Bought Ktuner, loaded a basemap, considering custom tune...

OP
OP

murphyjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L 1.5T CVT
I don't care for S mode, it really brings out the worst in the CVT with its jerkiness. I bought the Ktuner so I could stay out of S keep in D and it has helped alot. also I feel silly switching from drive to S with my Wife in the car lol, she makes fun of me because I act like it's a manual. ALSO I'm still unsure of switching to S while pressing the accelerator, everyone says it's fine but the manual specifically says doing so could damage the transmission on the 16 CVT sedan.
Two things: One is that my wife made fun of me for the EXACT SAME THING. LOL. And as far as shifting to D to S, by Honda sales guy had me do it during my test drive when entering the highway. Mine's a 2017 EX-L sedan so I doubt there's any diff. The same warning is probably in my manual. Ironically, that little sales ploy actually sold me on the car. I've been doing it without any concern at all. Going to look at that manual now I guess.
Sponsored

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
I always let off the gas before switching between the two. No different than you would do with a manual (in normal driving applications).

Philly_cuz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport
I don't care for S mode, it really brings out the worst in the CVT with its jerkiness. I bought the Ktuner so I could stay out of S keep in D and it has helped alot. also I feel silly switching from drive to S with my Wife in the car lol, she makes fun of me because I act like it's a manual. ALSO I'm still unsure of switching to S while pressing the accelerator, everyone says it's fine but the manual specifically says doing so could damage the transmission on the 16 CVT sedan.
I switch from D to S all the time on the highway especially when I need some passing speed. Is this not good to do? Ugh, wish the wife let me get a manual.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I switch from D to S all the time on the highway especially when I need some passing speed. Is this not good to do? Ugh, wish the wife let me get a manual.
the owners manual is very vague, but it's the last paragraph that makes me second guess

Honda Civic 10th gen Bought Ktuner, loaded a basemap, considering custom tune... IMG_2276.PNG

BV1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
The manual is written the way it is to avoid the dreaded "neutral drop". Or to avoid shifting from D to R while in motion etc. When you suddenly switch from D to S its no different then the ECU "fake shifting" your just doing under a much lighter load.

Steve

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
It is fine to shift between S and D without letting off the gas. The Accord Sport I had was a similar CVT and there was never any problems in the 3 years I drove it. If it was bad for it, the computer wouldn't let it engage to protect it. I probably would not do it if I was already floored but to change gears then floor it is not a problem.

HelloImDrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic (soon)
Country flag
I just got my KTuner v1 today and set it to Stage 2 and left it as is. After reading these posts I went and changed it to "21 psi starter" and set the Quick Adjustments to Aggressive II for all the settings then turned off both of the VSA settings.

Haven't had a chance to drive the car, but seeing how everything is stock, are these settings too much? I don't want to wreck the engine or any parts by doing something it can't handle. Is it better to just set it back to "Stage 2" Preset? Is there a sweet spot for each of the settings in "Quick Adjustment" for a stock 17 Civic HB (CVT)?

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
I just got my KTuner v1 today and set it to Stage 2 and left it as is. After reading these posts I went and changed it to "21 psi starter" and set the Quick Adjustments to Aggressive II for all the settings then turned off both of the VSA settings.

Haven't had a chance to drive the car, but seeing how everything is stock, are these settings too much? I don't want to wreck the engine or any parts by doing something it can't handle. Is it better to just set it back to "Stage 2" Preset? Is there a sweet spot for each of the settings in "Quick Adjustment" for a stock 17 Civic HB (CVT)?
That's fine. I would suggest lowering PSI to 9PSI between 3000-3800 RPM on a CVT.
Sponsored