Had to use the actual key

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I actually had this issue while I was picking my car up from the dealer for the recalled parking break software update. They gave me the key and when I went out to get my car it wouldn't unlock and the turn signals were solidly lit just like everyone else. Their "master tech" came out to look at it and had no idea what was going on. After about 20 mins they got me into the car and checked to see if it threw any codes (it didn't) and said to come back if it ever happens again. Guess I should go buy a lottery ticket.
Wait! You only get to buy a lottery ticket if you manage to get the dealer to reproduce the problem. Which is probably going to be tougher than winning an actual lottery.

kolokot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
Country flag
It happened to me yesterday on a shopping mall parking lot. My wife and I came out of the shopping, opened the trunk and put the shopping bags in, closed the trunk, and then attempted to open the driver side door, but it was not working. Tried the remote control thing, it did not work either. Took out the physical key and tried it, to no avail. It would turn, but the door remained locked. The lights, not the main ones, were on. After waiting forty five minutes, I tried again and the physical key opened the door, which initiated the alarm, but then the remote worked well in stopping the alarm. The car then was working normally as if nothing happened. I made an appointment with the dealership for this Thursday, will see what they say and do about it. Needless to say, I am worried.
There is a follow up on this. So, my wife took the car to the dealer and the guy said that someone left the back seat light not on auto, like the rest of the lights and possibly it was interfering. Unfortunately, today when we went to the parking lot at home, it happened again. I am calling them tomorrow. Will be a lot more insistent than the previous time. I like the car, even with less than perfect infotainment system, but can't tolerate a car that you don't know whether will open. Starting g to regret my decision to buy it.

Milli M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 4 Dr.
I had the same problem twice now, first November 30th, opened trunk put bags in, driver door would not open, almost freaked right out, had a problem seeing to get the key out of the fob, but eventually opened up with key, wondered if it would start and all kinds of freaky stuff, but did start (Whew). I Mentioned it to the dealership and they say they never heard of anyone having that problem and no idea why it would happen. Locked out again yesterday April 10/17, same thing, open trunk, then driver door would not open auto by touch on handle nor using the fob, got the key out of fob and it opened it. Others have the same problem, so perhaps one should leave the trunk open until you unlock the door, or maybe unlock the door first, then the truck? It is a bit annoying as then I am a bit worried about being able to get back in after the next stop. I will mention this again to the dealership, but in the meantime will keep the fingers crossed that I don't have the same situations as some others have mentioned. 1st time, the horn beeped at me when I passed the front of the vehicle, 2nd time, nothing. Locked both times with the button (outside) on the door and attempted to open first with auto-door handle then with fob.

My son-in-law had a problem with his Chrysler, coming back finding car running, or finding doors unlocked, they were told it could be someone with a similar vehicle parked nearby started, unlocked, their vehicle and his vehicle reacted. Is that possible?

Milli M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 4 Dr.
I found this thread because I had a similar experience today. 2016 Honda Civic Touring with 1700 miles.
All this occurred with the key fob in my pocket. Parked the car. Opened the Trunk. Closed the Trunk. Went into an office for a few minutes. Came out. Opened the Trunk. Closed the Trunk. Went to open the door by touching the handle and it would not unlock. Trunk handle would no longer open the trunk. The Turn signal lights were all on solid.
Removed key fob from pocket. Tried the key fob buttons but they would not unlock the doors or trunk. Tried the mechanical key in the key fob and it turned but did not unlock the car (I did not feel any kind of mechanical feedback). I could not call Honda Road Side Assistance because my phone was in the car. Since I was only going to be in the office a few minutes I left it in the car attached to the car play usb port.
Went to find help and we came outside. While calling Honda Roadside Assistance (about 1/2 hour after the incident began) the turn signal lights turned off and the key fob now unlocked the doors. The car would start and everything seemed normal. I was most concerned about the mechanical key not working. It seemed like a serious design flaw if there needed to be power to use the key. So, I turned the car off and tried the key again. This time it locked and unlocked the doors and I could feel definite mechanical feedback. This was totally different then the earlier attempts to use the mechanical key.
When I finally went to drive away there was no sound from the iPhone through Apple Car Play. I tried other sources. No XM, No FM, No AM. Turned the car off and started it again. Still no sound. Turned the car off, waited a few minutes, and started it again. This time the sound returned. May or may not be related.
I have read some other messages regarding similar experiences with the mechanical key and one regarding the phone being inside the car. A possible clue to reproducing the problem since this is the first time I have ever left the phone in the car attached to the usb port. I may try that tomorrow -- with the windows rolled down of course.
Yes with the windows down for sure, don't blame you! My phone was not in my car, I carry it in an insulated case and it is not anywhere near the fob. Civic 4 dr with just under 12,000 K's (Canadian).

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
My son-in-law had a problem with his Chrysler, coming back finding car running, or finding doors unlocked, they were told it could be someone with a similar vehicle parked nearby started, unlocked, their vehicle and his vehicle reacted. Is that possible?
Twice this happened to me in my own single family home garage. Nothing else nearby. So... I don't think it is because of someone else.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Uh.... where does the physical key go? I thought it was useless, except to pop the trunk release up behind the rear seats. Am I keyslot blind?

EDIT: Nevermind... confirmed keyslot blindness!

Last edited:

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
I actually had this issue while I was picking my car up from the dealer for the recalled parking break software update. They gave me the key and when I went out to get my car it wouldn't unlock and the turn signals were solidly lit just like everyone else. Their "master tech" came out to look at it and had no idea what was going on. After about 20 mins they got me into the car and checked to see if it threw any codes (it didn't) and said to come back if it ever happens again. Guess I should go buy a lottery ticket.
Tell me you had them document that incident. I can see them saying they don't remember it ever happening if you so happened to experience it again next time.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Does anyone know if there have been enough incidents reported for Honda to even acknowledge that the problem exists?

stadiumrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex hatchback
Happened to my 2017 Civic hatchback. Keyless entry not working. Remote buttons work. Front windshield wipers don't always work which is concerning and could be dangerous. Started regretting the purchase.:banghead::banghead:

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Strangeness. Couple days ago, I went to lunch and walked out to my car, grabbed the door handle and nothing. I then went to the fob and punched the unlock button. Nothing. Mildly freaked out. Then took the physical key and unlocked the door. Good. Opened the door and the alarm goes off! Mildly freaked out. Got in the car and hit the start button. Car starts and alarm shuts off. Crises averted but still mildly freaked out. Hasn't happened since that one time. Battery going out in fob?

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Guys, they have a fix for this.

I brought my car into the dealership last week after a lockout where my key fob/physical key wouldn't work after using the trunk left me stranded outside of a Starbucks for 3 hours. The service tech at my dealership had never encountered it, but after a quick search of a local mechanical forum, he found out the root of the issue. I don't have the paperwork handy from my visit, but I can post a new thread with the results in a bit.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Guys, they have a fix for this.

I brought my car into the dealership last week after a lockout where my key fob/physical key wouldn't work after using the trunk left me stranded outside of a Starbucks for 3 hours. The service tech at my dealership had never encountered it, but after a quick search of a local mechanical forum, he found out the root of the issue. I don't have the paperwork handy from my visit, but I can post a new thread with the results in a bit.
Or you know, like, just reply here
Sponsored