Premium audio

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd just burn all of my CDs onto a USB drive. In-car CD players are a wildcard for me. The last one I had broke, and the CD wouldn't eject!

The "premium" sound system is adequate for its job. Sound quality is dependent upon the source. SXM sound clear. Music from my USB is clear. AM/FM radio is hit and miss. Overall, I'd rate the sound quality a solid 8/10.

I also wonder if the brand name has anything to do with it psychologically speaking. VW offers Fender, Mazda offers Bose, and I have no clue what brand Honda uses.
Speakers are usually Pioneer (regular) and Foster (Premium). Head Units are typically Clarion (Base), Panasonic or, more often Alpine at the higher end.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TypeRLEDs

#1 Source for 10thgen LEDs
Threads
Reaction score
Website
TypeRLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The stock sound system isn't that great. I'm going with a whole JL setup.

JL C3-650 front and back. With a JL Amp
JL Jw7 13" subwoofer.
JL Amp.
JL fix82
JL Tweek88

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is it possible to just add a sub and an amp to the car, without replacing the head-unit? Or do you have to replace the head-unit for it to work?

DarthMaul40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Comfort HB, 1.0 Turbo, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it possible to just add a sub and an amp to the car, without replacing the head-unit? Or do you have to replace the head-unit for it to work?
If the head unit doesn't have a dedicated sub-woofer output, I suppose you will have to change the head unit, or to install an additional amplifier to the existing one.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the 10G Civic, the base head unit (Canadian DX, US LX (all) and Sport (HB)) is Panasonic.
For all others are Mitsubishi with LG Screens.
As for speakers, the Regular speakers are Pioneer,
Premium (Touring, Si, Sport Touring, Type R) are Foster

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If the head unit doesn't have a dedicated sub-woofer output, I suppose you will have to change the head unit, or to install an additional amplifier to the existing one.
That's unfortunate. Does anyone know if the head-unit has a dedicated subwoofer output?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
That's unfortunate. Does anyone know if the head-unit has a dedicated subwoofer output?
10 & 12 speaker (Premium Audio) have separate SuB channel, and a sepeate Center Channel

The non Premium systems just have Stereo Front & Back 8 Speaker (4 Main & 4 Tweeters).
ie 4 channels , with a Base/Mid and a Tweeter on each Channel.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
10 & 12 speaker (Premium Audio) have separate SuB channel, and a sepeate Center Channel

The non Premium systems just have Stereo Front & Back 8 Speaker (4 Main & 4 Tweeters).
ie 4 channels , with a Base/Mid and a Tweeter on each Channel.
i have an EU civic (hatchback) which comes without subwoofers for the premium system.
do you know if theres also a sub-channel on the amp? is there a wiring diagram?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
i have an EU civic (hatchback) which comes without subwoofers for the premium system.
do you know if theres also a sub-channel on the amp? is there a wiring diagram?
Yes, there are...
Honda Civic 10th gen Premium audio amplifier-connections

A2 - A4 pair

But your problem may well be, there is most likely no Wires on the connector for the Sub output, and finding out anythiung about these connectors or the inserts, seems very difficult. I gave up after MANY hours, and bought a used harness to get the connectors I needed to set up my test Honda HU outside of the car.

You may be lucky, and the Harness that goes to the Amp does have all those wires, with some of them (ie the Sub)< not connected at the end it switches to the BODY harness to travel down to the rear of the car.
Does your HU have a SUB level slider display screen on the Audio control Menu ??

Last edited:

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
No doubt a bellow average system. Totally disapointed.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
Does your HU have a SUB level slider display screen on the Audio control Menu ??
i have no sub-level slider (also no DTS setting). also counting 11 speakers.
front system: 4 speakers
center: 1 speaker
rear system: 3 speaker on each side (6 overall)

but i will see what i can do, by tapping a speaker + adding amp/sub, which comes with a remote control/volume slider.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
2019 Sport Touring
Sound System?
I do not have any issues with rattles. And of course I do have the volume knob but I use the volume on the steering wheel. I just look at the volume knob and drool. I mostly listen to Classical but had recently had some Carpenters on play. Not bad but lacking. No stock system is perfect but I am not into major mods. Disappointed? No. I came from a Mini Cooper with Harmon Kardon system. It is better.

Reminds me of that Burger King commercial where's the beef? Where is the bass? Other cars I would have to turn down the bass. Not the Civic. But then I keep the volume at about 14 or 15. That comes up when you increase it on the speedometer.

It does not compare to Shure earbuds or high end headphones. But it is not bad compared to most cars except luxury class such as Cadillac, Mercedes, Lexus, and so on. Much depends on types of music and volume. Watts and Speakers in specs sound good but does not mean all that much.

rlkassan

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic sport touring hatchback
Country flag
2019 Sport Touring
Sound System?
I do not have any issues with rattles. And of course I do have the volume knob but I use the volume on the steering wheel. I just look at the volume knob and drool. I mostly listen to Classical but had recently had some Carpenters on play. Not bad but lacking. No stock system is perfect but I am not into major mods. Disappointed? No. I came from a Mini Cooper with Harmon Kardon system. It is better.

Reminds me of that Burger King commercial where's the beef? Where is the bass? Other cars I would have to turn down the bass. Not the Civic. But then I keep the volume at about 14 or 15. That comes up when you increase it on the speedometer.

It does not compare to Shure earbuds or high end headphones. But it is not bad compared to most cars except luxury class such as Cadillac, Mercedes, Lexus, and so on. Much depends on types of music and volume. Watts and Speakers in specs sound good but does not mean all that much.
I have a 17 sport touring and was disappointed with the lack of bass. Theres good DIY step by step videos online that show you how to replace the subwoofer. The fosgate punch p3 shallow 8" fits in the stock enclosure perfectly. Even without an amp, it definitely adds richer bass. Took me 25 minutes to swap and i was much, much happier after.

Sub and materials was only around $165. :)

SamualSS

First Name
Samual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Benz
Country flag
Audio quality is highly dependant on the source. FM radios sound crappy due to the fact that most stations are using highly compressed files.

I use lossles FLAC from Tidal - which sounds good - with the bluetooth being the most limiting factor in the setup.
I get Tidal songs on the Tidal app. With the subscription, I download the songs on my phone. With the Mac Audio Recorder from AudFree, I gain the lossless music and play the songs offline on players like MP3 players.
Sponsored