Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
I am one of the 2 in the 51-55 bracket. A few things could be affecting the "older folks" numbers.
1. We dont "live" on the internet via our phones etc. as the younger generations
2. if we saw a poll like the one here we would be less likely to participate
3. we probably wouldn't participate in a forum such as this in the 1st place

With that, I want to say, for me the Type R makes me super-happy.
1. its bringing back the "younger generations" to Honda
2. Honda has desperately needed something like this for the last 10+ years
3. Honda "getting back into the game" does vastly improves the Honda marquee as a whole

During the F&F years, lets say 95-05, the Honda line was one of the go to makes. Being in my mid-30s at the time and already a bit of a FF gear-head I latched onto the brand around the start of this, and with the exception of a few Cadillacs, have owned only Hondas for this period of time.
The availabilty of decent examples of 88-00 modifiable Hondas has pretty much dried up at this point, and it was becoming difficult for me to figure out what my next car was going to be. With the Type R, the new Si and even the Sport version of this and the Accord, Honda has kind of returned to providing the public, and the Honda-heads, cars that are actually relevant to them.
I am hoping, with all of the craziness that has surrounded the release of the Type R, makes our friends at Honda realize that past of their model line NEEDS to include cars like this. After 10+ years of making toasters with wheels, this thing came from so far out in left field that I think it surprised a lot of people. And the reaction to the release of it is even more surprising.
So the next thing that needs happens is Honda continues to release better and more performance variants of its models. The aftermarket latches on tight and starts to produce parts for them, and I (we) will have something to occupy our time with for the next 20+ years. Its now up to Honda to follow through on this.
sorry for the mini-rant
Old guys rule
Sponsored

Bramrock

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic LX NBP, (Preordered) 2017 Civic Type R CW
I'm 62, my wife despises the car and says I have issues. She even went so far as to say it looked like a black guys car, she refuses to drive it...... isn't life great!!!
Ah it's great to experience manifestations of racism even on car forums. Isn't the world a beautiful place

yyhd

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm 62, my wife despises the car and says I have issues. She even went so far as to say it looked like a black guys car, she refuses to drive it...... isn't life great!!!
ROFL!!! Too funny.

I'm 32. CTR#1307. And yea, similar to those others in the 30's, my wife thinks I'm at a quarter life crisis too. :)

droidekaus

First Name
brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS 3
oooof. sucks she feels that way, but here's a joke to cheer everyone up.

Q: why do most men die before their wives do?
A: Because they can!

:D

Bama Dave

First Name
David H.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #5484 PMM, 2008 S2K NFR
Country flag
I'm 58 and just love the CTR. Another Honda that puts a smile on my face. Having an 06 and 02 S2000. Hard to compare the cars right now. Each car has a different personality.

SCoomby

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R FK8
46. Got it a couple of days ago in Brilliant Sporty Blue CTR #4143. It's a great car indeed! Even the misses likes it

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
30 years old, middle school principal. I sold my '10 Rubicon, and will probably get rid of my Evo X soon, too. The CTR is just a nice, fun daily for me.

R-00620

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I'm 55; pushing 56. "Yes; I own the cool Rallye Red Civic Type-R." "No; it's not a mid-life crisis car; it's just what I've always driven." That's what I tell people, many times (my wife does, as well). You can't go through life driving boring cars. I learned that from my Dad.

Every car that I have purchased (my wife buys her own cars; as she likes the haggling) has been a Honda with manual (we used to call it "standard") transmission, starting with my first car (after college), in 1984 (a 1979 Accord CVCC 2-door hatchback). I went from the Accord to a 1989 Civic Si (2-door hatchback); which I put 240,000 miles on, in 10 years. Then, there was the "sad" years; when I drove a 1997 Grand Prix "hand-me-down" from my wife; since we needed more "family cars". I drove the Grand Prix until it finally crapped-out (over 100,000 miles); and Honda finally made a Civic Si worth owning, again. So, I got a 2008 Civic Si sedan (liked it better than the 2009 version; as the wheels are cooler; and the 2009 had metal colored trim pieces, which looked hokey). That was a great car (got to about 95,000 miles); and if the Type-R didn't appear, I would probably still have it; or, at least wouldn't have bought another Civic Si; as the styling of the new ones does nothing for me (it looks kind of like a small version of a Malibu or Fusion). At least, the Civic hatchback has some character; and the Type-R, even more.

I am very pleased with the Type-R, so far. Big enough for the family; and comfortable enough (not going to fall out of those seats). Sure; it has more HP that I really need; but, it's very controllable; and, I really didn't want to get a new performance car, and have the same or less HP than I already had with the 2008 Civic Si (2 liters; 200 HP). Yeah; the styling is a little funky; but, I certainly like it better than the older European versions; it doesn't affect being able to drive it; and, I can always find it a parking lot!

I can still use all of my limbs; so, use them, and drive.
Sponsored