My review of the Si coupe

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Which is why I'm glad my EX-L sedan was fresh off the truck with 3 miles on it. You know damn well buying a car with a turbo, test drivers will beat on it a little to see what it's got. It's not just the engine, the brakes need proper break in too. I want to break my car in my way.

Here's a good read from R&T on new car break in (check out the video at the end):
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...e/videos/a31398/best-way-to-break-in-new-car/

I like that video at the end, although the fourth thing not to do with a brand new car is tough for me - don't take short trips. My commute to work daily is just over one mile.

Hmmm... maybe for a few weeks I have to speed up morning coffee, leave earlier, and take a few laps around town on my way in. If this car's as fun as I think it will be that's certainly not a fate worse than death.
Sponsored

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
Unless it's dangerous or something, why not just walk?

Lots of reasons including but not limited to occasional field work or off site meetings makes it useful for me to have the car at work, to having a home prepped lunch every day (wife run's daycare in our house), to post work flexibility to be dad taxi on the way home and such.

Oh, and cuz it makes for a 5 minute or less commute!

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
' the makers of some of the most legendary performance cars out there, including the Nissan GT-R and the Corvette, all recommend a light-load break-in for the first 500 miles or so. These cars live and die by their reputation for maximum performance. If an alternative break-in technique could net some more horsepower, or safeguard against the occasional race track engine failure, you'd think the automaker would give different instructions in the book."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...e/videos/a31398/best-way-to-break-in-new-car/
I dont want to take this thread off topic.... However regarding the Nissan GT-R you are absolutely incorrect.

I remember reading the brochure on the 2014 Nissan GT-R. It had a couple interesting points which I will quote here:

http://www.poughkeepsienissan.com/public/brochures/english/2014-nissan-gt-r-en.pdf

Each Nissan GT-R engine is hand-assembled by a single technician – and proudly bears a plaque carrying their signature – in a dust- and temperature-controlled clean room much like those used for Formula One racing engines. Once assembled, the engine spends an hour in bench testing and break-in, including running at redline for a rigorous 10 minutes straight, making it ready to give full performance when the GT-R is delivered to its owner.
Born to perform. Before it is delivered, each Nissan GT-R receives a thorough nine-lap break-in run at Tochigi test track to evaluate and break in key components, including the engine, brakes, transmission and suspension. While it may seem like great lengths to go to, it’s the best way to ensure that every GT-R will offer its full measure of groundbreaking performance from the very beginning – and for many years to come.

So basically every GT-R is broken in HARD from the factory.

Last edited:

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
I've never done a break in period for anything other than a shop built motor. I easily get 150K+ miles out of cars and years of redline(and past) shifts. When engines are tested at the factory they see speeds over Redline so no real reason you can't do that. If anything is going to go wrong it likely will in the first few hundred, that's why they don't recommend it in manuals usually. They don't want to risk you being at 6500 when something comes loose.

250 miles I change oil, then 1000, then every 7500 after that.
Regardless, I'd prefer to not throw down my hard earned cash on a "new" car that some assclown beat the piss out of on his test drive because he thought it would be cool and had no intention of buying the car anyway...

argh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Regardless, I'd prefer to not throw down my hard earned cash on a "new" car that some assclown beat the piss out of on his test drive because he thought it would be cool and had no intention of buying the car anyway...

Hey! Assclown lives matter.

ChrisSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan, 2009 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you read the "hard" break-in procedures you'll see it's not about beating on the car, and there is a method to the madness.

You don't have to agree with them, it's their car to break if they feel like it. Just understand that the manufacturer is setting the break-in period to accommodate warranty and liability reasons when something goes bad in that period, and not because engineering said it had to be done that way to prolong motor life.

One common thread that I think EVERYONE should understand is to ensure your vehicle gets up to operating temperature and isn't pushed hard before that point, regardless of which break-in method you're using.

OP
OP
Acey

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
LOL. If I wanted to be "cool" I wouldn't waste my my time test driving a 200 hp FWD Honda. It's hilarious how butthurt people are after a car was driven hard on a test drive, as if I'm the first to ever do it.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
If you read the "hard" break-in procedures you'll see it's not about beating on the car, and there is a method to the madness.

You don't have to agree with them, it's their car to break if they feel like it. Just understand that the manufacturer is setting the break-in period to accommodate warranty and liability reasons when something goes bad in that period, and not because engineering said it had to be done that way to prolong motor life.

One common thread that I think EVERYONE should understand is to ensure your vehicle gets up to operating temperature and isn't pushed hard before that point, regardless of which break-in method you're using.
Let's be honest...what is being discussed here in this thread is not a "hard break in" we're talking about a guy taking a car straight off the lot and just beating on it lol

LOL. If I wanted to be "cool" I wouldn't waste my my time test driving a 200 hp FWD Honda. It's hilarious how butthurt people are after a car was driven hard on a test drive, as if I'm the first to ever do it.
Butthurt? No...just wouldn't want to be the person purchasing that car
Sponsored