Am I the only one that loves the R’s stock sound

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
IMO the 2020 Type R is much better in terms of fit and refinement technology , dampening, adaptive cruise , LKAS , Lane departure , collision mitigation, ASC, brakes, auto high beams,

Not to mention all the recalls and revisions made to the car when it comes to wire harnesses, fuel pump recall , Log R is ok someone who tracks might like it.
I am not too crazy about the alcanterra wheel but feels nice holding it along with the new shifter.

also the bushings have been updated, more stiffer , and side view mirrors are cool with the turn signals.

I also hated the 2017-2019 CTR fake vents god they were annoying and ugly. I always had to use a leaf blower just to get the water out of the vents, With the 2020 CTR I do not have to worry about it.

supposedly the 2020 CTR has better cooling as well due to the revised front end.
ASC also helps ALOT with vibrations/creeks and rattles.

You dont even really need to change the exhaust , just smash out all the filters on your cats and put a down pipe in . delete the sensors in hondata.

Its crazy to spend 1500-2k on a exhaust unless you like blowing money away, put that towards the hondata fuel system kit
Ya, definitely agree that the '20 updates are totally worth it. I love the facelift cars for the updated look alone. It does also seem to drive a bit nicer than the '19 I test drove too. Could do without the driver assists but don't mind having them, kind of neat to use on the highway of I'm lazy.

Wish I "only" spent $1.5K on an exhaust ? I went full waste money mode and picked up a used fuji. Not the $3200 they retail for....but not cheap either. If I planned to mod this car beyond that, no way I would go for an expensive exhaust. But I like the rest of it stock so its a one time fuck it buy, alongside the PPF + summer NSX wheels, and I'm done.

Feels kind of weird having the car for only 3 weeks and already having pretty much all the "mods" and needed things I wanted for it. No rabbit hole for me on this one.
Sponsored

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Ya, definitely agree that the '20 updates are totally worth it. I love the facelift cars for the updated look alone. It does also seem to drive a bit nicer than the '19 I test drove too. Could do without the driver assists but don't mind having them, kind of neat to use on the highway of I'm lazy.

Wish I "only" spent $1.5K on an exhaust ? I went full waste money mode and picked up a used fuji. Not the $3200 they retail for....but not cheap either. If I planned to mod this car beyond that, no way I would go for an expensive exhaust. But I like the rest of it stock so its a one time fuck it buy, alongside the PPF + summer NSX wheels, and I'm done.

Feels kind of weird having the car for only 3 weeks and already having pretty much all the "mods" and needed things I wanted for it. No rabbit hole for me on this one.
get hondata , car is slow without it

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I see you you don't follow Honda news. They actually announced they are discontinuing ALL coupes a while back.
get hondata , car is slow without it
Kind of like whether an exhaust is too loud or not, slow is relative. If I wanted a legit fast car, I would have bought something else. If I wanted a car I could launch and smoke most cars off the line, it wouldn't be a FWD car.

300hp, many claiming to the wheels, through the front wheels is plenty for me. Love it as is so far, plan to keep it a long time like this.....well, plus a little sound out the back.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I love my stock exhaust with the RV6 catted downpipe and RV6 front pipe. I won't change a thing.....deeper but not louder.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm satisfied with stock exhaust. As others have said, drone on long trips is maddening, and the volume isn't so loud that it gets attention. My 2019 doesn't have active sound enhancement and I'm fine with exhaust sound in the cabin.
Pleased.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
My basic problem with the stock exhaust note is that you can't hear it well enough to make your gear changes at higher RPM's. I changed my exhaust to something louder so I could rely on sound to make my gear shifts instead of having to look at the panel. I'd rather be looking at the road and enjoying the car than have to look down at the RPM gauge, which is typically what I had to do with the stock exhaust.

Plus, it's nice to have an exhaust that somewhat matches the looks of the car. I like the aggressively styling, and I also like aggressive sound. Just my two cents!
What you mention about gear changes is what one reviewer mention why they pipe in sound to the interior. It’s not just so you can hear the vroom vroom for giggles. It’s to help you drive and hear the engine especially at speed the road/cabin noises can drown out the exhaust note.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I wouldn’t say I love the exhaust note but I would say it fits me well. I like loud exhaust but too loud is obnoxious. Also police can hear you from blocks away. I had a modded Integra when I was dating my wife and when going to see her the police said they heard me blocks away. I live in a quiet neighborhood so a quiet exhaust is appreciated.

When my wife drove the CTR into the driveway and I was standing outside the car, I was surprised that it does have a nice low burble to the exhaust. Cruising you can hear it but it’s not so intrusive that you have to raise your voice for conversation or turn up the radio.

It does sound like a vacuum as others have mentions. I almost named my car Dirt Devil. :D It’s quiet so sometimes I call it White Ninja or White Ghost.

Last edited:

EPSi2FKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Civic Type R, 2014 Lexus IS350
Country flag
I totally embrace to quiet nature of our cars. I love that we are able to wail on the throttle and not worry about negative police or other attention. Also keeps us from overdoing it to impress with noise. It’s really confidence inspiring and a benefit for my driving removing these distractions.

It’s also nice diverting those funds to parts that I need more that will do more for the car, i.e. intercooler and high-flow catted downpipe.

With a K&N drop-in and PRL intake tube, the turbo intake and wastegate sounds are awesome. The sound of the engine climbing in the revs sounds like a large buzz saw slicing though a building to me! Pure beautiful destruction!

I don’t think the Type R has ever been designed to be the fastest and loudest boisterous beast on the road. I really embrace its balance of design that focuses on performance. I love this car for what it is and try not to worry about what it isn’t!

Ps have a ‘20 and totally disabled the ASC

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm extremely happy with the sound of the PRL HVI, HKS intercooler, and PRL charge pipes!!! It freaking "turbo whooshing insane" when WOT. But quiet as a Tesla when not on the throttle.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Not really sure what OEM exhaust sound you guys are referring to lol not trying to be a wise ass but I literally can barely hear an exhaust note out the back. Just a whole lot of piped in fake engine noise up front. I also don't like loud drony exhausts but give me something a bit louder with a decent tone. Hopefully my fuji exhaust will change that.

As a side note, I keep hearing people bashing the '20+ models for the fake engine noise....don't all Type Rs have the fake engine noise, just the '20+ have it adjust to being more obnoxious as you cycle through drive modes?
No only the 2020+ models have piped in engine noise. The 17-19 does not have any artificial noise at all.

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
Taste is subjective. But there is NO way you'd be happy with the stock exhaust 'sound' if you've driven anything else with any sort of grunt to it. Turbo 4 or otherwise. To me peak turbo 4 sound was an Alfa 4C. Granted its an unfair comparison since the exhaust is right behind you, but if a tiny 1.7L engine can sound that good, Honda has to do better. The K20C1 definitely sounds the part on the latest Ariel Atom... so it's a complete contradiction to have such a 'loud' exterior but have an engine note with no presence at all, typical Honda. They always struggle with trying to innovate while still being a bit too conservative.

When your truck sounds more aggressive than your hot hatch you know this car has a problem. Hell even Elantra Sports had a better exhaust than stock.

Last straw was when I almost missed a couple shift points on track because I could hear everyone's engine but my own.

Anyway, AWE Touring is enough for me OEM++ definitely a bit boomy after very long drives but around time or within a 100 mile range its perfect.
Sponsored

Last edited: