Insurance Topic how does it look to insure a type R? Geico doesn't have Type R as a quote?

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I doubt they're putting a lot of effort or thought into how different trims in a model actually differ from one another.
Actuaries. 30k cars worldwide is a blip in the number of cars that are insured. Each company is going to drop the Type R into a 'bucket' with other cars of what they determine are similar risks. Different companies use different 'buckets' based upon their claim histories.
I did a test the other day with my insurance (Progressive).
Was really surprised that it was around $120 more cheaper to insure a 2020 Civic Type R than my actual car (2015 Lancer Ralliart) for a 6 month period.
That is unbelievable.
Maybe because a 2020 CTR has collision avoidance?
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Actuaries. 30k cars worldwide is a blip in the number of cars that are insured. Each company is going to drop the Type R into a 'bucket' with other cars of what they determine are similar risks. Different companies use different 'buckets' based upon their claim histories.

Hmmm. Good point.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag

My 2020 HB sport with collision cost more than wife's 2018 ex without it. They said the sensors actually raise the price (Gieco again)

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
My 2020 HB sport with collision cost more than wife's 2018 ex without it. They said the sensors actually raise the price (Gieco again)
lol, who knows!

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Same policy or driver related? Or that the HB has collision and the Ex doesn't? -> apples vs oranges

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
The sensing equipment is very expensive to replace. You'll wind up paying more for collision coverage but you might get a slight offset on the liability side.

Like others have said, if you provide a VIN, you aren't going to have a claim denied for misrep.

iStayKrafty

First Name
Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2018 CRV
Country flag
Im roughly $180 a month for full coverage $500 deductible on the R and a 2019 Corolla. I'm through Progressive but may shop around and see if I can find a better rate

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Geico doesn't have the Honda Civic Type R as a quote? They only have the Si

I just need to know how expensive is it to put this on a full coverage policy with a $1000 or $500 deductible for you guys?

being that this is essentially a Honda Civic with some umph it shouldn't be that bad right?
As long as a car has a back seat i it your good. All these honda’s are japanese and Japan doesn’t use designated tags like si ex tl tlx or type r a honda is just that a honda only in America everything needs a name other than to appease the satisfaction of knowing you own something. If they don’t ask don’t tell you own a Honda.

vSneaKv

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
I currently pay $511 in full every 6 months with progressive. $500 deductible in WI. I am 22 Years old, with 1 speeding ticket and a “rapid acceleration ticket”

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a 2014 Si and when I bought the 2019 Type R the rates stayed the same with GEICO. I think the ‘it’s a hatchback’ theory was correct here.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My insurance only changed about $ 1-2 dollars per month going from a '17 SI to an '18 Type R. Basically the same. I am with Farmers. Happily surprised. And I have very full coverage. You should be okay. Yes, you get about 10 mpg less on the CTR , but at least no insurance hit.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
I'm at ~$980/6 months for my CTR and my wife's Prius. $500 deductible for comp and collision, 250K/500K/250K coverage, uninsured coverage is added on (as opposed to reduced) by other party's limits. I think I have medical bills and rental car too, not 100% sure.

The CTR is around $600/6 months. No tickets or anything on my record, wife has 1 speeding ticket. I'm 30, own a home (no garage), graduate degree (some places will ask and give you a discount for this - my insurer does).

It's not expensive to insure.

Last edited:

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My insurance only changed about $ 1-2 dollars per month going from a '17 SI to an '18 Type R. Basically the same. I am with Farmers. Happily surprised. And I have very full coverage. You should be okay. Yes, you get about 10 mpg less on the CTR , but at least no insurance hit.
i was 64 on si, 79 on type r.. i was happy with that.

Krisis52

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
mine with progressive is just a civic hatch and is cheaper than the Velositer N i replaced. Most likely due to the Honda Sensing.

Dipz

First Name
Dipz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Type R
Country flag
My 2019 Type-R is $5 CHEAPER than my 2016 Prius. ?
Sponsored