Instant Jailbreak

Sneakingfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Is there any risk with running a tune on a stock FK8? I have never tried to tune a car and I’ve read a ton of these threads and I am really curious/intrigued.

I guess my first thought is that if this extra power is easily achieved with a tune on a stock FK8, why didn’t Honda provide it like that out of the box?
To echo an above poster, yes, there are risks. The risks tend to be gasoline quality variations in different regions, driver error (putting 87 or 91 when tuned for 93), manufacturer tolerances, vehicle maintenance, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, these cars make an additional 15 or so HP in Europe simply because the tune allows for what I think is higher octane gas over there.

That said, a Hondata basemap tune alone isn't going to do much for you. With a proper dyno tune and no other mods, you'll top out around 340 hp safely. I don't remember where exactly I was, but it was close to that number. With full bolt ons (bigger IC, high flow cat downpipe, 3 inch exhaust, intake and turbo inlet pipe) I made 375 hp, but went down to 365 for a safety margin (low quality gas for example). Adding a flex fuel kit and 25 to 30 percent ethanol, I'm at 406 HP.

Basically what I'm saying is, unless you plan on getting a proper dyno tune, or even one of those email tunes, don't bother with it. It's expensive for not much benefit.

As far as safety, it's a car that I rarely drive. But it has not given me any issues.
Sponsored

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UKDM 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatch (1.5T 6MT)
Country flag
You see a higher rating there because they use a different octane measuring system.
The rating system is different yes but the minimum is also higher. The lowest you'll find in (Western) Europe is 95 RON which is equivalent to US 91 so all cars sold can be tuned to expect at least that level.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
The rating system is different yes but the minimum is also higher. The lowest you'll find in (Western) Europe is 95 RON which is equivalent to US 91 so all cars sold can be tuned to expect at least that level.
Owner manual for EU type R is 95 RON min. So it's not really that..

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
Decided to pain my New valve cover Wrinkle Red. The old vavle seal finally gave out and I can start to see oil building at the rear of the engine/vavle cover. It’s not perfect so don’t judge me, but for $125 for everything vs. Spoons $650 cover I think i did ok. Lol 😆
Wrong thread me thinks...

bicbaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 FK8, 97 E36 M3, 02 E46 M3, 02 E46 330Ci
Country flag
If someone borrows the Cobb accessport to jailbreak the ECU, would that be permanent? And would Hondata work afterwards?
No, this will not work. When COBB AP came out for the FK8, it was assumed that this would be the case as it was believed that once it's jailbroken, it's jailbroken forever. However, this is not the case.
My car was first flashed on COBB AP. The following month we tested Hondata. In order to install Hondata, we had to unflash the COBB AP, thus relocking the ECU and needing to buy the Hondata jailbreaker lol.

I made a pros/cons list (in another thread) of Cobb vs Hondata based on my recent experience working with Stratified Auto.

That said, a Hondata basemap tune alone isn't going to do much for you. With a proper dyno tune and no other mods, you'll top out around 340 hp safely. I don't remember where exactly I was, but it was close to that number. With full bolt ons (bigger IC, high flow cat downpipe, 3 inch exhaust, intake and turbo inlet pipe) I made 375 hp, but went down to 365 for a safety margin (low quality gas for example). Adding a flex fuel kit and 25 to 30 percent ethanol, I'm at 406 HP.
Agreed that a Hondata basemap tune would not do much. In fact, it might even be worse than stock map. A local to me with FBO on a Hondata base map dyno'd lower than my car with just a catback and intake but custom tuned.

340 seems around high though - that sounds closer to a E25-E30 tune. I got around 326hp, 352ftlbs on a Esso (Exxon/Mobil) 91 tune run on a Mustang Dyno. I posted my dyno plots in the tuning reliability thread (link for reference).

Last edited:

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
No, this will not work. When COBB AP came out for the FK8, it was assumed that this would be the case as it was believed that once it's jailbroken, it's jailbroken forever. However, this is not the case.
My car was first flashed on COBB AP. The following month we tested Hondata. In order to install Hondata, we had to unflash the COBB AP, thus relocking the ECU and needing to buy the Hondata jailbreaker lol.
Then if one jailbreaks via Hondata first, switch to Cobb, and then switch back to Hondata again, does the ECU stay jailbroken?

Sneakingfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

I made a pros/cons list (in another thread) of Cobb vs Hondata based on my recent experience working with Stratified Auto.

Agreed that a Hondata basemap tune would not do much. In fact, it might even be worse than stock map. A local to me with FBO on a Hondata base map dyno'd lower than my car with just a catback and intake but custom tuned.

340 seems around high though - that sounds closer to a E25-E30 tune. I got around 326hp, 352ftlbs on a Esso (Exxon/Mobil) 91 tune run on a Mustang Dyno. I posted my dyno plots in the tuning reliability thread (link for reference).
I'm curious now. Let me see if i can find my old dyno sheet on just a dyno tune and no other mods.

Sneakingfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I'm curious now. Let me see if i can find my old dyno sheet on just a dyno tune and no other mods.
Ok, here we go. First one is a dyno tune on a completely stock car with just a Hondata jailbreak, compared to baseline dyno pull.

Second shows three things: full bolt on Hondata basemap with appropriate options checked (thats the baseline), dyno tune on 93 octane pump gas, and dyno tune on 25 to 30 percent ethanol.

Mods on 2nd sheet: 27Won turbo back catted downpipe exhaust, PRL IC, PRL intake and turbo inlet pipe, Hondata MAF500 MAF upgrade, PRL FLex Fuel kit.

Honda Civic 10th gen Instant Jailbreak Civic Type R Tuning Dyno Run Old_240216_195422

Honda Civic 10th gen Instant Jailbreak Civic Type R Tune Flex Fuel_240216_195504_1

bicbaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 FK8, 97 E36 M3, 02 E46 M3, 02 E46 330Ci
Country flag
Ah that's where the difference is. Dynojet vs Mustang Dyno. My stock baseline pull was 280/280. Yours is at 302/302.

Both measures a 40ish HP increase from just a tune.

Sneakingfart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Interesting. A little surprised at the difference between the two dynos, but makes sense.
Sponsored