Glove Box Light

Wrecks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Automatic & 2006 CR-V
Country flag
I just purchased an Civic LX Sedan today and while driving home my wife and I realized there was no glove box light. Has anybody come up with a way to add that to the vehicle?
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
None so far. But you only have a base model and paid $20k for it. I mean, there's no lock for the glove box either. The materials on the door like the silver trim and padded vinyl don't extend to the rear doors. Tons of inconsistencies to cut cost.

OP
OP

Wrecks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does a lighted glove box come with any of the trim levels? If it does, it seems like those parts might be used to add a light to the LX model.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I believe not. The materials do get better as you move up though. They start including lights for the vanity mirrors on EX and up. The rear doors get the silver painted plastic trim and padding with the leather models.

OP
OP

Wrecks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay, since it doesn't sound like there is an off the shelf solution I will probably pull 12V power from somewhere and use a small LED strip and a momentary switch to craft a solution. If it works well I will post my results here.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
None of the trims have a glovebox lock... or light... or opening dampener. No sunglasses holder, either... just a big always partially open vault of a center console.

OP
OP

Wrecks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm trying to figure out how to wire the power for a glove box light directly into the factory wiring harness. Any suggestions on where I could find the wiring diagram and the pinout for the factory connections? The OEM ambient light kit gets plugged into the 12-Pin connector for the A/C control unit and I'm wondering if I could rig up something similar (but without the power being connected to the dimmer).

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Easier solution than trying to wire something up. I have one in my Tacoma for the center console, but is a universal design. Held on my a magnetic mount and has a magnetic reed switch for the on/off. 20 bucks

http://www.flyzeye-designs.com/3VP.html

If I have a second I'll try to see if it looks like it would work on the Civic.

Last edited:

CosmicSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Easier solution than trying to wire something up. I have one in my Tacoma for the center console, but is a universal design. Held on my a magnetic mount and has a magnetic reed switch for the on/off. 20 bucks

http://www.flyzeye-designs.com/3VP.html

If I have a second I'll try to see if it looks like it would work on the Civic.
So, did you check this out? Would be very interested if it works.

fohidrift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Sensing
I dunno how to do any of that wiring stuff, so I kept it to this simple battery powered solution:
http://www.amazon.com/T-02-Anywhere...17294&sr=8-1&keywords=led+lights+strip+motion

It's a motion sensored LED light strip. Anytime you open up and reach into the glove box and there isn't a bunch of sun already shining on the glove box, it triggers the LED light to come on. There's a strip of 3M adhesive tape you can use to attach to the top of your glovebox if you wanted. I actually don't attach it so I can take it out of the glove box and use it as a flashlight if I needed to. Btw, the light is VERY bright.

I use this product in all my closets as well since I don't know how to set up any electrical wiring.

fohidrift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Sensing
@CosmicSilver absolutely! I've thought of using them even as footwell lighting but because it's motion-sensored, that wouldn't work well. But yes, for the glovebox and for the trunk, this light can be a great alternative for any car really.

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
So, did you check this out? Would be very interested if it works.
I completely forgot about this thread.

Looks like the FLYZEYE unit would be a perfect wireless led solution. You'd need to pull the inner cover off to mount the magnet for the Reed switch but it looks like it'd work great.

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove Box Light 20160320_160516

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove Box Light 20160320_160531

Honda Civic 10th gen Glove Box Light 20160320_160552