First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was driving home from work today on the freeway. A woman in a Suburban was in the lane next to me, and a little bit ahead of me. She started to drift over into my lane. She was close to a foot over the divider line, so I honked to get her attention.

WTF. This was my first use of my new CivicX horn. It sounds like a little tweetie bird. I had to honk a second time to finally get her attention. She was eating a sandwich.

I have to confess, it is a little embarrassing, and even kind of funny.

Anyone else feel the same? Anyone else make an attempt to change their horn? Where is it?

Take care, JP
Sponsored

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Had a jaywalker with a phone to her ear cross the road in front of me in slow traffic. She was taking her time and talking as she was crossing, eyes pointed away from the direction of traffic.

I pressed down on the horn.

A wussy Bweeeeeep.

That didn't get her attention and she didn't look back. She was about 30 feet away from me.

Decided to honk at her again to let her know she's an idiot.

Another wussy but now anemic Bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Held down for about 8 seconds. Horn sort of started stuttering towards the end. No attention from the idiot jaywalker again.

Drove away from that situation feeling the horn was nowhere near as authoritative as a real horn should be. Terrible really. Worse than the horn on my previous 8th gen Civic. Made me wish it was the attention-getting horn on my BMW that I was pushing on.

I figure situations like this are rare and upgrading the horn isn't really worth it. But.... geez..... Bweeeeeeeeeep ?????? A horn should grab an idiot's attention by the horns. No pun intended.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
There has been a few threads about. There is even a diy on this forum to change it out. The cheapest and easiest way to upgrade is to not the upgrade horn from collegehollshonda. Its is plug and play

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I hate the stupid horn - just not enough to pull the damn grill and bumper off to get to it. Stupid! :mad:
This.

I changed out the lame stock horn on my old Elantra GT hatch. It was simply a matter of reaching behind the lower grille and doing the switch. No bumper removal needed.

And I would consider removing the bumper on the Civic but I've heard too many stories about breaking those weak clips. Not worth the risk to me.

In a lot of areas it seems like Honda went out of their way to make it difficult for the shadetree mechanic to work on the 10th gen.

As far as the laughable horn... it reminds me of something that belongs on a bike with training wheels.:eek:

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I literally get made fun of for my horn... literally the worst horn on a car

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i changed my horn out a few months ago.
bought the horn from oreilys and the adapter from the internet to plug in the factory harness

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This.

I changed out the lame stock horn on my old Elantra GT hatch. It was simply a matter of reaching behind the lower grille and doing the switch. No bumper removal needed.

And I would consider removing the bumper on the Civic but I've heard too many stories about breaking those weak clips. Not worth the risk to me.

In a lot of areas it seems like Honda went out of their way to make it difficult for the shadetree mechanic to work on the 10th gen.

As far as the laughable horn... it reminds me of something that belongs on a bike with training wheels.:eek:
removing the bumper is fast and easy the clips most are talking about is when changing out the grill

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
WTF. This was my first use of my new CivicX horn. It sounds like a little tweetie bird.

Take care, JP

Nothing new to honk 2 times to wake up a sleeping driver. No need to replace horn.
I don't need to like the sound of my horn if it do the job, and it do the job.

I always test horn when I buy a new car .

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I was driving home from work today on the freeway. A woman in a Suburban was in the lane next to me, and a little bit ahead of me. She started to drift over into my lane. She was close to a foot over the divider line, so I honked to get her attention.

WTF. This was my first use of my new CivicX horn. It sounds like a little tweetie bird. I had to honk a second time to finally get her attention. She was eating a sandwich.

I have to confess, it is a little embarrassing, and even kind of funny.

Anyone else feel the same? Anyone else make an attempt to change their horn? Where is it?

Take care, JP

Civic horns have always sounded like that

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Nothing new to honk 2 times to wake up a sleeping driver. No need to replace horn.
I don't need to like the sound of my horn if it do the job, and it do the job.

I always test horn when I buy a new car .
Agreed. The horn may not sound.... intimidating?.... but remember its purpose is to cut through the rest of the noise out there. It's job is to get the attention of everyone else. Also not surprised it took two blasts of the horn to get the other driver's attention.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
I've only needed the horn about a dozen times in the first 2 years. In all cases it was adequate. I like that it doesn't blast but gives a respectful alert.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Agreed. The horn may not sound.... intimidating?.... but remember its purpose is to cut through the rest of the noise out there. It's job is to get the attention of everyone else. Also not surprised it took two blasts of the horn to get the other driver's attention.
I think the problem is that is doesn't cut through the noise which should be one of the main points of a horn. If you need more than 1 honk to get someone's attention, its not doing its job
Sponsored