Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

harrytos23

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
does anyone here had problem with tuning their car? like cvt failing or blown engine? What tune are you running and mods at what mileage. Thanks
Sponsored

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pearl Black Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Country flag
does anyone here had problem with tuning their car? like cvt failing or blown engine? What tune are you running and mods at what mileage. Thanks
Ive had a couple buddies with some blown CVTs or Engines. I feel like the only way you’d be able to blow your motor or transmission would be; pushing your car harder than you should or overtuning the car (cranking up boost). I have a friend who’s FBO with KTUNER base maps and his car has had 0 problems in the history of his ownership. if you still to moderate bolt-ons and OTS Tunes, you’ll definitely be OK. I currently have been tuned for about 20k miles with a downpipe and Cobra CAI and have has 0 problems. Take care of your car and it’ll take care of you. Hope this helps!

harrytos23

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Ive had a couple buddies with some blown CVTs or Engines. I feel like the only way you’d be able to blow your motor or transmission would be; pushing your car harder than you should or overtuning the car (cranking up boost). I have a friend who’s FBO with KTUNER base maps and his car has had 0 problems in the history of his ownership. if you still to moderate bolt-ons and OTS Tunes, you’ll definitely be OK. I currently have been tuned for about 20k miles with a downpipe and Cobra CAI and have has 0 problems. Take care of your car and it’ll take care of you. Hope this helps!
Thanks sir!! Just want to hit at least 100k on this car that's why hahaha

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well, after months of delays, I finally have a KTuner V2. I set it up with the dual Factory ECO/21psi map. All I've done is adjust the boost by gear for first (10psi) and second (18 psi). I've done a few small pulls and I've been laughing like a madman. The transformation to this car has been INCREDIBLE.

@gtman if you have any recommendations for adjustments other then BBG please enlighten me. I'm currently running a Cobra CAI but after my new wheels and tires I'll be redoing the whole Exhaust system.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
BBG is set too low in "1st". Try 15 psi.

And at some point add your car to my tuning experience megathread.

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
BBG is set too low in "1st". Try 15 psi.

And at some point add your car to my tuning experience megathread.
Word. I wasn't sure where to put it so I went low for conservative sake. Will up that then. I'll definitely add in to the Survey. Gonna run it for a week to get an idea of everything and so I can do some good testing with it. Did you adjust the turbo spool up, throttle response or any of that?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I did all of that many many times. Probably ran 15-20 different tune combos. Are you driving mostly city or highway? Want more low end? I can give you some tweak ideas if you give me an idea of what you're looking for.

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Oh, I did all of that many many times. Probably ran 15-20 different tune combos. Are you driving mostly city or highway? Want more low end? I can give you some tweak ideas if you give me an idea of what you're looking for.
I drive a good combination of both. Daily work commute is city and 6 miles on highway. Take alot of 30-60 mile highway trips as well

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Would definitely love some ideas for a LITTLE more on the low end and all around, I'm brand new to all of this

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Under quick enables, toggle Early Spool ON.

Then on your quick adjustments do this...

Turbo responsiveness: Improved I
Turbo spool: Improved I
ECO button: ECO on normalized throttle

Throttle responsiveness: Improved I
Boost target ramp rate: Improved I

Those settings will liven things up a bit in a very safe way.

Reactions: Myx

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Under quick enables, toggle Early Spool ON.

Then on your quick adjustments do this...

Turbo responsiveness: Improved I
Turbo spool: Improved I
ECO button: ECO on normalized throttle

Throttle responsiveness: Improved I
Boost target ramp rate: Improved I

Those settings will liven things up a bit in a very safe way.
Uploading that configuration now. Will definitely let you know. I haven't stopped smiling honestly this tuner coming in has been the break I needed

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Uploading that configuration now. Will definitely let you know. I haven't stopped smiling honestly this tuner coming in has been the break I needed
It's an interesting thing. I have people messaging me all the time asking for advice. People wondering what bolt ons to add and tuning advice. But like I tell them, start with the tune and take it from there. For a lot of people a tune is all you need.

It alone totally transforms the car.

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's an interesting thing. I have people messaging me all the time asking for advice. People wondering what bolt ons to add and tuning advice. But like I tell them, start with the tune and take it from there. For a lot of people a tune is all you need.

It alone totally transforms the car.
I'm in love with it. Side note: have you found a way to turn the Tuner off when you turn the car off? Unplugging and replugging is kind of a chore. I'm not gonna leave it in all the time but I like having it in

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I never leave it in my car. I just hook it up when I upload a new tune or do the occasional datalog. But that's just me.
Sponsored