Had to use the actual key

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
If having other keys and metal objects interfered near or on your key chain with your key fob was the problem then I assume there would be a massive recall with hundreds of thousands of people complaining about it. Freakin dealerships :banghead::mad:
I carry the fobs to both family vehicles in my pocket, on the same ring, along with whatever coins I may have and the cell phone when I have it on my person. I had to replace the battery in my Challenger fob once at about 2 years, but my fob for the wife's Nissan has been whacked for a whole long time. Battery replacement doesn't help. It'll start the car if I hold it up against the start button, but won't open doors. For whatever that's worth. Probably nothing.
Sponsored

Dredogol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Hi all

Decided to add to this thread after having very similar problem

I have this problem with my Civic for almost 2 months now every day

Took it to the dealership after making an appointment, they could not reproduce after 2-hours or work

After they came out to tell me cannot reproduce, I was able to recreate same scenario in front of them

Model:
2017 Civic Hatchback EXL-Navi (USA)

- Auto entry on driver door handle will not unlock (hand on handle)
- auto entry on passenger door handle will not unlock
- hatch trunk will not open after pressing button, even if doors unlocked
- both key FOB have same symptoms
- no other electronic devices near FOB or door
- key FOB buttons WILL lock/unlock vehicle properly
- auto entry WILL work within first 60 seconds of locking the vehicle, both driver and passenger sides (hand on hanfle will unlock)
- hatch trunk WILL open when press button within first 60 seconds of unlocking (after 60 sec cannot open hatch)
- when malfunctioning, button on door handle not responsive
- changing internal lock/unlock functions from system setting has no effect
- have NOT reset system settings back to factory defaults

What's unique in this case is it CAN be reproduced, but funny thing is first 60 seconds the auto entry system works just fine.
After 60 seconds the doors and hatch acts up

Anyone else seen this before?
I got word from a "different" dealership today they are going to order a BCU (Body Control Unit) and get it replaced next week as they've seen this issue before.
Lets see if it fixes the problem.

Thank you much Spinner for posting your findings.

Apollo!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
Country flag
Same problem that everybody experienced in this thread last Saturday (10/21/17). First time ever with this 16' EX.

Walked to my car and opened the trunk (without pressing the key fob) and it opened. I closed it and everything stopped working. Auto entry on the door handle didn't work. All key presses on the key fob wouldn't respond. I got my 2nd backup key fob and it does absolutely nothing.

Had to use my actual key to unlock the car. And everything after that worked fine. WTF.

carvedangel

First Name
Graham Jaroski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Si
I'll start from the beginning. I arrived to work, shut the car off, got out locked the door by pressing the button located on the outside of door. When I went to my car, I placed my hand in between the car handle and the car in order to unlock the car. Nothing happened. I pressed the buttons on the FOB to see if that would unlock my car. Nothing. I than bought the battery required for the FOB and replaced it (even though I know the FOB wasn't dead because the light worked) and still nothing. At that point I removed the manual key located inside of the FOB. Placed the key into the driver door.. the key fits perfectly and turns as if the car would unlock, however the car does not unlock. No Alarms will go off. Nothing. I tried pressing and holding down the buttons on the FOB and that doesn't work either. I had my parents bring me the spare FOB to see if the problem was the remote itself. That did not work either.

Both FOBs were given to me at the same time and at the time of purchasing the car. I never had a key made for the either. Everything is the original.
What did you end up doing?
My battery died the other day same thing happened to me. Called a locksmith to get me in the car so I could replace the battery. Had another key cut from the dealer before doing that and that is the same cut the dealer that I bought the car gave me so that obviously did not work either... Right now I am out 210$ and 2 days of work because I could not get into my car. Since replacing my battery I can unlock and lock my car with the fob. But I need the keys to work if this ever happens again. So did you get the dealer to fix it?

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
SO...is the BCM fixing this or not fixing this issue?

I dont use the walk away feature but my car was not locking for me yesterday unless I press on my keyfob, but seemed to be unlocking for me just fine. Seems like I have the opposite issue? IDK but its annoying as hell. My cheap as hell Ford Fiesta never had issues locking/unlocking doors.

I actually experimented some yesterday with one of the suggestions that Honda offered someone earlier in the thread. I isolated my key fob from my cell phone and the two keys that I keep on my Keychain. It appears to have made a difference in my garage. So it looks like I'll have to carry my keys separate from my cars's fob.

If this is what I have to do then it's what I have to do.. Its much more aggravating and embarrassing to have the doors not open for you when the tech is there and not working for you.

Last edited:

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX w/sensing, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
I had this exact same problem yesterday. I'm accustomed to leaving my keys in the car and just carrying the plastic remote with me. Went to walmart for groceries, walked up to the car and opened the trunk using the handle, put my groceries in, closed it, then walked up to the driver's door and to my surprise it did not unlock when I grabbed the handle. Tried the unlock button on the remote, nothing. Went to the passenger door, no luck. Tried all the buttons on the remote including lock, trunk, panic, nothing. The little red light on the remote was coming on, so no indication that the battery was low, but the car did not respond at all.

I walked around walmart for about 10 minutes and then tried again with the same results. Luckily my wife was home and drove across town with the other key, which did not work either. Used the physical key on that one to unlock the car, and the alarm started as soon as I opened the door. Once I pushed the Start button, everything was back to normal.

So unnerving! My wife also has a '16 Civic and told me that this happened to her once a couple months ago, but she had the physical key with her and didn't think much of it. Guess that's the last time I leave the car without the physical key!

Given that this problem only happened once with both of our cars in the past 2 years, I'm guessing will need to wait to see if it keeps happening before trying to get the BCM replaced?

Last edited:

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
After 3 years and 50K miles this just happened to me for the first time. Opened trunk to drop off some items and then tried the handle with no luck.

Used the actual key and got the alarm until I started the vehicle.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
After 3 years and 50K miles this just happened to me for the first time. Opened trunk to drop off some items and then tried the handle with no luck.

Used the actual key and got the alarm until I started the vehicle.
That sucks. I thought after 40,000 miles and almost 3 years, I was safe from possibly experiencing this! I guess not!

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That sucks. I thought after 40,000 miles and almost 3 years, I was safe from possibly experiencing this! I guess not!
I’m at 50,000 km and 3 years, and it has happened to me twice. I can live with that. Although I do find myself sometimes unlocking the doors before I open/close the trunk after shopping.

bignotsmall

First Name
Gerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex T 6 speed
Country flag
Well, mine happened after 2 years and 54k miles. I did drive a lot. I have a 2017 civic EX T 6 speed manual. After I lock the car or let it lock itself automatically , alarm would go on. When that happened , I couldn’t use the remote to stop it. I had to get the physical key to unlock the driver’s door. When I get inside , the digital dash would be all light up.
I had to disconnect the battery. Since I had the original battery for two years since I bought the car , I replaced the battery. That didn’t do much.
When I finally took it to the dealer, it took them a while to realize that the BCM ( body control module ) was the culprit. I saw a video on YouTube of someone who had the same issue as mine. So far , I’ve had 3 issues with my car , the occasional oil dilution, some AC noise and this.
Took them about 5 days to have the part delivered .They gave me a loaner . I was out of warranty , but they took care of me by calling corporate Honda.

Honda Civic 10th gen Had to use the actual key 7B97BAD2-644F-4907-9FA5-6DC9928D67BD

ITGRAD

Love my Civic!!!
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring and 2015 Lexus CT200h
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, this just happened to me after loading the ar up for a trip. As soon as I closed the trunk it beeped, all blinkers stayed on and now I can't get into my car, unlock the doors, get in the trunk or open the car doors with either of the physical keys that I have used before to roll the windows back up. Took a video of this stupid freakin issue.

BaltOsFan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
This happened to me for the second time yesterday, the first time only being a month ago. My key fob was in my pocket, went to put something in my trunk, opened it up put my bag in, closed it, started to go toward the driver's door, nothing worked. The 4 orange/yellow lights were all on, no buttons worked on the fob, the physical key didn't work, but fortunately the alarm wasn't going off. The only difference was that last time after about 45 minutes, the lights went off and my key fob worked. This time, well, it's up to about 14 hours since it happened and still can't get in.

Anyone find a solution or get Honda to admit there's a problem? It seems like this is happening to mostly 2016 models.
Sponsored