My biggest gripe with my 2017 EX-T 6-spd sedan

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i have and had no troubles with the 6 speed in my lx sedan (trade in) and my hatch clutch. i need almost no gas peddle to start off in first thats including some hills. anything that calls your attention to the clutch is not normal. cept the softness. hopefully the helpful honda man will help us honda owners out like they do for peeps that cant even afford a honda.
Sponsored

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have noticed that, in first gear from a complete stop, it does feel like the car is going to die getting started (even though I have given it enough gas). It hasn't died at all, but it does feel that way for me in first gear. Other than that, I've only noticed the whirring sound when downshifting. Overall, not really any serious problems.

BarryG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6 spd man sedan
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic LX sedan, and have put 1900 miles on it. I have had no issues with the clutch. This car seems to have been designed to minimize initial motion stall issues, as compared to other manual transmission cars I have owned.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Burgundy Night Pearl
Country flag
i have and had no troubles with the 6 speed in my lx sedan (trade in) and my hatch clutch. i need almost no gas peddle to start off in first thats including some hills. anything that calls your attention to the clutch is not normal. cept the softness. hopefully the helpful honda man will help us honda owners out like they do for peeps that cant even afford a honda.
I sent a message to Honda corporate and I'm being assigned a case manager for this issue. They're supposed to be calling me in the next 2 days to discuss the matter. Given that there are people commenting on here who are using little to no gas on take-off in 1st gear leads me to believe that what I'm experiencing just isn't normal. I could be giving it enough gas that it's hitting 2,000 rpms and still feel the vibration/pulsation on an incline - that's just not right. There's no way that I'm just not giving it enough gas.

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
Had my 2017 EXT with MT for a month now. No issues at all. Seems to function just like my 2005 civic with MT. I pretty much start in 2nd, shift to 4th at about 15mph and then to 6th after 30mph. Don't notice any strain on the engine at all. Hardly ever use 3rd or 5th gear. Occasionally 1st gear if starting on an upgrade.
Also have never experienced rev hang. It seems to me rev hang is totally dependent on someone's driving style.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
tried it today, i can start out and keep it below 1000rpm. most of the time normally it peaks well below 1500 before official acceleration begins. shifted to second below 1000 and it had no trouble.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have no problems with the clutch, it's very smooth and easy once u get used to the long throw. Engine has plenty of torque at low revs, i can drive without touching the gas up to 3rd gear! I stalled only once in 6000km because i was trying to start at a traffic light in 5th....
But i have some trouble shifting into 1st and reverse in the morning, it feels like i have to find my way through sticky gears.
The rev hang is there, but with the right shifting timing it doesn't bother too much. First thing to avoid is pulling 1st to red line!

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just to give an update for anyone else who's experiencing this issue - Honda corporate called me back when I was away from my phone and left me a voicemail. Due to the fact that my local dealership claims that a vibrating clutch pedal is "normal" operation for this vehicle, corporate can't proceed further with the case. Now, if I want to take my car into another Honda dealer and have them replicate the issue, they will proceed. My issue is that the only other dealership in my area is not trustworthy, which pretty much forces me to take my vehicle to the Chicagoland area for service. Until then... :\

By the way, anyone who says they can start out in 1st gear without using any gas, I'd love to see video documentation of this. My car doesn't start moving until about 1,500 rpms......

Everything else about my car seems to function as it should, but when driveability sucks, it kinda makes it hard for me to say that I'd buy another Honda.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
My '00 civic can start from a dead stop with just the clutch along with many other vehicles I have driven. It's all about how you modulate it. I wouldn't say it's good for the clutch either. My guess is your clutch is warped based on the chattering and vibration you are experiencing. Most likely from improper break in or use at some point.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My '00 civic can start from a dead stop with just the clutch along with many other vehicles I have driven. It's all about how you modulate it. I wouldn't say it's good for the clutch either. My guess is your clutch is warped based on the chattering and vibration you are experiencing. Most likely from improper break in or use at some point.
It's been this way since the day I drove it off the lot... I wish I could say that it's inexperience with driving a manual transmission car, but this isn't my first MT vehicle.. I'm thinking it's got to be a manufacturing defect. I really don't think the service tech who drove my car less than 10 miles before I got it somehow damaged it before delivery.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to give an update for anyone else who's experiencing this issue - Honda corporate called me back when I was away from my phone and left me a voicemail. Due to the fact that my local dealership claims that a vibrating clutch pedal is "normal" operation for this vehicle, corporate can't proceed further with the case. Now, if I want to take my car into another Honda dealer and have them replicate the issue, they will proceed. My issue is that the only other dealership in my area is not trustworthy, which pretty much forces me to take my vehicle to the Chicagoland area for service. Until then... :\

By the way, anyone who says they can start out in 1st gear without using any gas, I'd love to see video documentation of this. My car doesn't start moving until about 1,500 rpms......

Everything else about my car seems to function as it should, but when driveability sucks, it kinda makes it hard for me to say that I'd buy another Honda.
Definitely there is something wrong with your clutch. I will have some time this afternoon, I will try to record driving without gas.

EDIT: Here it is: (sorry for the poor quality of my backup phone, i dropped my Iphone in the water..

Last edited:

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
For me my clutch makes a little noise when pushed in. Only hear it in the cabin weirdly. Also my gears are super notchy when cold. Takes a good bit for 1st to 2nd to be smooth. Car only has 3k miles as well.
what does the little noise sound like? Does it happen when you're in between gears? I may have the same thing.

RaiseTheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX Manual
@CivicChina cool video

I too can confirm, you can start from a stop with no gas without stalling. You just have to let off the clutch slower than usual.

I learned manual on this car, so I don't know what other manuals feel, this car is easy IMO. I do also experience some issues shifting into gear when the car is cold.
Sponsored