How is your air conditioning?

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
As someone who just had this done today I have to say this is disappointing news.
I'd have thought they had updated parts by now...
*confused*
They have updated the condenser... thus the extended warranty. The 3rd condenser was replaced in June of '20 with - supposedly - the upgraded part.

Only time will tell if this condenser lasts.
Sponsored

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's the fourth summer with my 2018 Civic sedan touring (only 34k miles).

I'm not having the AC running often because I'm too scared that the AC will fall apart lol.

My AC stopped working this year, the dealer found out that it happened to be a broken relay. Although the car was still in warranty (extended warranty by Honda Quality Drive which is owned by Allianz Insurance), I had to pay for it. It was something like $130.

The AC is now cooling, but only on the upper vents. There is no cool air coming from the footwell vents. Dealership tested it and said everything works fine. At least I don't had to pay for them testing it.

And btw you need to wait two weeks at my dealer to get an appointment, absolutely ridiculous.

Oh and we don't have an extended warranty for the condenser in Germany, if it breaks I'll have to pay for it by myself yikes

Last edited:

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I'm in Canada and just received a letter stating that any A/C issue are covered with an extended 10 year warranty. I have a 2020 Hatch.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
*confused*
They have updated the condenser... thus the extended warranty. The 3rd condenser was replaced in June of '20 with - supposedly - the upgraded part.

Only time will tell if this condenser lasts.
Good to hear. Since the new Civic is out I lost hope for an upgraded part.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
yeah,have to go back to the "other" dealer in a couple of weeks for the 2nd free oil change.it will be the last time they see the car.regal is a lot closer,if they had a coupe when i was buying i would have bought from them instead.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
It scary 2020 civic still have ac issue. The issue might continue into 11th gen

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
It scary 2020 civic still have ac issue. The issue might continue into 11th gen
I don't know the exact specs of the 11th gen, but I'm guessing the AC is electric. The other day I was walking out of Target and a 11th gen Civic stopped to let me pass, then I heard it's Start/Stop feature.

At first I thought it was a Jetta, but after looking closely it was in fact a Civic!

Imo the 11th gen gets a thumbs down. It looks too similar to other cars, and I HATE Start/Stop features... those poor starters

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
I don't know the exact specs of the 11th gen, but I'm guessing the AC is electric. The other day I was walking out of Target and a 11th gen Civic stopped to let me pass, then I heard it's Start/Stop feature.
Doubt it - On the EU Start stop cars (9th and 10th gen), The AC just cuts out with the engine. The climate control monitors the cabin temperature, and won't shut down if it's too hot, or will automatically restart if it gets too warm inside.

A touch off topic, but I don't mind it too much -Nice to have in heavier traffic where you're sitting at lights for longer periods.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Doubt it - On the EU Start stop cars (9th and 10th gen), The AC just cuts out with the engine. The climate control monitors the cabin temperature, and won't shut down if it's too hot, or will automatically restart if it gets too warm inside.

A touch off topic, but I don't mind it too much -Nice to have in heavier traffic where you're sitting at lights for longer periods.
Idk man, this was in Austin with the temp close to 100. Maybe he was one of us and is afraid to use the AC lol

When I was a service advisor at CDJR (Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram) a lot vehicles with Start/Stop came in soon after the warranty expired with a dead starter.

Still off topic of this post, but I really dislike the fact an engine has to be started again before moving. I know it's a fraction of a second, but that fraction of a second could mean getting rear-ended or not

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
The AC is probably my biggest complaint on the civic (that and the fact that Android Auto wont stay connected moreo than 20min max, and the thin ass paint). Once its going it seems to work fine (but not really great). My girlfriends 2015 corolla is ice cold before Im done pulling out of the drive way but seems like the civic needs about 5-10min to really get cold. Once it is though it doesnt seem to have any issues keeping up with the AZ heat though.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Mine feels cold a few 10s of seconds after startup if the vent(s) is/are pointed at my face even in 95+ degree. If I want to cool down even faster, I activate Auto Mode.

KootenayCivic

First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
I just bought a low-mileage 2016 LX (Canadian Spec) from the Okanagan area here in BC where summer time temperatures regularly get to 100+ F (low humidity), and the AC works very well. Checking the service history of the vehicle, I can see that the AC has never been serviced / repaired. Hopefully it does not become an issue in the future.

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
Mine crapped out at the beginning of the summer. Got the condenser replaced under warranty the other day. Working great for now, but of course after having a string of hot/humid days for weeks, it's now cool outside. So I can't really test how cool the new A/C keeps the interior on really hot days just yet.

Spartan-033

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Mine is brand new, but it works like an absolute dream <3

You probably just need an AC-recharge kit or service.
Sponsored