Civic Si 192 LB-FT Torque revealed by Honda email

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree and disagree. Yes we all hoped for that bad ass si that was balls to the walls crazy. But if we're honest here the ext engine as it is is better then the 2015 si out the box. Yes it sucks that it's not that much upgradeable which I still think when people tune their si they are going to get 250 HP and 230 torque plus. But this si is going to destroy the si of what we knew minus adding a turbo to the 2.4. I personally wish I could afford one but with the new 10 speed automatic that Honda is in the process of building right now in the USA. With paddle shifters of course. So for me I have to stick with my ext and it's CVT which is the best ever CVT I have ever drove. But can't wait for a few years when lease is up and 10 speed automatic will probably be available on a sport model that I will be able to afford like sport touring okay sorry for the ramble ha

And I say afford because that si insurance going to be high and that premium fuel and all will ad up.
Our '12 Si insurance is now up to $316/year for full coverage with 3k/.3k deductible (since new). When new in 2012 it was $239/year. I don't consider either to be high - and we have run 87 octane since new.
Sponsored

mPlasticDesign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BRZ, 2011bmwM3, 2011 1M Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad I got my Sport Civic Hatchback!!!!!
I would have liked the availability of an Si option in the HB but I also think Honda knows it could cannibalize the Type R sales because of the huge price difference. I prefer the HB and with the ProFlash +6 and suspension I can live with that. Also my HB Sport was only $21,500....that's a performance bargain IMO.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I read somewhere that the turbo is sourced from Mitsubishi and that on a 1.5 liter engine it is capable of pulling 240 hp. I doubt Honda would go to it's limit if that's the case. If true, 220 hp is achievable reliably.
This is my thought as well. They could in theory rework the turbo without raising torque, and up the boost in the mid-to-upper RPMs as peak torque begins to drop. Keeping torque a bit lower is good for rods. But I'm willing to bet that TD03 will be close to maxed out.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hyundai Elantra sport 2017= 201hp 195 lb ft torque vs Civic SI 2017= Unknown hp 192 lb ft torque (less than elantra).

So,

Elantra sport 2017
  • More torque
  • More elegant (not boy racer look like si)
  • Probably faster
  • cheaper
  • better warranty package
  • Four door (unlike SI)
  • DCT and manual option (DCT is much faster than manual and SI doesnt have a DCT option)
  • Bigger infotainment screen
  • Better reliability based off consumer reports (honda civic got averaging worst in class)
Why buy a SI lol?
lmfao... did you really just say to buy a Hyundai over a Honda? bwahahahahahahahaha:cry::lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::slap:

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The biggest reason to get this over a non-Si is the LSD and suspension. Those things alone are well worth the price upcharge from a non-Si model. I would be perfectly fine if Honda officially states power at only 200 hp, we'll know it'll be under-rated.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Don't forget the better bolstering either.

The adjustable damping definitely has me intrigued. It was a huge seller for me on the GTI.

ACG12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
lmfao... did you really just say to buy a Hyundai over a Honda? bwahahahahahahahaha:cry::lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::slap:
Hyundai has stepped their game, they no longer make a car that was an embarrassment like their 90s offerings. The Elantra Sport is just the beginning, wait for their N Performance models to come out.

If they can get their mpg on par with Honda, they would have a home run with their current offerings.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Well, there appears to be at least some interest here... Ya know, with people posting about it and planning to buy it and all. :)

Agreed though, with your second point. I think it just got overshadowed by the first-ever USDM CTR release; that's kind of a really big deal, so I think maybe the lack of Si-related "hype" from Honda this year could be explained by the fact that it is suddenly no longer the raciest stock Civic in the US...
(I obviously also wish they had more info coming out sooner, but just trying to make sense of why they didn't)
Yeah we are all keyboard warriors though. I have been to the dealer a few times and sat in and drove the regular civic 1.5T and tbh It kinda feels like cheap POS. Like do I buy a brand new 201hp Si, or for the same money a 2yr old Infiniti Q50 with 328hp is what it comes down to. I do like the idea of the Si, but its going to have to be pretty impressive once it finally arrives.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe they lowered the torque so they wouldn't burn up the transmission.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hyundai has stepped their game, they no longer make a car that was an embarrassment like their 90s offerings. The Elantra Sport is just the beginning, wait for their N Performance models to come out.
I'm sorry, I just cannot justify buying a car and spending my hard earned money on something that is about half the value after purchasing it... I know the finance manger at a Hyundai dealership and the new G90 has ALREADY about $15k in rebates/discounts... that tells you their cars still hold zero value... to me, that's a loser by itself...

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hyundai Elantra sport 2017= 201hp 195 lb ft torque vs Civic SI 2017= Unknown hp 192 lb ft torque (less than elantra).

So,

Elantra sport 2017
  • More torque
  • More elegant (not boy racer look like si)
  • Probably faster
  • cheaper
  • better warranty package
  • Four door (unlike SI)
  • DCT and manual option (DCT is much faster than manual and SI doesnt have a DCT option)
  • Bigger infotainment screen
  • Better reliability based off consumer reports (honda civic got averaging worst in class)
Why buy a SI lol?
Please reread the C/R 2017 Auto Issue.
The Hyundai review and reliability reports imply an enthusiast will not be happy, especially over time.
The '16 Civic was darn near "perfect", except for the entertainment system.
Our '12 Si Sedan has "aged" very well - as have all Civics evaluated.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR

So,

Elantra sport 2017
  • More torque
Why buy a SI lol?
Not exactly the big picture, is it?

But since you're buying a car based on paper specs, let us know how that +3lb-ft and +200lbs curb weight factors out in the real world...

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well this is annoying. I'm signed up under 2 different email addresses and didn't get anything. :what: