rednichols

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV 2023 (2022 USA)
Country flag
2023 L15BG FFV 1.5T readouts on Fusion via OBDLink EX, on our little motors?

Honda Civic 10th gen Such big power and torque, for such a little engine enhancement performance
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
rednichols

rednichols

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV 2023 (2022 USA)
Country flag
The post has yet to turn into a thread, but I'm an incurable optimist :). Latest torque number is up substantially due to changes in the defaults for VE and BSFC per Borg-Warner and the app itself.

Torque now reads to 260 lb/ft (350 Nm). Power down slightly . . . 98RON on a summer day of 80F or so. Exit temps out of the intercooler are 2C above ambient at freeway speeds (100 kph), flowing 20 #/min at redline.

Honda Civic 10th gen Such big power and torque, for such a little engine results all enhancements (1)

Honda Civic 10th gen Such big power and torque, for such a little engine results all enhancements (2)

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These little 1.5 motors can make 320 lb/ft otherwise stock with just a flex fuel converter on a 35% ethanol tune.
Honda Civic 10th gen Such big power and torque, for such a little engine stage2finaldynosheet(1)

OP
OP
rednichols

rednichols

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV 2023 (2022 USA)
Country flag
And my point is: all I've done with my CRV AWD (love the car in this config) is create deflectors mounted to the bodywork that cool the intake air. The Honda CPU has done the rest, by adapting to the colder air (only 2C over ambient on freeways) so more fuel, more spark advance, more boost. Without my adding or changing anything in the engine or with third party electronics.

I can run E85 on this motor because it is the Thailand motor; but I was unable to feel any difference (perhaps will do it again now that I have the OBDLink EX w/ Fusion reader). Info from another forum is that the ECU adapts fast to aggressive driving, slowly to passive driving; not sure I want to disturb anything and Honda has a fit if one even mentions E85 to them (yes I have the emails).

Last edited:
OP
OP
rednichols

rednichols

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV 2023 (2022 USA)
Country flag
ECU adaptive from another forum, and confirms what I've been expecting has happened: with the cold air improvements, the ECU has added fuel, increased spark advance which increases torque, and in my case has added boost (was 6psi gage, now up 50% to 9psi gage; the much higher numbers that Honda uses are 'absolute' so are 'gage plus atmospheric' and not 'boost').

Honda Civic 10th gen Such big power and torque, for such a little engine honda ecu learning (1)

OP
OP
rednichols

rednichols

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV 2023 (2022 USA)
Country flag
My tune is running 98RON which is 95 in USA. My 'enhancements' (nothing has been removed or added to the engine, they are air flow modifiers attached to the front grillwork) are an aluminium heat shield suspended between the intake pipe running across the front of the engine, and the turbo below it. Another shield that blocks cold air from the grille blowing on the turbine and cat. A cold-air only ram housing. All are 'home made and designed' (I'm an industrial designer by trade).

The Honda ECU is making all changes in reaction to these enhancements, I have the stock flash and it will stay that way during the course of the warranty at least. Posted previously but not taken seriously it seems when I had no data; ;now I have it :).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
My tune is running 98RON which is 95 in USA
As far as I know, 98 RON is the equivalent to 93 octane in the US.

OP
OP
rednichols

rednichols

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV 2023 (2022 USA)
Country flag
Excellent. Looked it up, you are right. Again, my point was only to tell you what fuel I'm using but I should have stopped there :).

E85 is said to be 107RON but I've 'felt' no increase in power or throttle response with it. Fuel economy is TERRIBLE on E85; one would use it only to save the planet because like 98RON it has zero sulfur in it. E85 is a top-price fuel here and not at every outlet, either.

Might test the E85 with my new reader to compare, but it takes so long for the ecu tables to change that likely I'll just stay withe my 'whoooooaaa' setup.

My other point: my enhancements are the result of a bit of sheet metal and abs plastic I had on hand. Zero expense, zero contributions by third parties, zero interest on any forum in applying this learning to street machines. I'm an inventor by trade and expect everyone to be interested in 'new and improved' but they're really not.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Well, there are not learning tables other than throttle position autocalibration and k.control which is just a multiplier to control ignition for gasoline octane, but it doesn't add ignition over the base tune, it just protects the engine removing it instead if knock is detected. Of course if ECU sees colder air at intake it means is more dense and ECU control injection according calculated air mass at the MAF sensor, but it doesn't learn anything there, same with boost. The only thing changing over time is k.control.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rednichols

rednichols

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV 2023 (2022 USA)
Country flag
Very cool. So far I've learned that the big power increases did not come from (1) the octane of my petrol nor (2) from the ECU of my car adapting to its new inputs. So I'm a genius after all, based on the results of my tin snips and belt sander increasing my base motor to 240hp and 260tq on their own! Good new indeed and enough for one day.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You're way over-estimating the changes. Like kytos said, your engine isn't changing fueling, timing and adding 50% boost because of slightly lower intake temps and using 93 octane.

Honda's published factory power numbers on the 1.5T tend to be a little low. I personally wouldn't trust your OBD-II gizmo for actual power output numbers. Have it dyno'ed with the factory setup (as a baseline) and than with your colder air improvements to see the real difference.

Having said that, giving the engine colder air is a good thing. Kudos. With less heat soak you'll have more consistent power. But you aren't getting any big, actual power gains from that single modification.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rednichols

rednichols

First Name
Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRV 2023 (2022 USA)
Country flag
I've returned to this thread only now because I knew the prob was readers here simply didn't believe the readouts. No worries, goes like a scalded cat regardless of the numbers.

I've scheduled a muffler change to get a better sound out of it. I'm old but still appreciate a bit'o'noise! So I'll measure up again after that (not expecting a change in power from the muffler, the purpose is sound); then at some point will remove it all before a trip to the dealer, disconnect the battery to reset the ECU (do I have that right?), then run the numbers 'plain' for a comparo.

All good fun for me, I'm retired and have not only the time to do all this, but the disinterest in persuading anybody that this works!

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I've returned to this thread only now because I knew the prob was readers here simply didn't believe the readouts. No worries, goes like a scalded cat regardless of the numbers.

I've scheduled a muffler change to get a better sound out of it. I'm old but still appreciate a bit'o'noise! So I'll measure up again after that (not expecting a change in power from the muffler, the purpose is sound); then at some point will remove it all before a trip to the dealer, disconnect the battery to reset the ECU (do I have that right?), then run the numbers 'plain' for a comparo.

All good fun for me, I'm retired and have not only the time to do all this, but the disinterest in persuading anybody that this works!
We have chassis dynos to prove what works and what doesn't - we have draggys to test acceleration improvement ....both are superior to butt dynos and scolded cat 🐈 measurements.

I suggest in investing into a draggy or racebox , both are pretty cheap and easy to test with - for your own data collection it would be easier to measure 40mph to 100mph or 60mph to 130mph improvements- given your power level the 40mph to 100mph test is probably easier.

https://www.racebox.pro/

Cheers

Longislandcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 hatchback
Country flag
You said you're making 260 torque on factory flash? I don't even make that with a tune.
Sponsored