babypj

First Name
Phong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
yes i noticed my a/c went out at 10k. i finally had time to take the car in and its gona be in there for 7-10 days as they source all the parts from all over the country and fix it.

they are gonna replace the entire system and thankfully this happened while im still under warranty as i imagine itd be quite expensive if it wasn’t.
My quote is 445 diagnostic 1551 for the evaporator replacement. Bull fucking shit that this is how they handle their own failures. I will never buy a Honda again. Been driving Honda’s since I started driving 7 years ago. This was the first new car I bought. Drove a CRX, RSX, 8th gen, and now this 18 Si. I feel glad that my love for Honda evaporated with one AC issue
Sponsored

OP
OP
oreohatch

oreohatch

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2020
Country flag
My quote is 445 diagnostic 1551 for the evaporator replacement. Bull fucking shit that this is how they handle their own failures. I will never buy a Honda again. Been driving Honda’s since I started driving 7 years ago. This was the first new car I bought. Drove a CRX, RSX, 8th gen, and now this 18 Si. I feel glad that my love for Honda evaporated with one AC issue
18? It's supposed to be still under warranty right?

babypj

First Name
Phong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
18? It's supposed to be still under warranty right?
It’s 103k miles. Wish it was miles based but I’m almost certain just based on the mile ranges here and time ranges it’s based MOSTLY on time. Since it went 100k miles working just fine then it just stops working. That and the fact that the condenser issue puts it at 10 years unlimited miles warranty makes it clear that it’s not a mileage based issue.

techguy124

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback EX
Country flag
My compressor went up 4 weeks after I bought it. Dealer replaced it with out an issue.

babypj

First Name
Phong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
My compressor went up 4 weeks after I bought it. Dealer replaced it with out an issue.
That’s really (un)lucky. Wish my AC issues were immediate. It’s crazy to think that this dealerships technician is telling me that every 100k miles you have to pay 2k dollars to drive the car with comfort.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s really (un)lucky. Wish my AC issues were immediate. It’s crazy to think that this dealerships technician is telling me that every 100k miles you have to pay 2k dollars to drive the car with comfort.
Nah, that's crazy. Just do what many of us did this past summer. Buy a can of R1234yf and the appropriate hose with R1234yf fittings and you'll be set again for a while. How long? Not sure, but probably several months before u need another can. Maybe another year - if you're lucky and the leak is tiny.

I added my first can back in June 2020 and my A/C is still fine.

babypj

First Name
Phong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Nah, that's crazy. Just do what many of us did this past summer. Buy a can of R1234yf and the appropriate hose with R1234yf fittings and you'll be set again for a while. How long? Not sure, but probably several months before u need another can. Maybe another year - if you're lucky and the leak is tiny.
Luckily in the diagnostic they also recharged the refrigerant. I will buy a can and do that rather than replace. I’m guessing it’ll be at least a year because I’m certain that the leak was occurring very slowly. That’s why mileage doesn’t matter as much as time. Most people had it happen nearing the 3 year mark. Even the Honda shuttle driver had his happen around 3 years (he’s under warranty still) and he’s gonna have it fixed soon.

Simplex123

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP FK8
Country flag
had compressor replaced twice. third trip they replaced the evaporator. been going strong since but i don't expect that to last.
My AC is out and I'm getting the compressor replaced tomorrow at the dealer as well. Are you saying they're just going to be replacing a shitty condensor with the same shitty condensor that is going to crap out again? Have we been able to figure out the root problem?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
My AC is out and I'm getting the compressor replaced tomorrow at the dealer as well. Are you saying they're just going to be replacing a shitty condensor with the same shitty condensor that is going to crap out again? Have we been able to figure out the root problem?
They are going to replace the shitty condenser with another shitty condenser. I think I read that people who use the AC year round (and don't let the car sit over winter) tend to see better outcomes with their AC concerning failures than those that shut it off and only use it minimally. I may be mistaken though.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what I've read, the corrosiveness of R1234yf has been underestimated by Honda and perhaps other manufacturers as well.

From the interwebs:
Honda Civic 10th gen Air conditioning issues? went out on brand new civic 1619049673577

Simplex123

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP FK8
Country flag
From what I've read, the corrosiveness of R1234yf has been underestimated by Honda and perhaps other manufacturers as well.

From the interwebs:
1619049673577.png
Is it any better running another type of refrigerant?

FK8 Twigs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #01007
Country flag

I added my first can back in June 2020 and my A/C is still fine.
Can you share what / where you purchased? I’m having this issue now w my 2017 w 18k miles. Very annoyed since I’m not in warranty any longer. They had one at advanced auto parts and it was like $140 ?

Maybe we’ll get lucky and there will be a recall?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you share what / where you purchased? I’m having this issue now w my 2017 w 18k miles. Very annoyed since I’m not in warranty any longer. They had one at advanced auto parts and it was like $140 ?

Maybe we’ll get lucky and there will be a recall?

You should go visit your local Honda dealer. There was a warranty extension with some A/C parts....the condensor, I believe? If Honda says "take a hike" here is what you'll need for DIY.

Hey there,

I get my r1234yf from Napa. They have free ship to store, so you can go to the one closest to you, which hopefully isn't too far for you... Most napa's have it in stock for same day pickup though.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NFR...igerant&impressionRank=2&keywordInput=r1234yf

And you'll need this hose to fill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SH5XGT5

If your a/c is blowing warm, that means your system is completely empty, so you'll put the entire can in to fill it to the perfect amount. Good luck, any questions, just ask!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had it happen in my 17 and it was the compressor. I've heard people with both that and condensor getting punctured by debris. Luckily I haven't had a problem with the 20 and it blows cold pretty quickly.

OP
OP
oreohatch

oreohatch

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2020
Country flag
I just want to update this thread. AC is working again after Honda replaced the AC valve expansion. Also! I received a mail today that the AC compressor warranty is extended to 10 years/unlimited miles.
Sponsored