If Honda offered the CTR in a coupe, would you have bought it?

If Honda offered the CTR in a coupe, would you have bought it?

• Total voters

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
Wife probably wouldn't let me get it. She ok’d the hatch because of the 4 doors, for when we have kids.
I agree - not because the wife "let" me buy it, but since I only can really afford one car it had to be able to support the family. I probably wouldn't have purchased a coupe due to the inconvenience whenever you have more than one passenger (including kids.)
Sponsored

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I much prefer four doors, and the hatch is a bonus. I've had two prior sports sedans (1997 E36 M3 and 2014 S4) and one coupe (2003 E46 M3). While the E46 M3 was my favorite of the 3, if BMW had offered an M3 sedan at the time, I would have bought it. With kids and the occasional need to haul something that won't fit in a typical trunk, the CTR gives me what I want and what I need.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I prefer coupes all day, and I'm not very excited about the extra doors on the Type-R but I don't exactly have a choice.

sev1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Honda Accord V6 6sp
Country flag
I saw an Si Coupe rolling yesterday and it looked so good. I can imagine a Type R Coupe would also look amazing.

callmedh

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
For me, the practicality of the 4 doors (with a usable back seat!) and hatch were important to me. A coupe would not be in my driveway.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Maybe

Since my daily driver is an Accord Coupe I didn't mind the Type R being a 4 door hatchback. Now if my daily was a sedan, then I probably would have wanted the Type R to have 2 doors.

OP
OP
BoostedSiCoupe

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The coupe's back seat area is surprisingly quite roomy.

callmedh

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The coupe's back seat area is surprisingly quite roomy.
I wasn't really commenting on the room in the back seat of a coupe (which I have not seen), but rather that the back seat is not a "token" back seat like other sport/sporty cars that I have seen. Adults can actually sit back there without being contortionists.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wasn't really commenting on the room in the back seat of a coupe (which I have not seen), but rather that the back seat is not a "token" back seat like other sport/sporty cars that I have seen. Adults can actually sit back there without being contortionists.
As long as they are not taller than 5'10, 5'11. My 6 foot step son has to slouch in the back seat because he head hits the window if he sits upright.

mpt2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I wouldn’t have bought my CTR if it was a coupe. I needed a car that I could throw the kids and the dog in otherwise my wife wouldn’t have let me. :)

mpt2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
As long as they are not taller than 5'10, 5'11. My 6 foot step son has to slouch in the back seat because he head hits the window if he sits upright.
In the hatch its the same for me

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Pretty sure I would've bought the CTR either way.

I had one real requirement, it had to be blue. Neutral colors are blah to me (white, black, grey), and I can't deal with red at all.

Being a 5 door was just another tick in the benefits column to be honest. Since we're planning on expanding the family, 4 doors is more practical for our life.

I don't think that I would've balked if it were only 2 doors though.

Given the choice of the two side by side, I probably would've opted for the 4 door.

Coupes always look better IMO, but practicality trumps aesthetics for me.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Probably not. There are better sports cars out there in two doors than the Type R but literally none better in the 4-door market at the CTR’s price point.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Imagine a person without a neck. That’s how I feel about coupe.

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
The 10th gen coupes look nice and all but this is a hot hatch, always has been in all generations. The FD2 being the odd sibling.

I didn't really consider any other body type tbh. Having a GTI and then trying the sedan thing for a bit left me missing the extra practicality, even if the Accord was a nice place to be in. If Subaru had a good option I would have at least given that a test drive, the RS was nice too but not something I'd want to live in day-in day-out.
Sponsored