ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I want to say a quick thanks to everyone that’s responded. Knowing that my thoughts aren’t only my own is a comfort. I think I lost sight of why I bought this car in the first place. It is far safer, more comfortable, faster, and more fuel efficient than the car it replaced.

It sounds to me that I was on the right track with the Type R RMM, I think I’ll try to continue down that route and shoot for removing some of the stock numbness/squishiness. Hopefully I can find a good balance.
Sounds like a stiffer suspension and a 27won street/race rear motor mount would be something you’ll like. Throw a type r shifter and the stage 1 acuity Kit for it while you’re at it or just the cable bushing alone. Makes the car feel a little bit more raw which seems like is what you miss.
Sponsored

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would go full acuity. Love that damn shifter.

Manatee Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si; Toyota Avalon Hybrid
Country flag
When the OP first started the thread, I was thinking that in some ways, my 2020 Si sedan was sort of lacking a bit in character. I kept looking at pics of CTR's and was even contemplating maybe trading my Si in for a CTR. Well, a local dealership got in one of what is likely the last 2021 Swindon built CTR's in Championship White and I drove to the dealership with a checkbook in my back pocket. I have seen a couple of CTR's on the street and one at an autocross but never had sat in one. So, this morning, I looked at the brand spanking new 2021 Type R, sat in the driver's and passenger seat (that for for my wife's sake to make sure that it would be at least as comfortable as the Si on the few occasions that we ride in this car together). Well, let me cut to the chase and this is strictly one person's opinion, the CTR looked to me to be way over the top stylistically both inside and out! All the faux stuff and the barely passable installation of the faux parts was not that appealing to me and I realized I had temporarily lost my mind thinking the car would be a significant upgrade for me. The interior was beyond gaudy with all of that red on the front seats. I can now say that I am definitely loving my Si sedan more and appreciating how capable it is for the money. I have a bit of a problem with the gratuitous rear spoiler on my Si but hey, that is how they come. I just couldn't ever handle that huge spoiler on the CTR. BTW, the dealer had thrown a $20k markup on their CTR which made me laugh even harder than the looks.

Last edited:

Melvinspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR; 2015 Ford Flex
Country flag
I can appreciate that the Type R (10th gen) looks aren't for everyone, but you didn't drive it. Which is where it goes light years beyond an Si.

Having said that, no way are they worth the markups dealers are putting on them.

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This may be due to nostalgia about Honda’s I’ve had in the past, but I’m having a hard time making an emotional connection with this car. Sometimes I think it’s a result of all the compliance Honda built into it, making it a more sterile experience. I guess my question is, is there something I’m missing, some mod (besides tuning, I’ve already done that) that makes driving it a more visceral experience? I’d prefer not to move on from this platform, but I don’t want to stay financially invested in it if it just is what it is.
i can agree with this statement now since i own both a 10th gen and a 6th gen currently! as much as i love my si and its a far better daily and its faster and overall a great car it just doesnt have the charm my 98 coupe has..... sure its slow and missing a door card and the passenger window doesnt work.... and leaks oil and the exhuast just may be about to fall off and the trans output bearing is going out haha but man ill tell you what no matter what its always so much fun to rip around in and even my dad who isnt a car person likes my little red shitbox over my 2019 saying it shifts nicer and just hooks better (helps i have sticky tires and its lowered on coilovers) even thou its slow. but at the same time i like the si a lot as well its a great daily thats fun to rip back and forth to work i have thought about selling it and getting a tow rig but every time i do i just dont.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
I came to the Civic from a 2015 Fit. After getting a ktuner (thanks gtman for your continuing service to the community) and some better tires, I was amazed at the power and the grip. Months later, as I'm getting used to the horsepower, and taking advantage of the grip when the wife isn't in the car, the excitement is starting to wear off. Not getting tired of the car by any means, but as it becomes more familiar and comfortable, the Fit is getting driven more than I expected.

This is despite the Fit being a worse car in every measurable respect. It has less power, worse brakes, no LSD, by comparison a notchy shifter, more road noise, and the handling isn't at all in the same class. But it's light and raw. At least, after I lowered it and put a downpipe on it. It's more fun in a visceral way, even when I'm going slower.

I think a lot of people would really enjoy a Fit Si- add rear discs from the JDM model, stiffer suspension they already offer with the HFP package, more rear roll stiffness and a K24, and you'd have an incredibly fun car. More practical to use the base Civic 1.5t, but NA engines always feel more alive in my experience.

Obviously that will never happen. But a guy can dream... or wait for a Fit engine swap kit to finally happen.

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I came to the Civic from a 2015 Fit. After getting a ktuner (thanks gtman for your continuing service to the community) and some better tires, I was amazed at the power and the grip. Months later, as I'm getting used to the horsepower, and taking advantage of the grip when the wife isn't in the car, the excitement is starting to wear off. Not getting tired of the car by any means, but as it becomes more familiar and comfortable, the Fit is getting driven more than I expected.

This is despite the Fit being a worse car in every measurable respect. It has less power, worse brakes, no LSD, by comparison a notchy shifter, more road noise, and the handling isn't at all in the same class. But it's light and raw. At least, after I lowered it and put a downpipe on it. It's more fun in a visceral way, even when I'm going slower.

I think a lot of people would really enjoy a Fit Si- add rear discs from the JDM model, stiffer suspension they already offer with the HFP package, more rear roll stiffness and a K24, and you'd have an incredibly fun car. More practical to use the base Civic 1.5t, but NA engines always feel more alive in my experience.

Obviously that will never happen. But a guy can dream... or wait for a Fit engine swap kit to finally happen.
the fit was a odd car but it was fun the one i drove one day because boredom and curiosity and agree if they made a si model with just some fun bits it would be a great car for the price but sadly its dead so no kei (i think thats how its spelt) cars for us

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I have never driven the older Si's with the infamous high revving motors. From fellow members here and owners i spoke to in the past, they sound like a hoot.

As for the 10th Generation Si with Turbo motor, the power delivery comes on smooth and refined. It is a great affordable compact family car, that is roomy and sporty to drive.

My old '08 Jetta with a 5 banger, is much slower, but has charm. The steering has more feedback, and I guess with the analog gages it provides more personality.

Do what other members recommend, i.e. exhaust, shifter upgrades etc. You will enjoy your Si more.

Good luck and have fun with your decision:)

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I dunno. When I had my s2k, I always wanted the turbo noises. Now that I have that (sorta. Small turbo), I really miss that VTEC crossover. I think we're just wired to always want what we don't have. Human nature. I'm in love with this car though. Looks great, handles great, weighs about the same as an s2k and it's got some giddyup. Only complaint is that the engine sounds like a damn microwave without a bunch of mods lol.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
If the car not putting a smile on your face every time you get on, it’s not your car.
I was on the same boat before. Even tuned, the 1.5t cvt just not fun for me. Until I got the GTI :)

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are only happy with a car that will rev to the moon, this is not your car. Sell it while the getting is good. Many people would love to have your SI.
Mods help, but not sure if any will solve your main complaint about the rev limit. If you wind up having great shifter feel, a great sounding exhaust, more speed, custom touches inside and out, and still are just going to hate on it for not revving like an S2K or Integra R, then sell it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If the car not putting a smile on your face every time you get on, it’s not your car.
I was on the same boat before. Even tuned, the 1.5t cvt just not fun for me. Until I got the GTI :)
You bought that GTI well over a year ago. It's interesting that you still hang out at the Civic forum to tell everyone how unimpressive the 10th gen Civic is.

Things slow at the VW forums?

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
This may be due to nostalgia about Honda’s I’ve had in the past, but I’m having a hard time making an emotional connection with this car. Sometimes I think it’s a result of all the compliance Honda built into it, making it a more sterile experience. I guess my question is, is there something I’m missing, some mod (besides tuning, I’ve already done that) that makes driving it a more visceral experience? I’d prefer not to move on from this platform, but I don’t want to stay financially invested in it if it just is what it is.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
I drove a 2018 Si before I took home my CTR. I thought the car had great torque and was fun, but a little sterile. The CTR is totally different, it just has that 'something' ingrained in it whether you are going 30 mph in 5th gear around town, going through the gears in R mode, or taking a curve or 2. I do not know what Honda did to it but it is one of the primary aspects of the car that make it so fun to drive.
I also took 2 trips to Vegas, about 600 miles each, over a 30 d period and I can't believe what a wonderful car it is for that trip. It loves cruising at 75 mph, has tremendous 'passing power' above this speed, has super comfortable seats, and gets 35 mpg too.

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
I drove a 2018 Si before I took home my CTR. I thought the car had great torque and was fun, but a little sterile. The CTR is totally different, it just has that 'something' ingrained in it whether you are going 30 mph in 5th gear around town, going through the gears in R mode, or taking a curve or 2. I do not know what Honda did to it but it is one of the primary aspects of the car that make it so fun to drive.
I also took 2 trips to Vegas, about 600 miles each, over a 30 d period and I can't believe what a wonderful car it is for that trip. It loves cruising at 75 mph, has tremendous 'passing power' above this speed, has super comfortable seats, and gets 35 mpg too.
I can attest to this. The CTR is probably much more what OP wants and is looking for, I simply couldn't justify the cost vs. the pluses of the CTR over the Si, in Cali. The plus about having the Si...you may be able to find the "thing" you're looking for with further mods and while you may not want to invest any more money in it, you can maybe find additional comfort knowing that if you truly aren't satisfied, those parts can be sold and probably very quickly. Just make sure you keep all the OEM parts lol.
Sponsored