to drag everyone else down in real life like this.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You tried to counter my argument with "but the CTR is a track car". I mention rain and you then switched to "but no one cares about wet laps."

Wow, if you can't see how dense you are, then i at least hope you only do this online and you don't try to drag everyone else down in real life like this.
Huh I don’t see what’s so confusing. It’s wet laps would suffer just as much as an evo or sti on the same tires. No one cares about wet lap times either. Sorry you don’t understand how to modulate a gas pedal in second gear.

I eagerly await your Porsche GT3 RS snow reviews

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Huh I don’t see what’s so confusing. It’s wet laps would suffer just as much as an evo or sti on the same tires. No one cares about wet lap times either. Sorry you don’t understand how to modulate a gas pedal in second gear.

I eagerly await your Porsche GT3 RS snow reviews
Yeah yeah go start an argument somewhere else so I can move on with my life.

Throwing childish insults with every post to try to seem superior gets old fairly quick and only makes you that person that everyone looks at and says "wow, I guess my life is pretty good because at least I'm not as bitter all the time as that guy!"

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just like hearing your snow reviews of performance cars though
Sponsored