heyitshogan

First Name
Hogan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜16 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I received my letter in the mail finally.

I had my gf's brother, a Honda Tech, take a look at both my Compressor Seal & Evaporator today. He had put UV dye in after previously doing my condenser TSB for me and lo and behold... BOTH the compressor seal and evaporator core are leaking lol.. FML.

Crossing my fingers that its just the compressor seal and for Honda to release a TSB for the Evaporator Core one day.... :\
Sponsored

coduscus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic
Country flag
7k miles/year in TX? How is that possible??

I'm just one data point, but don't worry, I have 177k miles on my '16 EX in TX and the A/C has been fine so far.
Haha right!? I initially racked up miles the first few years, then the pandemic / switch to remote work and new kiddos put a hold on that; I take any opportunity I can nowadays to get on the road, have missed it.

That's great to hear, the consistent triple-digit weather has been especially bad this year.

Telly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
Just got my car done at the dealer. $1883 later I have cold air in my car! Absolutely ridiculous Honda isnā€™t doing more about this issue. Expensive lesson to never buy or drive a Honda again!

Edit: this was for diagnostic fee + install of new compressor. Apparently my compressor coils failed and my compressor needed to be replaced. The dealer got the car done in around 2 hours. Not sure where the $1883 price tag came from, but like I said- expensive lesson to never drive or buy a Honda again.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Just got my car done at the dealer. $1883 later I have cold air in my car! Absolutely ridiculous Honda isnā€™t doing more about this issue. Expensive lesson to never buy or drive a Honda again!

Edit: this was for diagnostic fee + install of new compressor. Apparently my compressor coils failed and my compressor needed to be replaced. The dealer got the car done in around 2 hours. Not sure where the $1883 price tag came from, but like I said- expensive lesson to never drive or buy a Honda again.
It wasn't covered under warranty? As time continues probably more and more models will have problems. There was a class action lawsuit several years ago to cover all components not just a few items in the ac. Seems like it is helping a bit. For the longest time it was only the condenser.

Do other newer cars using this freon from other mfgs also have this problem? What about Acura? Or is it just strictly a Honda problem? I thought it was related to the corrosive freon specifically which if all companies are using should ha e similar issue unless it was a design component problem

Telly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
It wasn't covered under warranty? As time continues probably more and more models will have problems. There was a class action lawsuit several years ago to cover all components not just a few items in the ac. Seems like it is helping a bit. For the longest time it was only the condenser.

Do other newer cars using this freon from other mfgs also have this problem? What about Acura? Or is it just strictly a Honda problem? I thought it was related to the corrosive freon specifically which if all companies are using should ha e similar issue unless it was a design component problem
No it wasnā€™t covered under warranty. Dealer told me if I brought my car in to get serviced there more since 2021 they wouldā€™ve picked up the bill. I drive 5,000 miles a year since 2020 and take my car for oil changes and inspection at the spot walking distance from my work.

Kinda slimey for the service tech to say if I brought my car to them for my annual oil changes and inspection theyā€™d cover the work that shouldā€™ve been warrantied IMO. Just my .02 on the dealer though

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
About time they shot out a warranty for the compressor. Mines been having issues since last August and I just refilled it every few months since I wasn't going to foot a 2k bill. Hopefully it's under warranty but I'm not holding my breath since it finally kicked the bucket and stays hot.

Funnier part is the dealer I go to for oil/fluids/stuff I don't want to do basically said "yeah we can get you in end of August" and shafted me. But one I've never been to was like "we can get you in first thing Friday morning". I love this car (besides honestly the cheap ass paint) but the fact that this is such a prevalent problem has me questioning how long this car will really last over 100k

johnc_22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan - Touring - Cosmic Blue
Country flag
This sucks for everyone. My wife made me trade a perfectly good paid for Audi A4 due to a $1K fuel injector fix. Don't get me wrong, this car holds its own and is a great driver's car for the money, but in Atlanta A/C is not an option, it's a requirement. Everyone I know who has had a Honda loved it so I expected the same, but this has soured me on the brand. Just waiting for the denial response for my warranty claim at this point.

This car has driven from Atlanta to Cape Cod three times and to Vermont once. I just need the A/C working and paid for. I get at say, 80K maybe things break, but right out of warranty is ridiculous.

verzachaye

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I live in Hawai'i where A/C is definitely a necessity year-round. I received my letter regarding the TSB & warranty on the compressor seal about 2-3 weeks after I had just replaced my condenser. I'm sure it's been frustrating for everyone affected, I really hope these A/C issues haven't carried onto the 11th gen Civic & the Integra.

My condenser unfortunately wasn't covered under warranty because my dealer found damage to it unrelated to the leaks that they usually see, so they charged me $200 for diagnosis and quoted me $1500 to replace my condenser. I declined, so I had to source one myself and have a friend recharge it- $200 all said and done.

Last edited:

Telly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag

Just picked my car up from the dealer. The skid plate was hanging half off (wasnā€™t like that when I took it in) Had to listen to that thing drag against the road the whole way home, and look/sound trashy riding homeā€¦ that dealer really had the audacity to use not coming to the dealer for service against me. They canā€™t even properly secure a skid plate and they want me to trust them? :rofl:
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Extending Warranty on Compressor? IMG_0496

OP
OP
Nessism

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
ā€¦ that dealer really had the audacity to use not coming to the dealer for service against me. They canā€™t even properly secure a skid plate and they want me to trust them? :rofl:
A coworker of mine takes his 2017 to the dealership for all service. He BS's with the staff, and tips heavily. When his AC took a dump, they replaced EVERYTHING free of charge, including the evaporator.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
No it wasnā€™t covered under warranty. Dealer told me if I brought my car in to get serviced there more since 2021 they wouldā€™ve picked up the bill. I drive 5,000 miles a year since 2020 and take my car for oil changes and inspection at the spot walking distance from my work.

Kinda slimey for the service tech to say if I brought my car to them for my annual oil changes and inspection theyā€™d cover the work that shouldā€™ve been warrantied IMO. Just my .02 on the dealer though
If you are willing to reach out to Honda I would discuss the issue with them and see if they will reimburse it. I am not an attorney but warranty denial
Just picked my car up from the dealer. The skid plate was hanging half off (wasnā€™t like that when I took it in) Had to listen to that thing drag against the road the whole way home, and look/sound trashy riding homeā€¦ that dealer really had the audacity to use not coming to the dealer for service against me. They canā€™t even properly secure a skid plate and they want me to trust them? :rofl:
IMG_0496.jpeg
I wasn't joking about the dash being taken apart. With the prices the dealer charges, they are often very mediocre at best. If they struggle with a skid plate, it is hard to have confidence that they can do proper more complicated work.

There was a dealership not far from me someone here posted that the techs at the dealer didn't fully tighten his drain plug and it came out and all the oil spilled out while he was going full blast on the freeway..

IPx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Accord Touring Coupe, 19 Civic Hatchback Tourin
Country flag
Donā€™t hold your breath. I was told the same thing and never heard back. In the end they told me that my dealer has to reach out to them.
So far you been right, I didn't hear back from the case manager handling the case. So I called Honda Corporate and another rep told me that they were waiting on the dealership service rep to respond back to them. I called the dealership and the dealership service rep said no one left a voicemail or email. I then tried calling Honda back to give them his contact information and they said the case manager hasn't been in for the last 4 days (I think it's a lie) but they said they escalated my case number now (who knows if that's true) since the regular rep can't do anything beside adding a quick note to the case number.

Telly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Hatch
Country flag
So far you been right, I didn't hear back from the case manager handling the case. So I called Honda Corporate and another rep told me that they were waiting on the dealership service rep to respond back to them. I called the dealership and the dealership service rep said no one left a voicemail or email. I then tried calling Honda back to give them his contact information and they said the case manager hasn't been in for the last 4 days (I think it's a lie) but they said they escalated my case number now (who knows if that's true) since the regular rep can't do anything beside adding a quick note to the case number.
Yeah my case has had the exact trajectory yours is having. I shelled out the money for the repair. Iā€™m just waiting to see what they have to say about potential reimbursement. This whole process has made me go from being an enthusiast and taking pride in my car, to hating the brand. Iā€™m selling the civic and moving into something else tomorrow and canā€™t be happier.

A small update on my repair as well while Iā€™m here: my dealership told me theyā€™d tow my car 8 miles back to their shop to repair the skid plate dragging. I authorized a tow (just didnā€™t want the skid plate flying off and hitting a motorcyclist or someoneā€™s car)ā€¦. Come to find out the dealership got in my car, drove it to their shop, and made me come pick it up after agreeing to a tow the day prior. That dealership has really made me turn on the brand hard.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I had my compressor and condenser replaced exactly two years ago and now the driver side is blowing less cold/flat our warm during the summer days than the passenger. Currently trying to decide if I want to shell out $250/$150 from the quotes I got for a diagnostic fee. I really don't want to pay $250 to find out that now my evaporator is leaking

IPx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Accord Touring Coupe, 19 Civic Hatchback Tourin
Country flag
I had my compressor and condenser replaced exactly two years ago and now the driver side is blowing less cold/flat our warm during the summer days than the passenger. Currently trying to decide if I want to shell out $250/$150 from the quotes I got for a diagnostic fee. I really don't want to pay $250 to find out that now my evaporator is leaking
Yeah I understand your cautiousness but it's also sometime good to tackle the issue ASAP before it get worst when you really need it. Like in our situation, my wife has no AC in her car since July 5 and the temperature in Los Angeles been over 95 degree. everyday So to help her out a bit, I got her a neck fan until we hear back from Honda Corporate about our case number. I don't want to add freon or get anything fix and risk Honda saying that I voided their coverage since I already tried fixing it myself.
Sponsored