CaptClutch Street/Track journey & build thread - Modifications, lap times, pictures and videos

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I wasn't quite clear enough with my explanation, apologies. By initial bite, I meant cold bite. The P3 compound being a hybrid street/track compound won't need much heat to get into its peak friction zone, compared to the R5 which needs some heat in it to work most effectively. When you couple a pad with a lower temp range on a significantly larger rotor it shifts bias to the rear a lot. Balancing bias with compounds can be tricky because the Mu (friction) of the pad will change as temperature rises so bias favor can bounce from one axle to the other as temps change.

When a car has rear favored bias the rear end will feel unsteady during braking. When a car has front favored bias the car will feel almost like it's understeering during braking, because it's sliding in a straight line. Front bias is pretty much always preferred for this reason. FWIW, I am not aware of any sport compact that uses rear rotors as large as 350mm, most are in the 280-300mm range. The only cars with very large rear brakes that come to mind are some Porsches and that's because of their weight distribution (heavily skewed to the rear).

I certainly hope to make it out there one day! I'll be out at PPIR in CO in two weeks but that's about as far as I go right now, the 20+ hour trip each way is rough haha.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CaptClutch

CaptClutch

First Name
Jaren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '12 Toyota Tundra, '98 Civic LX
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification!

Far as the upsized rear rotors I figured I would try them out and see if they made a difference and at my level I haven't really noticed much outside of lower rotor temps post session. I'll need to replace these and may go back to the normal size, I haven't decided as of yet.

I'll be trying to class my car into TT4 and need to read up on the rules and see if there are any that would effectively make the decision for me.

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
GREAT write up. I think you will def be happy with the paragon bbk, been running it all season this year with very successful results. no more caliper failure uneven pad wear etc.

OP
OP
CaptClutch

CaptClutch

First Name
Jaren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In regards to the shave of the Paragon big brake kit on the Enduro car I helped with - Paragon reached out and let me know they weren't running the mass production version, which is thinner, and hence why they had to do that tiny bit of shaving.

Wanted to post this update in case anyone else is in the market for a BBK.

Also need to post an update with some of the changes I've done to the car in recent weeks just been busy, soon to come!

OP
OP
CaptClutch

CaptClutch

First Name
Jaren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Been a while since I've posted mostly because it's been winter and the CTR has sat in storage. Pulled it out to hit up the first NASA Utah event running the outer track.

The weather was trying on Friday practice going from snow to rain to glimpse of sunshine and cycling through each most of the day. With the cooler temperatures and lots of driving the track did get to a pretty good place and I was able to best my outer track time, from a 2:15 to a 2:14

Saturday rolled around and we had more sunshine but cold as shit and windy. Similar to Friday the track got better as the day went on. I ended up beating my previous days time in the final session! 2:14 to 2:13. As noted in the video description I had multiple mistakes on the lap and I think with those cleaned up I could easily get to the 2:11 range

The weather on Sunday was even worse and they had to cancel the event entirely, first time I've seen that happen in my 3 years of tracking the car. I wasn't even driving this day but had a friend there making his debut appearance in his C8 Corvette :( Bummer but he got credited for a future event.

Last edited:

OP
OP
CaptClutch

CaptClutch

First Name
Jaren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Short weekend out at the track as I didn't get to make Friday practice. Still managed a new personal best around the East track at Utah Motorsports Campus. Feeling like I'm driving at the limit of my tires, may be time to try out some slicks or lower treadwear.

OP
OP
CaptClutch

CaptClutch

First Name
Jaren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another short weekend/one-off track day. Back in March they had to cancel the third day of the event due to weather so this was a make up 1 day event. Good news is I managed to shave 0.45 seconds off my lap time! Watching the delta most of the time comes in the final 3 corners which just tells me I have room for improvement in the first half of the track.

Considering putting my car into TT4 as I think its mostly in compliance already, just need to get it dyno'd and fill out some paperwork. Depending on the dyno I may be able to jump up to a 275 wide tire (versus the 265 I run now) which will, in theory, make for some even faster laps.

Anyway I'm trying out a new video format, let me know what you think!
Sponsored