Air Conditioning Reliability

XgenCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit
Country flag
$3,728.02 to replace the Evaporator AND Compressor for 2016 Honda Civic. The service advisor said that the A/C condenser is fine.

I have a 2016 Honda Civic EX sedan. My driver side A/C vents started blowing lukewarm air. A Honda dealership in TX charged me $154 evac, dye, and Freon recharge, and had the A/C vents running max. They couldn't any leaks after having the car for 4 hours. They quoted me about $1,200 to further diagnose it and said they'll probably have to take the dashboard apart.

I called a 2nd Honda dealership in TX and they said that a small leak wouldn't be detected after 4 hours. It would take about another 5,000 miles of driving. Or when the A/C stops blowing cold air occurs, they told me to come back. They told me that taking apart a dashboard is extremely unlikely in their decades of experience.

Now, a year later, the A/C driver vents are blowing warmer air after I moved out of TX.

I try to sell my car at a Honda dealer in a new state and they immediately knew of the air conditioning problem. They let me know that Honda extended the A/C condenser warranty to 10 years/unlimited miles. They low balled me and said the A/C problem decreased the sell value. I left the dealership.

At a 4th Honda dealership, I told them that a diagnostic UV dye and recharge was done and I need the A/C condenser replaced under the extended warranty. The service advisor said that my Civic does qualify for the warranty, but they would need to do a full inspection to see if it's truly the A/C condenser and that they can't just replace it free of charge, otherwise they would lose their job for warranty fraud. They said it would take about 2 hours to find the problem and give a quote if it's not under A/C condenser warranty. Eventually, the advisor said it's the Evaporator and Compressor leaking/failing and sent a quote of $3,728.02.

I've tried contacting Honda America through Twitter and they are no help, besides saying go to a Honda dealership to get it diagnosed.

My family and I have financed an Accord, Fit and Civic and I'll most likely move to Toyota, or KIA (they have problems too since I have a new 2019 Forte that had transmission replaced and engine overheat at 12,000 miles, both covered under warranty and I got 6 months of free vehicle rental).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag
Fun fact, so the 2017 - 2018 CTR's came with 134...after that in late builds of 2018 they went to YF and no more 134. YF is new eco friendly. YF doesnt use any swappable parts with 134, it even has different fittings to fill so dummy proof.

Not so fun fact, alot...alot of problems with YF as its new. 3 times more expensive to fill or recharge than 134 too.

Prepare to have issues plain and simple. I lost 1 lb or 16oz of freon (YF)and the system holds 20 oz. Recharged it for over $300 at Brakes plus. Where did it go? No leak. YF breaks down fast unlike 134 and both coat the entire system when it does. All freon is susceptible to break down when its at full blast and 30 minute + drive times which is why you need a recharge.

Perform a free system check every year if you use your AC for YF and every 2 years for 134

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I've never used the AC (windows down FTW). May have to start testing it from time to time to see if it's good.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
The entire AC system in these cars are garbage. Honda needs to warranty the whole thing. They want $2k from me for a new compressor. Then it'll crap out again a year or two later. Forget that!

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
The entire AC system in these cars are garbage. Honda needs to warranty the whole thing. They want $2k from me for a new compressor. Then it'll crap out again a year or two later. Forget that!
I hate to hear that......

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
3-4 years for my si. Some sort of internal contamination causing inconstant psi levels and either cooling quick or slow randomly. Thank god I bought the extended warranty. It has saved me from having to pay for a transmission and the entire ac system replacement. Looks like our generation in the years to come will be known for unreliable AC systems
Sponsored