Cracked Windshield - Is this a major issue??

Texancivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I am seeing some threads about the Windshields getting damaged fairly easily.....anybody know any info on this??
I have a little over 10k on my car now and now have about a 10" crack on the lower passenger side of the windshield, just next to the A-Piller. I really can't see where the windshield was struck. To me, honestly, it almost looks like a stress crack.
Based on pics provided from other owners I am starting to think that this an issue with the OEM windshields. Which does cause some great concern due to the fact that these windshields are not cheap to replace.
I have noticed that several drivers have provided pics with damage in the same areas as mine.
Sponsored

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
I am seeing some threads about the Windshields getting damaged fairly easily.....anybody know any info on this??
I have a little over 10k on my car now and now have about a 10" crack on the lower passenger side of the windshield, just next to the A-Piller. I really can't see where the windshield was struck. To me, honestly, it almost looks like a stress crack.
Based on pics provided from other owners I am starting to think that this an issue with the OEM windshields. Which does cause some great concern due to the fact that these windshields are not cheap to replace.
I have noticed that several drivers have provided pics with damage in the same areas as mine.
Maybe an issue. Just had my windshield replaced due a 10" inch crack in the same place. But then I was able to see the "impact" point on the far left although it was VERY tiny and am uncertain that this would have happened on my other cars.
Glad I have a good insurance plan as it was a no cost replacement that would have cost me $500 if I didn't have it.

OP
OP
Texancivic

Texancivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Maybe an issue. Just had my windshield replaced due a 10" inch crack in the same place. But then I was able to see the "impact" point on the far left although it was VERY tiny and am uncertain that this would have happened on my other cars.
Glad I have a good insurance plan as it was a no cost replacement that would have cost me $500 if I didn't have it.
I have owned several cars, as everybody has, and really have never had an issue with windshields. Come to think of it, I don't think I have EVER had to replace a windshield. So this is extremely frustrating! I do love that car and this "imperfection" is driving me crazy.

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
Count yourself lucky - I had to replace a windshield on an Audi and a BMW. So far, not on my '16 Honda.

BMW's have been know to have "soft" glass"

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
I have owned several cars, as everybody has, and really have never had an issue with windshields. Come to think of it, I don't think I have EVER had to replace a windshield. So this is extremely frustrating! I do love that car and this "imperfection" is driving me crazy.
I'm 65 years old and in my lifetime with cars this is the 3rd windshield that I've had replaced. So with almost 50 years of driving that's probably pretty good.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Windshield cracks degrade the safety of a vehicles quite a lot in the event of a front end crash. I'd replace it asap IMO.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Windshield cracks degrade the safety of a vehicles quite a lot in the event of a front end crash. I'd replace it asap IMO.
And the impact point might be visible once the glass has been removed.. On my 13 accord i had exactly what you explained but from the top.. I was literally driving and suddenly it looked like it was raining on one spot of my windshield..(wish i recorded it.. Looked awesome.. Anyways it was the crack coming down.. Once i got home there was no impact point to he seen.. Once removed you could see the impact was somewere on the weather stripping/edge of the glass..

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Got a rock chip in mine, it cracked the next day.

Safelite is getting me squared away for $350. I wouldn't spend the $900 for the OEM windshield.

Replace it and move on.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
Got a rock chip in mine, it cracked the next day.

Safelite is getting me squared away for $350. I wouldn't spend the $900 for the OEM windshield.

Replace it and move on.

Just so everyone knows,

A huge rock the size of a baseball smashed through my windshield at 70mph on Monday, guy in RV in front of me must not have checked under his supports after leaving his pad.

Went to safelite and got the entire windshield replaced for 500 after ridiculous Missouri tax.

The glass is exactly the same manufacturer as the OEM glass after looking at the logo on lower driver side, not worth it to pay the 850 I was quoted for the OEM stuff.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
Can non-oem glass work for vehicles with Honda sensing?

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
If I get a chip or cracked on my windshield I'm not going to replace it unless it leaks.

I don't believe there is much if a difference between safelite and OEM except the logo. If you have to have OEM that's fine but I don't believe there is any added value other than a logo over safelite
Thats the thing. I checked the logo. It's the same company that makes the OEM glass for honda. So its the same glass, just doesn't say Honda on it.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
They ask if you have sensing when you schedule your appointment and order the correct glass for it if there is a difference.

I'm not familiar with the difference, I just know that they asked if I had it.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Avoid budget glass. Unless you dont mind running the risk of having distortions in the windshield. No glass is perfect but the cheaper glass tends to have more imperfections.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield - Is this a major issue?? 9D1403A3-A3F5-4A96-99B1-2A6530A3B3A5
Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield - Is this a major issue?? 6C4205BB-1927-4DA4-83D5-FA03E1836826
Thats the thing. I checked the logo. It's the same company that makes the OEM glass for honda. So its the same glass, just doesn't say Honda on it.
Glass I got from safelite compared to other glass on car. Both made by AGC Automotive. Just for reference. Only difference is the Honda logo. Not sure if other suppliers supply glass for the civic as it seems the tiny windows in the back on my coupe are made by a different company.

blacked_out_civicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
I was told by Safelite that non-OEM glass will not work with sensing. I got an OEM replacement on their advice.

My experience with the Honda glass is that it is very fragile, i had 3 rock strikes and all caused damage; the final one couldn't be fixed to my liking by the usual fill-the-crack method.
Sponsored