Please list what exhaust you have, and your experience with it.

OP
OP

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
HKS Legamax. 88 vs 82 (stock) decibels per their website & I'd agree that it is about 10% louder than stock, but a much lower, richer tone. It sounds like an aftermarket exhaust, but very refined. I hate loud exhausts & wasn't even sure about this one until I heard it. It was perfect for me.

Cool. Do you have a catless downpipe?
Sponsored

turboR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #18775 / 2002 NB Miata (track car)
Country flag
GReddy Supreme SP- HG (tri tip) Installed Today....Initial Impressions

Just had the GReddy Supreme SP- HG (tri tip) exhaust installed today. Everything else is stock besides K&N drop in filter. The exhaust is not broken in yet so I don't want to give a full review, but I do have some initial impressions.

The fitment and finish are top notch. GReddy has always made an outstanding quality products and this exhaust is no exception.

The sound.....well when my car was pulled around to me when it was finished I absolutely loved the sound. Then I started driving it home. I have to be honest...for the first 30 miles I was regretting it. There is a lot of drone in the cabin. This is coming from someone who has had exhausts on all platforms of cars for over 10 years, from a fully built 04 Cobra to a daily driven Evo X with straight pipes and no cats (neither car bothered me daily). This exhaust is extremely bass heavy and does not really growl up top at higher RPMS as I wished it had.

After the first 30 or so miles and by the time I got home (about 60-70 miles total) the exhaust started to change a bit already, so I am feeling a little better about it. The drone is not as bad as when I first started driving it. Now how much better it gets remains to be seen. I was surprised that me of all people would be complaining about drone...I love loud exhausts. But there is a big difference between a loud exhaust and drone. This is the kind of drone that resonates in the cabin and the lower RPMs, so all freeway driving, the least desirable kind. My keychain was resting on the center console and was rattling from the cabin resonance when I was first driving it to give you all an idea.

I know others on here have commented on this issue, but me being me and loving loud exhausts I choose to ignore it and really wanted a JDM exhaust that kept the tri tip look...its so unique to the car. Currently GReddy is the only one I found that met that criteria that I liked. Im sure other JDM companies will come out with a tri tip design.

Others have also commented about loosing some power down low....and I have to say I unfortunately do agree. The car feels like it doesn't pickup as fast as it did down low. Up top I am not really sure if I gained anything, too hard to tell yet with just the drive home. I have no idea why this would happen. The only thing that comes to mind is that the car is tuned so well from the factory that even changing the cat back throws it out of wack just a little bit and therefore doe not take advantage of the aftermarket exhaust. The CTR is by FAR the best factory tuned turbo car that I have ever driven.

I am curious to hear any feedback from others that have kept this exhaust for an extended period of time to see if any of these things change. I will definitely give it a solid chance and put a few thousand miles on it to see what happens. I canā€™t help but wonder if the drone would be less with going catless. Overall volume would be louder but may change the sound frequencies enough to where drone would improve. Itā€™s worked for me on other cars.

Last edited:

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
GReddy Supreme SP- HG (tri tip) Installed Today....Initial Impressions

Just had the GReddy Supreme SP- HG (tri tip) exhaust installed today. Everything else is stock besides K&N drop in filter. The exhaust is not broken in yet so I don't want to give a full review, but I do have some initial impressions.

The fitment and finish are top notch. GReddy has always made an outstanding quality products and this exhaust is no exception.

The sound.....well when my car was pulled around to me when it was finished I absolutely loved the sound. Then I started driving it home. I have to be honest...for the first 30 miles I was regretting it. There is a lot of drone in the cabin. This is coming from someone who has had exhausts on all platforms of cars for over 10 years, from a fully built 04 Cobra to a daily driven Evo X with straight pipes and no cats (neither car bothered me daily). This exhaust is extremely bass heavy and does not really growl up top at higher RPMS as I wished it had.

After the first 30 or so miles and by the time I got home (about 60-70 miles total) the exhaust started to change a bit already, so I am feeling a little better about it. The drone is not as bad as when I first started driving it. Now how much better it gets remains to be seen. I was surprised that me of all people would be complaining about drone...I love loud exhausts. But there is a big difference between a loud exhaust and drone. This is the kind of drone that resonates in the cabin and the lower RPMs, so all freeway driving, the least desirable kind. My keychain was resting on the center console and was rattling from the cabin resonance when I was first driving it to give you all an idea.

I know others on here have commented on this issue, but me being me and loving loud exhausts I choose to ignore it and really wanted a JDM exhaust that kept the tri tip look...its so unique to the car. Currently GReddy is the only one I found that met that criteria that I liked. Im sure other JDM companies will come out with a tri tip design.

Others have also commented about loosing some power down low....and I have to say I unfortunately do agree. The car feels like it doesn't pickup as fast as it did down low. Up top I am not really sure if I gained anything, too hard to tell yet with just the drive home. I have no idea why this would happen. The only thing that comes to mind is that the car is tuned so well from the factory that even changing the cat back throws it out of wack just a little bit and therefore doe not take advantage of the aftermarket exhaust. The CTR is by FAR the best factory tuned turbo car that I have ever driven.

I am curious to hear any feedback from others that have kept this exhaust for an extended period of time to see if any of these things change. I will definitely give it a solid chance and put a few thousand miles on it to see what happens. I canā€™t help but wonder if the drone would be less with going catless. Overall volume would be louder but may change the sound frequencies enough to where drone would improve. Itā€™s worked for me on other cars.
Great review and I echo your sentiment on the drone and losing pick up on the low end. I had the same exhaust for a little less than two months. My setup actually had a catless downpipe and aftermarket front pipe (both PRL) and the drone is still quite bad. I took the Greddy off and put the stock catback on for now; the Greddy is currently for sale. It's a shame because the exhaust itself is a work of art (on and off the car) and the sound is great.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

the exhaust really doesn't change anything on the car (without touching the cat). The power loss is probably placebo and the dyno runs that i have personally done shows that. Removing the cat usually does remove some of the drone. Not sure how it is on this car since I have never touched it though.

I've had mine since it first came out and the drone around 3k-3500 is annoying at times. Doesn't really bother me enough to complain about it but I can see why some people would complain. The high rpm growl not being there is just the way the motor sounds ... It just doesn't sound very well at high rpm lol.

Great review and I echo your sentiment on the drone and losing pick up on the low end. I had the same exhaust for a little less than two months. My setup actually had a catless downpipe and aftermarket front pipe (both PRL) and the drone is still quite bad. I took the Greddy off and put the stock catback on for now; the Greddy is currently for sale. It's a shame because the exhaust itself is a work of art (on and off the car) and the sound is great.
I can bet a lot of that is the non transitioned diameter increase right after the front pipe flange. Anytime there isn't a smooth flow it creates drone.

turboR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is a thing of beauty. Good to know that removing the cats does not really help. Im going to see how it goes over the next several months and go from there. If HKS had made a tri tip I would have gotten that one, there seems to be no issues with drone from theirs. The JDM aftermarket is still very new for the CTR so I am also curious to see what other systems come out over the next year or so.

turboR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the exhaust really doesn't change anything on the car (without touching the cat). The power loss is probably placebo and the dyno runs that i have personally done shows that. Removing the cat usually does remove some of the drone. Not sure how it is on this car since I have never touched it though.

I've had mine since it first came out and the drone around 3k-3500 is annoying at times. Doesn't really bother me enough to complain about it but I can see why some people would complain. The high rpm growl not being there is just the way the motor sounds ... It just doesn't sound very well at high rpm lol.

I can bet a lot of that is the non transitioned diameter increase right after the front pipe flange. Anytime there isn't a smooth flow it creates drone.
Yea for me its a DD and I commute a lot on the freeway, but the drone thus far is not unbearable and I am sure it will get somewhat better over the next few months. As for the sound at higher RPMs...I had a feeling that a lot of it was just due to how the motor itself sounded. I do feel like an aftermarket system should be able to induce some growl up top, or at least more so than the GReddy. That being said, I did not buy the car for how it sounds as I am sure most people did not either lol. I hope you are right about the power loss not being true and just a placebo effect since its counter intuitive to loose power by adding an exhaust. I do plan on doing Hondata later on down the road anyways.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didnt want to create a new thread just for this...I received my Honda Style Magazine #91. I had hoped more content on the FK8 but i guess it's too new there still?

Anyway...if mugen comes out with an exhaust...hope it doesnt look like this for the FK8

Honda Civic 10th gen Please list what exhaust you have, and your experience with it. 20181115_181101

turboR

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I didnt want to create a new thread just for this...I received my Honda Style Magazine #91. I had hoped more content on the FK8 but i guess it's too new there still?

Anyway...if mugen comes out with an exhaust...hope it doesnt look like this for the FK8

20181115_181101.jpg
:thumbsdown: Is it me or is the Japanese aftermarket no where near as good as it used to be? That looks hideous lol. Reminds me of a shape in the old Asteroids arcade game! Iā€™d rather have the infamous HDMI tip haha

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Iā€™m hopeful for the upcoming Invidia Q300. Iā€™m running a PRL catless dp and fp as well. Also, I hope they donā€™t have a bottleneck transition from the front pipe like many of the other systems.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag

20181115_181101.jpg
OUCH.....that's pretty hard to look at.

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
i wish more companies would produce one with triple tip and not dual
I actually donā€™t mind the dual tip, starting to grow on me, I still want to hear what the blitz dual exhaust sounds like.

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
I actually donā€™t mind the dual tip, starting to grow on me, I still want to hear what the blitz dual exhaust sounds like.
I agree I am hoping to hear Blitz, Amuse and TODA... but have not heard about them releasing anything. Mugen better redesign that nasty exhaust or they are not going to have many sales at all it looks horrible!
Sponsored