IamMitch

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
I just spoke to my mechanic and asked if he would do a resonator delete on my 21' Civic Hatch Sport. He did not want to do it as he has done it for other customers and they have complained to him that the delete kills their low-end torque. I couldn't find anything on the forums here mentioning it. Has anyone with a res delete noticed it ruins the low-end torque?
Sponsored

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Scientifically, the resonator only affects the sound and independent of engine performance. It's probably a placebo effect unless they ran 3 dyno tests with the same dyno model and setup to confirmed the resonator was a device critical to exhaust scavenging.

I found some conversations about this. The common theme is to stop believing you need flow restriction of your exhaust (backflow) to gain performance in a 4 stroke engine.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg...sonator-delete-kill-low-end-torque-sl55s.html

https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/mid-muffler-delete-power-lose.399186/

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I just spoke to my mechanic and asked if he would do a resonator delete on my 21' Civic Hatch Sport. He did not want to do it as he has done it for other customers and they have complained to him that the delete kills their low-end torque. I couldn't find anything on the forums here mentioning it. Has anyone with a res delete noticed it ruins the low-end torque?
Your mechanic was low key trying to stop you from doing something dumb. Sounds like a good man.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Scientifically, the resonator only affects the sound and independent of engine performance. It's probably a placebo effect unless they ran 3 dyno tests with the same dyno model and setup to confirmed the resonator was a device critical to exhaust scavenging.

I found some conversations about this. The common theme is to stop believing you need flow restriction of your exhaust (backflow) to gain performance in a 4 stroke engine.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg...sonator-delete-kill-low-end-torque-sl55s.html

https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/mid-muffler-delete-power-lose.399186/
Theoretically having an exhaust setup that's TOO open/large doesn't allow the exhaust to flow fast enough at lower rpms which would reduce power in that range. Which I'm sure many people wrongly interpreted as "backpressure is necessary".

That being said a resonator shouldn't have a measurable effect on our cars, it seems too far from the engine to make a difference. Maybe an oversized 4" downpipe would cause torque loss on the 1.5T.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Your mechanic was low key trying to stop you from doing something dumb. Sounds like a good man.
Res deletes on this car really aren't that bad. I cut mine out and left both mufflers and it barely made a difference. If anything it's a little more burbly now than before.

I also didn't notice any change in power, I can't see the resonator doing anything for torque at all.

Sal

First Name
Sally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
What? Impossible

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Res deletes on this car really aren't that bad. I cut mine out and left both mufflers and it barely made a difference. If anything it's a little more burbly now than before.

I also didn't notice any change in power, I can't see the resonator doing anything for torque at all.
Conika is just some weird random guy that has an irrational fear of modified exhausts- he says stuff like that in every single exhaust mod thread he can find.

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Conika is just some weird random guy that has an irrational fear of modified exhausts- he says stuff like that in every single exhaust mod thread he can find.
Stan the man is just obsessed with me. He is mad that I don’t send him clips of me touching myself to how mad he gets about colored badges. It’s a kink we share together.

Last edited:

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Don’t be cheap, and don’t make us look bad by driving your car around with some jerry rigged nonsense. There are plenty of low cost options that will make your car sound good. Don’t be a stereotype.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Don’t be cheap, and don’t make us look bad by driving your car around with some jerry rigged nonsense. There are plenty of low cost options that will make your car sound good. Don’t be a stereotype.
Res or muffler deletes are a low cost option and sound is subjective.

Dubers

First Name
Stevie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2017 Civic Touring, 2010 Civic EX-L Coupe 5sp
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
IamMitch

IamMitch

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
Alright Conika, Then what is a low-cost option for better sound?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The Honda civic is an affordable car for the masses to do what they want with. You shouldn’t be concerned with any perceived stereotypes that anyone else has about people who drive the same car you do.

I cringe when I see a sawzall fart can exhaust job on a civic as well, but it’s their money to blow. The civic is great because people can make it their own and usually not go completely broke if they make mistakes.
Sponsored