Autocross STH Class thread!

cck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic sedan sport
Country flag
Is there any consensus on springs for cars running without coilovers? Swift and whiteline seem to be the most popular from what I've picked up. Most others seem more for show than performance, too low, too soft. Thinking of getting the whitelines but I've seen a couple reviews noting that there isn't much preload, if any, on the fronts at full droop. Anyone have issues with them moving out of position on the spring seat during autocross?
Sponsored

Dom360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si coupe
Country flag
Is there any consensus on springs for cars running without coilovers? Swift and whiteline seem to be the most popular from what I've picked up. Most others seem more for show than performance, too low, too soft. Thinking of getting the whitelines but I've seen a couple reviews noting that there isn't much preload, if any, on the fronts at full droop. Anyone have issues with them moving out of position on the spring seat during autocross?
I was recommended swifts so I went with them. They are tuned specifically for the car which is good. My first race is Saturday I’ll be able to offer feedback next week

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eibach prokit has done well for me in autox and lapping. Fairly street comfortable too. Paired with a rear sway bar, the car is predictable and flat in corners

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’m on Whitelines. Originally was going to go Swift but with the fitment / set up I wanted, I’d be rubbing crazy.

No reported issues with the Whitelines after 4 events.

cck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic sedan sport
Country flag
I’m on Whitelines. Originally was going to go Swift but with the fitment / set up I wanted, I’d be rubbing crazy.

No reported issues with the Whitelines after 4 events.
Thanks for the feedback. Tire rub is my concern with the Swift's. I'm not looking to lower the car a lot, it's still a daily driver and don't want to deal with tire rub on bumpy roads or at events. Whitelines seem to keep the car closest to stock height while stiffening it up.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. Tire rub is my concern with the Swift's. I'm not looking to lower the car a lot, it's still a daily driver and don't want to deal with tire rub on bumpy roads or at events. Whitelines seem to keep the car closest to stock height while stiffening it up.
That's my research as well, not getting springs until at least next year as it's my daily and there are other mods I can do in the meantime to improve performance. I'm also not sure if I'll do bilstein performance struts and whitelines or splurge another 5-800$ and go for coilovers.

Dom360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si coupe
Country flag
While I was installing Hasport motor mounts this weekend I had this thought, why is the anti lift kit considered illegal/grey area but motor mounts aren’t? Is it not literally solid bushings in a fancy piece of metal that bolts up in the same place?
I think the confusion comes from people saying you cannot have camber plates and lower control arms with the adjustable ball joints

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I was in the same boat as you, which is why I went with Whiteline. -0.8 is a mild drop but does wonders on the eyes.

Depending on the set up, you might rub a bit on hard dips. I recommend to pull the strut pins.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
While I was installing Hasport motor mounts this weekend I had this thought, why is the anti lift kit considered illegal/grey area but motor mounts aren’t? Is it not literally solid bushings in a fancy piece of metal that bolts up in the same place?
I think the confusion comes from people saying you cannot have camber plates and lower control arms with the adjustable ball joints
Because the anti lift kit alters the caster angle, where the motor mounts don't change any suspension angle.

cck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic sedan sport
Country flag
I was in the same boat as you, which is why I went with Whiteline. -0.8 is a mild drop but does wonders on the eyes.

Depending on the set up, you might rub a bit on hard dips. I recommend to pull the strut pins.
Already done, car has been run in street class the last 2 years so its already got the allowed modifications. Hoping to start doing some track days so slowly moving towards a street touring set up. For now I'll just be on the same 17x8s that I got for autocross. I'll probably move to a 225/45r17 on 17x8 for my daily driver tires, a little more clearance and a little cheaper as well.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Because the anti lift kit alters the caster angle, where the motor mounts don't change any suspension angle.
The way I interpret that rule is it referring to the angle of the bushing axis, not wheel alignment. ALKs don't change the angle of the bushing axis, they move the position of the bushing outboard which pushes the lower balljoint forward to increase caster. That rule is aimed towards cars with double wishbone suspension that can get basically any amount of camber or caster via changing bushing angles at control arms.

Last edited:

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Already done, car has been run in street class the last 2 years so its already got the allowed modifications. Hoping to start doing some track days so slowly moving towards a street touring set up. For now I'll just be on the same 17x8s that I got for autocross. I'll probably move to a 225/45r17 on 17x8 for my daily driver tires, a little more clearance and a little cheaper as well.
Nice! If your tire has super stiff sidewalls, 45 aspect ratio on 17’s works well for autocross. I run a 245/45 on 17x9 fronts only.

What tire do you use / plan to use for auto cross?

cck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic sedan sport
Country flag
Nice! If your tire has super stiff sidewalls, 45 aspect ratio on 17’s works well for autocross. I run a 245/45 on 17x9 fronts only.

What tire do you use / plan to use for auto cross?
Right now I'm on v730s from last season, 245/45r17. Wanted the extra height for a higher top speed in 2nd but the acceleration is so bad I never get close to topping out so will be going smaller diameter next time. Maybe it'd work on an si, but not a sport. I love the v730 in the dry but the wet performance is... Not good. I use to run re-71r on a previous car but haven't tried the rs yet, probably will be the next set I buy.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
IMG_2366.jpeg
First even is tomorrow, trying out some Yokos. 245/40/17 on 17x9 +45(48?)
Prob the best tire out there. I suggest bringing a water sprayer and hose down at least your fronts between runs and the intercooler/radiator to help keep the car cool. I tried it last year and it helped keep the k.control happy and the IATs in check. Those tires will turn greasy super quick if they get too hot, even just doing autocross.

They also like a lot of camber so you might have to keep tire pressures higher than with other tires if you don't have a lot.

Good luck!!