Jwc413

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Hey guys I just got my car inspected today and live in Massachusetts. I failed emissions for reprogramming my ecu. I have prl intake prl intercooler and charge pipes, hks catback exhaust, and phearable stage 2 tune. Now I have to schedule an appt for a motorist assistance center to look at my car. Just a heads up for anyone living in Massachusetts and and want to tune your car youre going to go through some bs for inspection
Sponsored

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Did uou tell em you werr tuned?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
In Maryland, I passed with my tune on. It passed visual and the OBD-II test came back perfect.

The tune itself shouldn't have caused a fail. I mean all you're running is a tune, intercooler and exhaust. What exactly did they say caused them to fail you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwc413

Jwc413

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I didn’t tell them I was tuned until after I failed. None of the sensors are disabled so I thought I would be fine. The inspector was confused he said he never seen anything like that and asked if I messed with my ecu. I told him it’s tuned and he said that must be why I failed .
Honda Civic 10th gen Failed inspection for having a tune 41A80449-DC26-4FF8-A140-F21A261F5C2C
Honda Civic 10th gen Failed inspection for having a tune BDA144B1-15A9-44F8-A199-1FCD19F29E1F

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
I probably just don’t know enough about what an overall “PASS” inspection should look like, but I don’t see anything in the OBD results that would result in an inspection failure. What had the tech not seen before? Are there results missing that should be there? Should the “UNSUPPORTED “ or “READY” results be reporting “PASS” instead of their current result?

I’m in no position to offer support I’m afraid; I’m just trying to understand what makes it a failure.

Couldn’t you just flash the stock tune back onto the car for inspection?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They say it failed emissions yet I don't see anything on that sheet to indicate why.

Not sure exactly what "catalyst unsupported" means. Something seems weird here. Were they assuming you were running catless?

In Maryland (which I think is similar to MA) you have to pass a visual. You did. You can't have a check engine light. You didn't. And the OBD-II test numbers have to be within parameters. A proper tune with the cat in place should pass yet they claim you failed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwc413

Jwc413

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
He said it should’ve passed that’s why he was confused. He was waiting for a passing sticker to print out and then a Failed printed out. Even if I flashed back to stock tune it wouldn’t change anything I would still fail. Everything is working like it should. Catalyst unsupported and all the other unsupported doesn’t apply to my car so nothing is out of the ordinary on that paper. The inspector was cool and really liked my car and hated that he had to fail it. It was just out of his hands said he never had to fail a car with 3000 miles in his life lol He said his guess is they’re gonna check out my car see everything is good and working fine and then I’ll be on my way it’s just a hassle. Im still waiting for them to call me back to make an appointment

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This is a big red flag. Does your Phearable tune disable the secondary O2 sensor?

Honda Civic 10th gen Failed inspection for having a tune Screenshot.PNG

OP
OP
Jwc413

Jwc413

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
No ox
This is a big red flag. Does your Phearable tune disable the secondary O2 sensor?

Screenshot.PNG
No oxygen sensors are ready. That catalyst doesn’t apply to my car. If I find my old inspection from last year when I passed my car was all stock it will say unsupported for that.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
On our '12 Si Catalyst MUST be READY (Our Si also shows a PASS for Scan tool Check, not sure what your N/A means). Hopefully a Bay Stater with a '16 or newer will chime in. Not that it matters but all parts must be CARB approved - that would have to be a visual rejection - that may "bite you" if you have to go through an inspection by a referee.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No ox

No oxygen sensors are ready. That catalyst doesn’t apply to my car. If I find my old inspection from last year when I passed my car was all stock it will say unsupported for that.
All modern OBD2 cars need catalyst readiness to pass emissions, this is the second sensor for post cat which your print out lists "unsupported", which leads me to guess your Phearable tune has it turned off for the infamous P0420 code.

Your Oxygen Sensor/Heater is your primary/pre cat sensor which shows "ready" in your print out.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
... which leads me to guess your Phearable tune has it turned off for the infamous P0420 code.
I don't know man. Why would an OTS tune to come out of the box with that disabled? That's usually something the user can disable on their own if need be. The OP isn't even running a downpipe.

OP
OP
Jwc413

Jwc413

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
You think it would be better to go back on stock tune before I get it retested? I don’t know why that sensor would be disabled when I have stock cat. I only changed the cat back. And I put all my info in when I bought the tune. The inspector said everything looked good like it was supposed to pass

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Tune has to be CARB approved too, tmk only Hondata sells such and I believe even the tuner (hardware) is unique.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't know man. Why would an OTS tune to come out of the box with that disabled? That's usually something the user can disable on their own if need be. The OP isn't even running a downpipe.
It's just a guess since the print out is pretty much saying there is no post cat oxygen sensor. Not sure how the Phearable stage 2 tune is set up on if it's editable or locked.

You think it would be better to go back on stock tune before I get it retested? I don’t know why that sensor would be disabled when I have stock cat. I only changed the cat back. And I put all my info in when I bought the tune. The inspector said everything looked good like it was supposed to pass
I would say it's worth a try, or contact Phearable and see if they have any ideas.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.