AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Wow - that's not good. I think there's another post on this forum where someone mentioned that their AC in a 2020 CTR also didn't work on the first day of ownership! My '19 CTR only had one odd glitch with the AC last summer (2019). It was blowing lukewarm air on a hot day. I pulled into a parking lot, turned the car off and upon restarting the air was blowing cold again - I haven't had any other problems with the AC and my car has over 13,000 miles now. Hopefully they get your AC fixed soon - not fun driving in 90F weather!
I've experienced that glitch in my '19 once last summer. When I started it up to go home the a/c was blowing hot air. After a minute I was like, "wait, wtf?". Was still on the property of the venue we were building, so I just stopped in the middle of the road, turned the car off and back on and it started blowing cold air right away.

I've noticed that if you aren't moving, the a/c isn't as could as it would be cruising, especially in direct sunlight. But the sunlight is probably just worse because you're in a greenhouse lol. Though that's not really exclusive to this car.

Overall the blower isn't as strong as I'd like, especially if you use a setting such as vents at the dashboard and floorboard. But I can't really complain, I'd driven my Si for over 3 summers with no a/c at all before I got my type R. Which suuuuccckks. Where I'm working now there's only street parking so I have to drive the Si to work again. There's no way in hell I'm parking the R on the street. All of the damage on my Si has been from assholes hitting me when the car is just parked.
Sponsored

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I have a 2019 and found this car to have a very weak AC. My bolt and SO's Golf R's climate is usually set at 74 and its pretty cold/comfy. Opposed to the type R, I usually have to set it around 68 to be the same temperature. Moreover, I found that when the weather gets hot, I have to manually set the temperature usually 3-4 degrees colder to keep up. I also found that if the car is already hot from being parked in the sun, it will take FOREVER for the car to cool down inside. I think some sort of heat rejection tint will be needed to be honest.

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
Whats up everyone. I recently just purchased a 2020 CTR. Loving it.

I had one issue with the paint that the dealer corrected but I started to notice something else lately.. As the weather starts to get hotter and hotter, I've decided to use the air condition(obviously). But I noticed it wasn't really blowing cold air, more like lukewarm or semi-cold air. I figured the car needed to be broken into more but this has never happened to me before with any new car. So yesterday I made an appointment with Honda Service to get it checked out, she told me just to bring the car in with out an appointment. I woke up around 6am today and decided to wash the car, turned on the AC and started to blow out cold air so i figured I didn't have to go anymore.

Later in the day the temperature hits the high 90's and I have to get to the hospital (where I am employed). The AC blasted nothing but HOT air.. I let it run for 20 mins before taking it for a drive. By the time I got to the hospital it was still blowing out HOT air. Finally, I called Honda and after some back and forth with the front receptionist:rolleyes: ..she connected me with someone else and they explained to me that mostly all 2020 Honda models are being recalled in because there is a problem with the condenser from the the factory. That the parts are on a national back order. My appointment is made for next Thursday. So if anyone else is having the same issue, your're not crazy. It's the condenser. Hopefully :hmm:

Keep you guys posted.
The AC in these car need time to work. Your car wont get much cooler when set below 68 degrees. If it is 100+ degrees outside it will take even longer

You need to open your windows run your AC while driving to exhaust the hot air and then close them and leave it at 66-68 degrees

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I think some sort of heat rejection tint will be needed to be honest.
This. I had mine ceramic tinted very early on and the AC does fine in SoCal heat. It definitely makes a difference compared to my family's untinted 2012 crv.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
inexcusable

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My AC thus far has not had any issues with cooling (KNOCKS ON WOOD). However, I did have the compressor or condenser damaged in my first minor accident with my car about 8 months after I got it, which resulted in those both being replaced. However thus far, it blows cool air and cools relatively quickly.

OP
OP
InkedHisto

InkedHisto

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The AC in these car need time to work. Your car wont get much cooler when set below 68 degrees. If it is 100+ degrees outside it will take even longer

You need to open your windows run your AC while driving to exhaust the hot air and then close them and leave it at 66-68 degrees
I'm hoping having the condenser will avoid me from doing all that everyday i get into my car.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Windows...that's why they put roll down windows in the car! Solves two things...gets some air in the car and makes the exhaust note sound better(some people complain it's not loud enough).;)

Actually it's not the best ac I've ever had but then again the way I use the car it doesn't matter. Grocery getter and fun cruiser. If I had to drive to work everyday it might be a different story. Sounds like Honda will fix it at their costs.

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
I'm hoping having the condenser will avoid me from doing all that everyday i get into my car.
same principal when used in a hot house, if the temp inside is hotter than outside then open the windows while the ac is on for a few min LOL

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
This. I had mine ceramic tinted very early on and the AC does fine in SoCal heat. It definitely makes a difference compared to my family's untinted 2012 crv.
lets see your champ white tinted

iStayKrafty

First Name
Kay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2018 CRV
Country flag
My 2019 CTR takes a few more minutes to get cold. Havent noticed it only blowing lukewarm or hot air. It's definitely not as efficient as my 2019 corolla in terms of cooling.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag

Ryloguy

First Name
Rylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I have a 2016 EX and a couple months ago I got a letter in the mail saying they extended the warranty on the AC to 10 years because there is a flaw in some of the condensers which lets coolant out. The letter only says 2016-2018 models but if your dealer mentioned something they could have extended it.

Also I thought my AC was fine but after sitting in my dad's 2012 TL for 15 mins I realized the AC in my car is super weak compared to his. If it gets any worse I'm definitely going to head to the dealer because the Summer heat in LA is rough.

Attachments

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Windows...that's why they put roll down windows in the car! Solves two things...gets some air in the car and makes the exhaust note sound better(some people complain it's not loud enough).;)
I'm a weirdo and I have never opened my windows when driving - I wanted to retain the new car smell for as long as possible and it did work! Have had my CTR since April 2019 and it still has the new car smell - albeit not as pronounced as when new but it still smells good though!
Sponsored