Glove box mods

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
The light from a 2019 should be an easy addition. You would only need the illumination wire and a ground and some solder.
Sponsored

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The light from a 2019 should be an easy addition. You would only need the illumination wire and a ground and some solder.
That may work too, it's just the online part catalogs that I search still doesn't have the 2019 Hatchback yet, and not sure if the Sedan and Coupe ones would fit... Have we confirmed the 2019 Hatchback has that?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am happy that my civic doesn't have a light in the glove box. The Malibu I had before had a stupid design error in the positioning of this light, so sometimes the switch would not turn off the light, causing dead battery and even burn the plastics around .... I had to remove the bulb before it caused a fire :confused:

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, that's an interesting insight, so the power source better be something turn off when the car is off, like the accessory, and perhaps something to sit between the switch and the box... Getting interesting

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
That may work too, it's just the online part catalogs that I search still doesn't have the 2019 Hatchback yet, and not sure if the Sedan and Coupe ones would fit... Have we confirmed the 2019 Hatchback has that?
I am really looking for that catalog too. Want to add the fan +/- controls and the larger cup holders. I suppose we will just have to be patient for now :/

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Hmm, that's an interesting insight, so the power source better be something turn off when the car is off, like the accessory, and perhaps something to sit between the switch and the box... Getting interesting
You just tap into the illumination circuit, the same power source that lights up the climate control. Finding that wire, well that would be tough but not impossible. FOr me it was easy cause my car came with the interior illumination kit installed.

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You just tap into the illumination circuit, the same power source that lights up the climate control. Finding that wire, well that would be tough but not impossible. FOr me it was easy cause my car came with the interior illumination kit installed.
Haha, shouldn't be hard for me, I have just installed the illumination kit and the door liner illumination kit (and the center console kit) lately, the door one light up when it's accessory mode or the car is on, and the other 2 is on with the headlights, so I guess I'll just tap the door one.

Looks like 2019 will have money to be spent :)

Last edited:

CyberCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I absolutely want a glovebox light. Should have been included since 2016. I have feeling around for the damn EZPass at night. Subscribed and waiting for a guide.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a UK spec 1.5T Sport and just fitted the red LED sill kit and footwell light kit. In the process I damaged the rear part of the glovebox that the damper is attached to. I have my own automotive business and so this job was an easy fit but the trim is very fragile. Here is the Honda WebEPC schematic...

Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 22.09.51.png
Great... it's the same part for 07-09 CR-V as well.
Haha, should be hard for me, I have just installed the illumination kit and the door liner illumination kit (and the center console kit) lately, the door one light up when it's accessory mode or the car is on, and the other 2 is on with the headlights, so I guess I'll just tap the door one.

Looks like 2019 will have money to be spent :)
I have installed the console and footwell illumination kits, and my door illumination kit just come in so I'll be doing the same as well while I'm doing the install of the door one.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea I understand it may not worth to make something not mean to be on the car works, but I think this is something the car is designed to have, at least for a different market, and I'd love to reach its potential :) While I'm searching on that light assembly, I see other Honda forums (like the Fit, CRV, and Accord) has similar projects too, after all it's about the fun of DIY.

The light assembly, seems like it's also used in the 07-09 CRV here in the states, so dealers should have the part. Then I've also look into the Connector and wires, and these 2 parts may work (would be great to have stephenmeadows confirm on this)
04321-SH2-307 and 04320-SP0-A00
Bad thing is they come in bundles, so ordering one for each part number will give us more then enough parts (Or spare parts for other projects ;) )
After getting all these, I can see the next step is to tap the wire to an accessory power source, find a good ground, get a nice T10 LED bulb, and call that good.
I just found these on google doing the glovebox light for the 8th gen civic. I'm sure that the glovebox light is the same, but with different mounting angles which leads to different part number. The connectors should be the same.
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods fbcfe14s-960

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 622fe14s-960

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 62fe14s-960

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just found these on google doing the glovebox light for the 8th gen civic. I'm sure that the glovebox light is the same, but with different mounting angles which leads to different part number. The connectors should be the same.
fbcfe14s-960.jpg

622fe14s-960.jpg

62fe14s-960.jpg
That's exactly the same picture where I knew about 04321 & 04320, just not sure how to use 04323

I may try and see if the dealer has the parts, and perhaps try it out sometime soon.

A side note to keep the fire up :) the other day I was wondering about this project and after knowing the 34254-SWA part number, I go back to my glove box, and put my finger into where the light assembly should be and feel around, and I did feel that part where we would put a screw in and secure the assembly, it is that close lol

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looking at the part catalog on 2019 civic in us, unlike those with a switch, it seems like the glovebox light is actually ambient light, which is pretty much the same like those in the footwell illuminating light.

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 334E7F06-CF13-438D-9EB5-59FBF03BAB01

Last edited:
OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could that be the same idea of installing the ambient kit? Drill holes on the panel behind the glove box and have that light on all the time ?
Doesn't sound like a way honda would do though...
I'm guessing (however it would work) it's for the Sedan and/or coupe models, since the ambient light assembly has a different shape as the 34254 parts, but who knows :)

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could that be the same idea of installing the ambient kit? Drill holes on the panel behind the glove box and have that light on all the time ?
Doesn't sound like a way honda would do though...
I'm guessing (however it would work) it's for the Sedan and/or coupe models, since the ambient light assembly has a different shape as the 34254 parts, but who knows :)
I can't find picture of 34760-TY2-A01, but I think it will look something like these. These are identical to the footwell light, which requires self taping screw to secure, but these are easier to install and remove but harder to fabricate the round shape with tabs.
Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods NL4I385

I'll go for 34254-SWA-003 with switch because it's maintenance friendly, you just need to replace the bulb.

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods 51-NlXCgtuL._SX425_

You have to replace 34760-TY2-A01 if the led in the assembly is done.

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove box mods NL4I385

OP
OP
yhkwok

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't find picture of 34760-TY2-A01, but I think it will look something like these. These are identical to the footwell light, which requires self taping screw to secure, but these are easier to install and remove but harder to fabricate the round shape with tabs.
NL4I385.jpg

I'll go for 34254-SWA-003 with switch because it's maintenance friendly, you just need to replace the bulb.

51-NlXCgtuL._SX425_.jpg

You have to replace 34760-TY2-A01 if the led in the assembly is done.
Yea, I think I'll go with this route, I've ordered 34254-SWA-003+04321...+04320 for this project. I can already see myself putting a LED T10 into 34254 :p

On the other hand, as a side project I'm thinking of extending my ambient kit (the foot well one) to the back seat, and trying to stick with Honda parts, I looked up the price for the light assembly in the kit for the FK7,
and that piece (08E10-TEA-DM001) cost $88 on Honda Parts Network (ouch...) no way I'm paying that much, but I've also found a 34760 piece from the similar kit for the 15' Civic Si, cost only $8 (SWEET!),
I'm hoping this Red (34760-TL0-G01) is the same Red as the kit for the FK7 Sport. Then the wiring part, I believe the 04320 bag I ordered should give me more than enough to create pigtails for this side project, the plug though, I have a hard time figuring out.
A super weird guess is that this 34760 type of light assembly is shared between brands, so like Mitsubishi or Toyota may have a part that has the exact same shape, but different part number, and so this plug made by Toyota (part number: 90980-11918) may actually work lol The source of this is found when I Google picture search about the 34760 piece, shows up in one of those Russian tutorials, With the help of Google translate this Toyota part number shows up and shown as a connector, so I picture search that and try to compare with some pictures of the 34760 port, looks really promising :)

So, I'm giving this a try, have ordered the parts, wish me luck~
Sponsored