Civic Si 192 LB-FT Torque revealed by Honda email

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Dammit I never get these emails from them... :(

Thanks for sharing! Should be a solid bump compared to my TSX's 166...
Sponsored

Last edited:

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Is my comparison stupid? lol. Can we compare it to the 2014 civic si? 205hp with 174lb ft torque. That's 31 pt difference so could we say that the 2017 SI will have 223 hp since it has 192lb of torque?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The powerband relationship is different with Turbo DI powertrains. Torque on the 1.5T peaks much earlier than on the K Series. At least with the factory tunes we've seen on the 1.5T so far.

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
Is my comparison stupid? lol. Can we compare it to the 2014 civic si? 205hp with 174lb ft torque. That's 31 pt difference so could we say that the 2017 SI will have 223 hp since it has 192lb of torque?
Very different engines in these cars...Obviously anything is possible, but the split between hp/tq on the turbo 1.5's seem to be a lot closer than on the older cars

IIRC the Civic Sport with the 6MT is already making more torque than the old Si? But with only 180hp...that suggests to me that it's likely you wont see quite as big a gap between hp and tq on the new car...that's as GOOD thing for performance...but maybe not such a good thing if you're looking for a big hp figure...

My HOPE was for a 230/205 split...with 220/200 as my more realistic guess...I'm holding out hope for that 220# but I don't see it...

Edit: wait! doesn't Europe have a 1.5T with vtec that makes 201bhp and 260nm of torque?

For the record, 260nm = 191.77ft-lbs

THATS your USDM Si motor folks...They might massage a few extra hp out of it so they don't have to explain why he new Si makes less hp than the old one (201 vs 205)...but don't be shocked if they announce an Si with 201/192 at the NYIAS

Last edited:

OP
OP
Rickyg0731

Rickyg0731

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 honda accord
Very different engines in these cars...Obviously anything is possible, but the split between hp/tq on the turbo 1.5's seem to be a lot closer than on the older cars

IIRC the Civic Sport with the 6MT is already making more torque than the old Si? But with only 180hp...that suggests to me that it's likely you wont see quite as big a gap between hp and tq on the new car...that's as GOOD thing for performance...but maybe not such a good thing if you're looking for a big hp figure...

My HOPE was for a 230/205 split...with 220/200 as my more realistic guess...I'm holding out hope for that 220# but I don't see it...

Edit: wait! doesn't Europe have a 1.5T with vtec that makes 201bhp and 260nm of torque?

THATS your USDM Si motor folks...They might massage a few extra hp out of it so they don't have to explain why he new Si makes less hp than the old one (201 vs 205)...but don't be shocked if they announce an Si with 201/192 at the NYIAS
Your argument on the European 1.5T is very strong, we could definitely see 201/192 output number for the SI, however Honda stated "This is going to be the most powerful Civic SI yet", so by that point im hoping for at least 210hp, but im certain its not going to be much more than that

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This all just gets me more excited either way. I mean the car isn't going to be a slouch at any rate. Sometimes I think some of us get too stuck up on the numbers and not how the car will actually perform behind the wheel. If the current 10th gen model is faster than the 9th gen SI, the 10th SI is going to be a blast to drive. I mean I can only get to 0-60 so fast. The fun factor of handling and the looks is more important to me than an inflated HP number.

Your argument on the European 1.5T is very strong, we could definitely see 201/192 output number for the SI, however Honda stated "This is going to be the most powerful Civic SI yet", so by that point im hoping for at least 210hp, but im certain its not going to be much more than that

OP
OP
Rickyg0731

Rickyg0731

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 honda accord
This all just gets me more excited either way. I mean the car isn't going to be a slouch at any rate. Sometimes I think some of us get too stuck up on the numbers and not how the car will actually perform behind the wheel. If the current 10th gen model is faster than the 9th gen SI, the 10th SI is going to be a blast to drive. I mean I can only get to 0-60 so fast. The fun factor of handling and the looks is more important to me than an inflated HP number.
Agree 100% with you sir, maybe I really need to stop dwelling on numbers so much and wait to actually drive the car, im going to hopefully get the car regardless

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm definitely going to try and purchase it as well. I have a '14 SI tuned by Vit and the car is so much better to drive. I can only imagine the possibilities with the new engine and Vit's tune judging by what he's been saying about his test cars. The potential on this car is great IMO.

Agree 100% with you sir, maybe I really need to stop dwelling on numbers so much and wait to actually drive the car, im going to hopefully get the car regardless

OP
OP
Rickyg0731

Rickyg0731

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 honda accord
I'm definitely going to try and purchase it as well. I have a '14 SI tuned by Vit and the car is so much better to drive. I can only imagine the possibilities with the new engine and Vit's tune judging by what he's been saying about his test cars. The potential on this car is great IMO.
Im impressed that you are intrested in the new engine coming from a Kseries, I thought people didnt like the 1.5 as an upgrade from the k24, specially when you have a tune and and everything, makes me feel better about my choice on the new SI

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't scare me and make me think twice on the new SI lol. My wife has the 10th sedan and its very nice. I love my car but the new Si just looks sick to me. You don't think I'm downgrading do you? haha

Im impressed that you are intrested in the new engine coming from a Kseries, I thought people didnt like the 1.5 as an upgrade from the k24, specially when you have a tune and and everything, makes me feel better about my choice on the new SI

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
Plus the visual and suspension upgrades...Yeah, seems it..The question becomes, where did Honda find the power? Is it an upgraded turbo? Did they simply give it a more aggressive tune?

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
I said 215hp MAX from the start. Don't expect anything more than that out of this Si. The 1.5t can only do so much. Want more power the Type R is available.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

I think those details were from the initial release of the powertrains which described the range of motors 1.5 years ago. I don't think Europe has received the uprated 1.5T either:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/europ...201-bhp-vs-174bhp-american-in-2016-civic.564/

Also, I think Europe gets a slight bump in advertised power due to testing methodology (see: CTR comparison). The true measured USDM output is closer to the CRV's 1.5T. So the reported 192 TQ in the USDM Si should net 203 HP at minimum.

I am thinking they may tweak compression and boost to wring an extra few ponies without compromising long term reliability. The result could be little change to the torque curve but a bit more HP from 3.5K-5.5K. If true, we could see more tweaks in the hard parts over the base 1.5T. Namely the turbo and IC.

My 2 cents...
Sponsored

Last edited: