Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

kevinpantz

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R rally red, 2017 BRZ Series Yellow,
Country flag
The Rallye Red? You beat me to it ;) Hope you enjoy it! I'm looking for a PMM but would be willing to settle for a RR if it comes down to it.
Yep that's the one!! I was originally going to fly there to get it and drive back, but with shipping only being $1050 and able to be rolled into the loan, whereas a one way ticket is $450, plus needing a hotel for one or two nights and then gas on the 14hr drive back, it was far more convenient to just have them ship it, otherwise I'd be in it right now lol.
Sponsored

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Yep that's the one!! I was originally going to fly there to get it and drive back, but with shipping only being $1050 and able to be rolled into the loan, whereas a one way ticket is $450, plus needing a hotel for one or two nights and then gas on the 14hr drive back, it was far more convenient to just have them ship it, otherwise I'd be in it right now lol.
Congratulations! Another great success story..

koochieman

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Civic Sedan, 2018 Black CTR
Country flag
@Kevinpant who did you use for your freight carrier? and how did you get someone through the dealership to complete the visual inspection of the vehicle before driver loaded on trailer? Currently doing research as I have several quotes from different competitors, but it would give me piece of mind having a member on here that had a good experience from dispatcher/driver/overall vehicle condition once received. Thanks

Also, there's still a lot of strong leads for those still looking to buy a CTR at MSRP. So stay persistent and seriously check this forum often! learning so much on here

TROOPTYPE-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Accord Sport, 2018 Civic Type R Champion White
Country flag
@Kevinpant who did you use for your freight carrier? and how did you get someone through the dealership to complete the visual inspection of the vehicle before driver loaded on trailer? Currently doing research as I have several quotes from different competitors, but it would give me piece of mind having a member on here that had a good experience from dispatcher/driver/overall vehicle condition once received. Thanks

Also, there's still a lot of strong leads for those still looking to buy a CTR at MSRP. So stay persistent and seriously check this forum often! learning so much on here
+1

kevinpantz

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Forgive me for this long message, but as I have also have had some PM's asking about several different aspects of the deal, I may as well put all the info here for anyone else who would like to know more about the process I'm going through. :) It's my pleasure to share what I can.

SHIPPING

I don't think the car will be shipping until Friday or Saturday at the earliest so I don't have a definite answer answer. The salesman gave me the quote prior to purchase but my guess (of course I could be wrong) is that since it's a penske automotive dealer and they have their own network of semi trucks, they might ship it from Indianapolis to another penske dealer in south florida, probably picking up/dropping off cars along the way, then use a local company to deliver from there to my house.

Prior to loading the car at the dealership Scott will be texting me pictures of it, and I have faith that nothing will go wrong in transit. For reference when I had my s2000 and was driving from Las Vegas to Pensacola Fl, I stopped for the night in Gallup, NM. My car was broken into and needed a new top. It was December 23rd so no way I was going to keep driving in the snow. Left the car to be fixed at a no name repair shop, and their front desk person sent me pictures of my car all around, plus interior, before loading it up to ship to me. In that instance I used Montway shipping with an enclosed trailer (required for lowered cars) and it cost me $1200 for the ~1,400 miles. I went through Uship and they actually weren't the lowest overall bid, I could've got it for $900 from a company with 2 reviews, but Montway is an established shipping company and I was willing to pay extra for the peace of mind. The drivers called me the day of delivery and told me the options of places and times I could meet them since they could only fit into certain parking lots. Met them at the arranged time and after pulling the car out they let me look it over (everything was 100%) before signing the acceptance papers.

3 months ago I bought a performance package BRZ off of Carvana. Their website has the 360 view of the car and points out the imperfections with high res pics so you don't have to hunt them down. They delivered right to my front door 2 days after purchase and sent a very pleasant driver with copies of all my signed documents. Per Carvana policy I was actually allowed to test drive the car before signing the paperwork to accept delivery. Just had to show proof of insurance. I think that might be a Carvana specific policy though since there's always the possibility I could have been rear ended, curbed the wheels, or even over rev and blow the engine during the test drive, which strangely happens after purchase, but before I sign the paperwork accepting delivery, so it makes you wonder who would technically be in possession of the blown motor car if that happened lol. The driver was VERY careful with getting the car off the bed and pointed out the flaws that were already known, and once again everything else was 100%. In this case Carvana offered the shipping for free.

I could go on and on about having motorcycles and cars shipped to me/my boss, including high end cars like Ferraris/GTRs/Lambos. Ironically it was never the cheaper cars that had issues, but the expensive ones that would show up dirty or with chipped windshields and never with an explanation, but always covered by the shipper's insurance.

FINANCING PROCESS and taxes for out of state
For more background on the deal, I'm using my credit union for the loan. The dealership received all my info tuesday morning 9/25, driver's license, bank info, insurance, etc. They have a national network of notaries that they use and said they are overnighting paperwork to their notary closest to me, who will call me after receiving the documents to either meet at my house or somewhere nearby to sign. After that the notary will overnight the documents back to the dealership. Once received Scott will do whatever it is dealerships do to get money from the bank and ship the car out to me.

When I purchased the brz from Carvana the entire process took 4 days from me clicking "buy now", to uploading documents, verification of funds, and delivery to my front door. At the time it felt slow but I think they might be faster for online purchases and shipping logistics since it's the majority of their business model. For this deal with Penske Honda I already had approved financing before I even called. I recently started working for my self and don't have pay stubs so they didn't even try to waste time getting me to apply for their financing options. I've been with my credit union coming up on 10 years now and they quit asking for income verification for auto loans for me about 3 1/2 years ago.

I was approved for up to $45k which Scott knows since he's seen my loan documents, but when I told him I didn't want to go above $40k all in, he gave me options for extended coverages and was not pushy at all. I truly do appreciate knowing about the options I could have chosen. I passed on the option for the wheel replacement package (curbing/potholes), passed on extended warranty to 100k miles since I'm pretty sure I'm going to be voiding the warranty left and right, but opted to get the service contract for the 5yrs/however many miles. 60k I thiiiink. Brings my total up to around $40,500 with taxes and delivery rolled into the loan as well. It's important to let them know if your lender requires it, or if you want it. Scott used to work at dealerships in Florida before moving to Indianapolis, so he's very familiar with my state's taxes, unregulated doc fees, and registration process. I can't say if that part would have gone as smoothly if he wasn't, so it's definitely something you should be familiar with if you're looking to buy a car out of state. From what they told me, a new car being transported to another state won't be charged taxes at the sale, but when it's registered in it's destination state. So know your state's tax rate, registration/plate costs, etc, before you finalize everything. Last thing you wanna do is buy your Type R and after a down payment find out you've gotta pay another $2500-3000 out of pocket for registration.

I'm guessing some parts of Florida must be like the wild west, because on my motorcycle I was able to finance the bike and since it was under 125% of book value (my banks limit), I was able to purchase an aftermarket exhaust and lower the bike and have the labor and parts put in the loan by purchasing the bike at a higher price than listed. I tried to do that with the Type R as I wanted it delivered with the windows already tinted since it's HOT AF in south florida, and even with me willing to add it to the purchase price, they weren't able to do it because "it would be considered a discount".... I'm not sure what that means.

Sup_Devil

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Pilot, S2000, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Forgive me for this long message, but as I have also have had some PM's asking about several different aspects of the deal, I may as well put all the info here for anyone else who would like to know more about the process I'm going through. :) It's my pleasure to share what I can.

SHIPPING

I don't think the car will be shipping until Friday or Saturday at the earliest so I don't have a definite answer answer. The salesman gave me the quote prior to purchase but my guess (of course I could be wrong) is that since it's a penske automotive dealer and they have their own network of semi trucks, they might ship it from Indianapolis to another penske dealer in south florida, probably picking up/dropping off cars along the way, then use a local company to deliver from there to my house.

Prior to loading the car at the dealership Scott will be texting me pictures of it, and I have faith that nothing will go wrong in transit. For reference when I had my s2000 and was driving from Las Vegas to Pensacola Fl, I stopped for the night in Gallup, NM. My car was broken into and needed a new top. It was December 23rd so no way I was going to keep driving in the snow. Left the car to be fixed at a no name repair shop, and their front desk person sent me pictures of my car all around, plus interior, before loading it up to ship to me. In that instance I used Montway shipping with an enclosed trailer (required for lowered cars) and it cost me $1200 for the ~1,400 miles. I went through Uship and they actually weren't the lowest overall bid, I could've got it for $900 from a company with 2 reviews, but Montway is an established shipping company and I was willing to pay extra for the peace of mind. The drivers called me the day of delivery and told me the options of places and times I could meet them since they could only fit into certain parking lots. Met them at the arranged time and after pulling the car out they let me look it over (everything was 100%) before signing the acceptance papers.

3 months ago I bought a performance package BRZ off of Carvana. Their website has the 360 view of the car and points out the imperfections with high res pics so you don't have to hunt them down. They delivered right to my front door 2 days after purchase and sent a very pleasant driver with copies of all my signed documents. Per Carvana policy I was actually allowed to test drive the car before signing the paperwork to accept delivery. Just had to show proof of insurance. I think that might be a Carvana specific policy though since there's always the possibility I could have been rear ended, curbed the wheels, or even over rev and blow the engine during the test drive, which strangely happens after purchase, but before I sign the paperwork accepting delivery, so it makes you wonder who would technically be in possession of the blown motor car if that happened lol. The driver was VERY careful with getting the car off the bed and pointed out the flaws that were already known, and once again everything else was 100%. In this case Carvana offered the shipping for free.

I could go on and on about having motorcycles and cars shipped to me/my boss, including high end cars like Ferraris/GTRs/Lambos. Ironically it was never the cheaper cars that had issues, but the expensive ones that would show up dirty or with chipped windshields and never with an explanation, but always covered by the shipper's insurance.

FINANCING PROCESS and taxes for out of state
For more background on the deal, I'm using my credit union for the loan. The dealership received all my info tuesday morning 9/25, driver's license, bank info, insurance, etc. They have a national network of notaries that they use and said they are overnighting paperwork to their notary closest to me, who will call me after receiving the documents to either meet at my house or somewhere nearby to sign. After that the notary will overnight the documents back to the dealership. Once received Scott will do whatever it is dealerships do to get money from the bank and ship the car out to me.

When I purchased the brz from Carvana the entire process took 4 days from me clicking "buy now", to uploading documents, verification of funds, and delivery to my front door. At the time it felt slow but I think they might be faster for online purchases and shipping logistics since it's the majority of their business model. For this deal with Penske Honda I already had approved financing before I even called. I recently started working for my self and don't have pay stubs so they didn't even try to waste time getting me to apply for their financing options. I've been with my credit union coming up on 10 years now and they quit asking for income verification for auto loans for me about 3 1/2 years ago.

I was approved for up to $45k which Scott knows since he's seen my loan documents, but when I told him I didn't want to go above $40k all in, he gave me options for extended coverages and was not pushy at all. I truly do appreciate knowing about the options I could have chosen. I passed on the option for the wheel replacement package (curbing/potholes), passed on extended warranty to 100k miles since I'm pretty sure I'm going to be voiding the warranty left and right, but opted to get the service contract for the 5yrs/however many miles. 60k I thiiiink. Brings my total up to around $40,500 with taxes and delivery rolled into the loan as well. It's important to let them know if your lender requires it, or if you want it. Scott used to work at dealerships in Florida before moving to Indianapolis, so he's very familiar with my state's taxes, unregulated doc fees, and registration process. I can't say if that part would have gone as smoothly if he wasn't, so it's definitely something you should be familiar with if you're looking to buy a car out of state. From what they told me, a new car being transported to another state won't be charged taxes at the sale, but when it's registered in it's destination state. So know your state's tax rate, registration/plate costs, etc, before you finalize everything. Last thing you wanna do is buy your Type R and after a down payment find out you've gotta pay another $2500-3000 out of pocket for registration.

I'm guessing some parts of Florida must be like the wild west, because on my motorcycle I was able to finance the bike and since it was under 125% of book value (my banks limit), I was able to purchase an aftermarket exhaust and lower the bike and have the labor and parts put in the loan by purchasing the bike at a higher price than listed. I tried to do that with the Type R as I wanted it delivered with the windows already tinted since it's HOT AF in south florida, and even with me willing to add it to the purchase price, they weren't able to do it because "it would be considered a discount".... I'm not sure what that means.

Great info man! Thanks! A Ferrari and Lambo buyer with a CTR? Very cool!

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
How much and what is the wheel package about? Why purchasing the service contract but not the extended warranty?

...I passed on the option for the wheel replacement package (curbing/potholes), passed on extended warranty to 100k miles since I'm pretty sure I'm going to be voiding the warranty left and right, but opted to get the service contract for the 5yrs/however many miles. 60k I thiiiink....

kevinpantz

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Great info man! Thanks! A Ferrari and Lambo buyer with a CTR? Very cool!
Oh no! Definitely not me hahaha. Those were my boss' purchases for inventory. Used to run an exotic performance shop in Ft. Lauderdale and would also buy used exotics that needed a little work to flip them.

How much and what is the wheel package about? Why purchasing the service contract but not the extended warranty?
I'm going to talk to Scott about that to get a number as he seems very trustworthy, it was another salesperson from the dealership who called after Scott had left offering more warranty coverage options and quoted the wheel package at $5,000 had to ask him to repeat the amount. Absolutely not. That's almost 2 sets of aftermarket rims and times. I've seen other people getting the same thing for $500-1000 though. I would like to have it, but it's a hard pass at $5k. My thought on this is that they may be inflating warranty costs to help them get money back for not selling the CTR with a $10k markup. After declining the extras except for service contract, he called back and said he was able to get me the extended warranty, service contract, and wheel package for $40,800, but that price didn't include taxes and registration. So obviously he was able to lower some of the prices since he quote the extended warranty at $3750, service contract at $1600, wheels at $5000, and shipping at $1050. Adding those to the base price of $35,595 comes to $41,995, BEFORE adding the $5k wheel package quote. Even if it was $500 and he misread it, there's obviously wiggle room in there.

I'm skipping on the extended warranty because I'm already looking at things like unlocking the ecu along with suspension and bolt on mods. Im sure with those things done to the car they could use any of them to deny a claim. Bolt ons could void all powertrain warranty, and the ecu could void all electronic. I don't know if Honda's are the same, but I know with Audi's since 08 the dealership can tell if the ecu has ever been flashed even if the ecu is flashed back to stock before service.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
So, the bolt-on won't void your Service Contract? And I am with you on this perspective - that's why I won't be able to get to KTuner/Hondata because I want to get a HondaCare 8yrs/120K miles so I can sleep better at nights :)

...I'm skipping on the extended warranty because I'm already looking at things like unlocking the ecu along with suspension and bolt on mods. Im sure with those things done to the car they could use any of them to deny a claim. Bolt ons could void all powertrain warranty, and the ecu could void all electronic. I don't know if Honda's are the same, but I know with Audi's since 08 the dealership can tell if the ecu has ever been flashed even if the ecu is flashed back to stock before service.

Broin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW Type R, '19 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Washington State dealers are still marking up their Type Rs, but it has come down a bit. Local friend got his for $39k and he talked down another dealer for $38k. Most dealers around the Greater Seattle area look to be around the $38-40k price point. Really hoping there is eventually a chance at MSRP, but I doubt it

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
Washington State dealers are still marking up their Type Rs, but it has come down a bit. Local friend got his for $39k and he talked down another dealer for $38k. Most dealers around the Greater Seattle area look to be around the $38-40k price point. Really hoping there is eventually a chance at MSRP, but I doubt it
I have a no haggle contact for a dealer in the Seattle area with a $2k or so markup.
No extras
DM if anyone wants the contact name.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
He didn't perhaps buy a CW from Bellevue Honda and parks it somewhere on Capitol Hill, eh?? If so, tell him I enjoy parking next to him occasionally to keep other's from parking there ;) If not...well, tell him congratulations any ways!

I also ran into another CTR at a gas station locally, and we swapped tales about ADM woes. He went out of state to get his, and I got lucky as hell at a dealer that is definitely not doing MSRP any more (I was pushy enough on their month end in January to get them to commit). Sadly, Washington dealers seem to be clutching ADM to their chests quite tightly. I hear Oregon is playing as well, especially since they have dealers in N/S border states supporting ADM.

I'm kind of excited for the 2019 release since it will bring more stock and hopefully less/no ADM... but honestly I'm doubtful that dealers won't still try, it just may take more research and pushing by consumers rather than just accepting the ADM.

Broin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW Type R, '19 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
He didn't perhaps buy a CW from Bellevue Honda and parks it somewhere on Capitol Hill, eh?? If so, tell him I enjoy parking next to him occasionally to keep other's from parking there ;) If not...well, tell him congratulations any ways!

I also ran into another CTR at a gas station locally, and we swapped tales about ADM woes. He went out of state to get his, and I got lucky as hell at a dealer that is definitely not doing MSRP any more (I was pushy enough on their month end in January to get them to commit). Sadly, Washington dealers seem to be clutching ADM to their chests quite tightly. I hear Oregon is playing as well, especially since they have dealers in N/S border states supporting ADM.

I'm kind of excited for the 2019 release since it will bring more stock and hopefully less/no ADM... but honestly I'm doubtful that dealers won't still try, it just may take more research and pushing by consumers rather than just accepting the ADM.
Nope, not him! He got his down in South Tacoma (I believe) and we're both further up in the north end. I've thought about flying out of state and then driving back too, but with the ADM getting closer and closer to MSRP, it's just not worth it. I do hope prices drop with the release of the 2019! Hopefully I'll have my own CTR sometime next year.

GypsyR19

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS, '18 6M-Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Honda of Concord near Charlotte, NC is asking $45k for their Champ White Type R. They lured me out at $36k over the phone and when I got there, they told me $45k still lol wasted a 6 hour round trip with them
Well it's the end of September and it looks like they still have that same Champ White CTR for the same high price $44895
Sponsored