OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Luck you. Simple repair. Did you do the oil change yourself?

So I crawled down there yesterday to take a look. Looks like they sprayed it with CRC aerosol leak detector. This is after 400 miles:
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover nPHmX9D

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover xz7Gf3D

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
I had the same problem when I had my civic sport since new. It’s the rear main seal. Mine was a lot worse than yours. My dipstick barely change after 7000 miles, and I know dealers are going to give me BS about it. Plus I don’t really want any shop to touch my vehicles. So I just drive it and monitor oil level closely. And I planned to replace the seal together with the clutch when needed. Nothing really progressed after 60k miles driving before I wreck it and bought my FK8.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
@9000RPM mine leaks maybe 1 ounce every 2k miles. I’m going to have my oil pan out for swapping in a baffled one hopefully within the next 2 weeks, so I should get some good pictures.

I’m convinced it’s the oil/air separator gasket. Rear main seal leak I would have been able to see with my snake camera…

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Not sure if this was mentioned yet but did you check your valve cover gasket on the side of the intake manifold? They are notorious for leaking and oil can find its way towards the bottom of the engine.

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Not sure if this was mentioned yet but did you check your valve cover gasket on the side of the intake manifold? They are notorious for leaking and oil can find its way towards the bottom of the engine.
Yes, checked. Cover is dry. It wouldn't leak into the inside of the black cover if it was leaking from the valve cover. Plus, I'm sure dealership would've taken care of it since it's such a gravy warranty job.

@9000RPM mine leaks maybe 1 ounce every 2k miles. I’m going to have my oil pan out for swapping in a baffled one hopefully within the next 2 weeks, so I should get some good pictures.

I’m convinced it’s the oil/air separator gasket. Rear main seal leak I would have been able to see with my snake camera…
Yea, it sucks that it's trickling right now. My photo shows nothing from the air/oil separator. Plus, the slow leak is from opposite end of the air/oil separator.

Service paper never said when to bring it back to them so I'll probably wait after 1,500-2,000 miles and take it back to them. They'll probably claim no leak or it's normal to seep a little bit of oil or some other spiel. This will probably be my last visit to any Honda service department. Planning on modding towards the end of this year.

Would love to see those photos

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Just to give an update. I drove it to the dealership after putting on about 1,200 miles on it since they put in the leak dye back in end of June.

Service manager told me it's the rear main seal. It's leaking a little bit but advised to just get it taken care of since it's under warranty.

He and I both agreed that warranty pay isn't the best but I'm glad he's honest about it. Any dealership could always say they found no leaks and that would be end of it (aka my purchasing dealership I took it to back in 2019 during its first oil change).

They've ordered the part and I will be dropping it off next week to get it serviced.

Learn2turn:)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8, 2005 S2000, 1995 Miata
Country flag
Just to give an update. I drove it to the dealership after putting on about 1,200 miles on it since they put in the leak dye back in end of June.

Service manager told me it's the rear main seal. It's leaking a little bit but advised to just get it taken care of since it's under warranty.

He and I both agreed that warranty pay isn't the best but I'm glad he's honest about it. Any dealership could always say they found no leaks and that would be end of it (aka my purchasing dealership I took it to back in 2019 during its first oil change).

They've ordered the part and I will be dropping it off next week to get it serviced.
I am curious...
Have you considered paying a little of your own money to them and getting the clutch replaced at the same time?

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
I am curious...
Have you considered paying a little of your own money to them and getting the clutch replaced at the same time?
No,

Stock clutch is fine for now. Not doing any crazy mods that would warrant an upgraded clutch.

I will tackle this job myself in the future if required.

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Got my car back tonight. Items on the ticket includes:
  • 1X 91214-5A2-A01 OIL SEAL
  • 2X 08718-0009 ULTRA FLANGE SEALANT II
  • 1X OL999-9011 COOLANT (TYPE-2)
  • 3X 08798-9031 FLUID, MT
Note on the bottom:
"TECH FOUND LEAK FROM REAR MAIN SEAL - TECH TOOK TRANS DOWN, REPLACED SEAL, RESEALED CRADLE AND OIL PAN"

I'll report back in March, 2022 during its 4th annual oil change.

croozer2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I’m am in the same boat looking for advice from you guys. I have a 1.5 L turbo 2017 hatch. I have a warranty until 2025. The oil leak so far seems to be just a touch of oil that is tacky. The tacky in my head would mean it’s probably old oil so a very slow leak. The leak is in that same location inspection cover. I see no oil on the splash guard or anywhere else. I have been cleaning the same spot every oil change. I’m wondering would a shop most likely break more things then actually fixing things if I had them check and fix that seal?

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I’m am in the same boat looking for advice from you guys. I have a 1.5 L turbo 2017 hatch. I have a warranty until 2025. The oil leak so far seems to be just a touch of oil that is tacky. The tacky in my head would mean it’s probably old oil so a very slow leak. The leak is in that same location inspection cover. I see no oil on the splash guard or anywhere else. I have been cleaning the same spot every oil change. I’m wondering would a shop most likely break more things then actually fixing things if I had them check and fix that seal?
Me too. VERY tiny amount noted when the DP was installed. Nothing concerning. Oil level (on dip stick) hasn't changed. I did bring it to Honda a few months ago and they didn't find the leak.

OP
OP
9000RPM

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
It depends on the tech working on it. Although it seems like the tech fixed the leak on my car, I won't be able to verify until March/April when I crawl down there to do its annual oil change.

A couple of nights ago, while doing an visual inspection, I noticed that the tech didn't install the front pipe exhaust hanger correctly:
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil leak from black inspection cover IE7sog7

You say you have warranty until 2025 but your profile says you have a 2017 model year. Is this through an extended warranty?

Also, the lot people took my car out on a joyride and drove the piss out of it on local roads. I sent the video to the service manager with a very lenghty email about that idiot.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
It depends on the tech working on it. Although it seems like the tech fixed the leak on my car, I won't be able to verify until March/April when I crawl down there to do its annual oil change.

A couple of nights ago, while doing an visual inspection, I noticed that the tech didn't install the front pipe exhaust hanger correctly:
IE7sog7.jpg

You say you have warranty until 2025 but your profile says you have a 2017 model year. Is this through an extended warranty?

Also, the lot people took my car out on a joyride and drove the piss out of it on local roads. I sent the video to the service manager with a very lenghty email about that idiot.
this is why i dont use dealers. i rather pay out of pocket or diy myself. havent used a dealer for service or warranty repair since 2006.
had a new 2006 mazdaspeed6 that was in for warranty work for the transfer case leaking. the tech got in an accident from "exhibition of speed" as the police report showed. mazda kindly put me in another new speed6 and free service for the next 3 years.
So i never used dealers for service again.

i can only imagine a type R coming in for service would most likely have a joyride done. camera up!