A First Look Into The Wunderladen Racing Oil Pan Baffle!

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Happy Thursday everyone! We've been working on an oil pan baffle for the L15 in the 10th gen Civic. We've got our first prototype ready to go and I figured we could share some info behind the design process and in future posts we'll be going over our validation process!

All the info is in our blog post HERE

Feel free to ask any questions! I'm super excited to see how this turns out :)
Sponsored

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like a great design but are hinge style trap doors not more reliable then rubber?
I would think rubber deteriorates over time and needs replacement ?

OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Looks like a great design but are hinge style trap doors not more reliable then rubber?
I would think rubber deteriorates over time and needs replacement ?
I don't consider the hinge style doors any more or less reliable. As long as the rubber compound is oil compatible there won't be any issues. BMW actually used these rubber style flaps in the factory oil pan for some of their older cars and there are lots of high end aftermarket pans that use them.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't consider the hinge style doors any more or less reliable. As long as the rubber compound is oil compatible there won't be any issues. BMW actually used these rubber style flaps in the factory oil pan for some of their older cars and there are lots of high end aftermarket pans that use them.
Ok great ,I always seen the hinge style being used never saw any rubber style.
I used to have a isihara Johnson crank scraper and windage tray for my old D series engine which also worked great.

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Very cool blog (cool to see all the analysis on the features Honda put in to the base pan as ths OE--also will never forget what oil pan windage is now) and a very exciting product.

Hope to some day be in the club that would legitimately need one of these some day. And looking forward to the next validation blog installment for the data 🤓

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Very cool blog (cool to see all the analysis on the features Honda put in to the base pan as ths OE--also will never forget what oil pan windage is now) and a very exciting product.

Hope to some day be in the club that would legitimately need one of these some day. And looking forward to the next validation blog installment for the data 🤓
Just seeing the science and methodology behind obtaining the data points for validation will be entertaining in of itself. I really wish our cars had readouts for oil temp and oil pressure but alas these are economy based vehicles.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Just seeing the science and methodology behind obtaining the data points for validation will be entertaining in of itself. I really wish our cars had readouts for oil temp and oil pressure but alas these are economy based vehicles.
I've figured out a fairly convenient way to add provisions on the engine for both temp and pressure :)

It would be nice to be able to add that info into the data stream on the KTuner but we'll be using a logging system that can read temp, pressure, engine speed, lateral acceleration, as well as have GPS location so we can correlate pressure numbers to different turns on track!

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m replacing my oil pan next week. The OEM one was defective surface. It just don’t seal. Already tried resetting it.
Sure wish this was avail now haha!
are you welding a bung for temp on the pan? Whereabouts?
where you put pressure sensor?

I have them install on my oil cooler, but I am removing my oil cooler so I got a find a place for my sensors now.

Keep up the great work WLR!

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I’m replacing my oil pan next week. The OEM one was defective surface. It just don’t seal. Already tried resetting it.
Sure wish this was avail now haha!
are you welding a bung for temp on the pan? Whereabouts?
where you put pressure sensor?

I have them install on my oil cooler, but I am removing my oil cooler so I got a find a place for my sensors now.

Keep up the great work WLR!
We're aiming for a mid July release date provided we're able to validate it by then.

Not welding anything. For temp we're going to put the probe either in our MAP oil cooler or we're going to use a drain plug that is tapped for sensor.

For pressure there is an oil gallery at the pan rail which feeds oil to the timing tensioner and it is sealed by an O ring on the pan. Conveniently enough the area inside the O ring lines up with a boss on the outside of the pan that can drilled and tapped. You can see in the photos on our blog post that we've drilled a small hole in that O ring area to connect the oil gallery to the threaded hole we've drilled on the outside.

I'll go into the specifics of all this on our next post when we go into the validation process.

Honda Civic 10th gen A First Look Into The Wunderladen Racing Oil Pan Baffle! fa

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
Are there any news about this?
I think I know a couple of mad people that could be interested.

Also, managed to perform some pressure tests with and without it?

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Are there any news about this?
I think I know a couple of mad people that could be interested.

Also, managed to perform some pressure tests with and without it?
No new news, we have a proto unit going in a time attack car that is going to be helping with validation.

Looking for a release next spring. As we head into winter here our track season is ending which unfortunately puts a pause on much of our in house validation.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Were there any updates on testing this ?I like to get a baffle installed next year for some added security .

Edit : After looking into the oil pans it seems the european oil pans have a oil level switch ( 37310-RSX-G01 ) into the oil pan where as the USDM do not .Part numbers are also not all the same.
European oil pan is 11200-5AW-G01 , USDM oil pan is 11200-5K8-000 for SI and sedan/coupe , 11200-5AG-Z01 for hatch sport .
The 5K8 oil pan also has the windage tray bolted on ,and the hatch has the tray rivited on.The european models also have them rivited on.
Another thing i found is the 2017 USDM sport hatch models Also use the Oil level switch in the oil pan and is another part number (11200-5AG-Z00)

Unfortunatly Lots of variations:( ,i hope maybe the USDM 2017 sport hatch version will also work with the european version.
From what i have found so far there are 3 variations
- Bolted without sensor
- Rivited without sensor
- Rivited with sensor

USDM pan
Honda Civic 10th gen A First Look Into The Wunderladen Racing Oil Pan Baffle! 42a5fb0ba6b86b75464e073d65cb51d9

EDM oil pan
Honda Civic 10th gen A First Look Into The Wunderladen Racing Oil Pan Baffle! 42a5fb0ba6b86b75464e073d65cb51d9

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
The EUDM pan looks to be fairly different on the inside because of that level sensor, so the baffle more than likely wouldn't fit. I know our 2018 Sport hatch doesn't have an oil level sensor on the pan and I'd be surprised if that was only on 17s. To date I've not seen any USDM 1.5T with an oil level sensor.

As far as riveted vs bolted won't make a difference, but riveted pans will need the rivets drilled out to install our baffle, it's what I had to do with the first pan I put a baffle in. The factory windage tray is the same for all 1.5T pans so it'll fit either pan, it'll just be less work for a bolted pan.

The car we were doing validation with is undergoing some repairs after some damage was sustained on track. I'm still pushing for a springtime release this year but it will depend on how quickly they're able to get their car back out on track.

Edit: Looking into it a bit more it looks like 11200-5K8-000 has been superseded by 11200-5K8-010 which uses rivets from all of the photos I can find. I don't see any current pan part numbers that use bolts for the windage tray so I'm guessing Honda cost reduced them out.

We will more than likely offer the baffle preinstalled in a pan as an option for those who don't have the desire or means to drill the factory rivets out of their stock pan.

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The EUDM pan looks to be fairly different on the inside because of that level sensor, so the baffle more than likely wouldn't fit. I know our 2018 Sport hatch doesn't have an oil level sensor on the pan and I'd be surprised if that was only on 17s. To date I've not seen any USDM 1.5T with an oil level sensor.

As far as riveted vs bolted won't make a difference, but riveted pans will need the rivets drilled out to install our baffle, it's what I had to do with the first pan I put a baffle in. The factory windage tray is the same for all 1.5T pans so it'll fit either pan, it'll just be less work for a bolted pan.

The car we were doing validation with is undergoing some repairs after some damage was sustained on track. I'm still pushing for a springtime release this year but it will depend on how quickly they're able to get their car back out on track.

Edit: Looking into it a bit more it looks like 11200-5K8-000 has been superseded by 11200-5K8-010 which uses rivets from all of the photos I can find. I don't see any current pan part numbers that use bolts for the windage tray so I'm guessing Honda cost reduced them out.

We will more than likely offer the baffle preinstalled in a pan as an option for those who don't have the desire or means to drill the factory rivets out of their stock pan.
Yeah the 2017 oil level sensor thing was a wrong picture I saw.The sensor Is used in the usa but on 1.5 Jazz/fit engines as far as I could find.None on the 10thgens.
I thought it would be possible to drill and tap ,or weld in place is also possible.
I did this once on the inside of my D-series valve cover to make some bigger breather holes.
I try to find a cheap used EUDM oil pan ,maybe only some minor mods need to be done.

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you do offer a full pan with the baffle pre-installed, please also consider offering the pan with that oil gallery you found for the potential oil pressure sensor drilled+tapped.

I just installed gauges and routed wires for oil temp and pressure sensors last month, and am just now realizing how few options exist to install an oil pressure sensor on the L15. I think @Hondanickx has been struggling with this as well.

I've not yet found any standard/universal filter sandwich plates confirmed to give enough room to fit a pressure sensor.

And even for the Sirimoto oil cooler kit with it's funky filter extension, they want you to install an extra 18" length of -3AN to dangle the pressure sensor from:

The SiriMoto -3AN Pressure Sensor Install Kit consists of three parts: a 1/8" NPT Male to -3AN Male Flare Adapter, a 1/8" NPT Female to -3AN Male Flare Adapter, and an 18" long -3AN Stainless Steel Braided Hose
So based on my searching, I think the MAP oil cooler kit with the odd filter standoff elbow might be the only game in town that gives you a place suitable to hard mount a pressure sensor.

Had no idea the situation was so dire (for pressure sensors in specific, because of the larger sensor body) before I had the pressure gauge/sensor already installed and just sitting idle in the engine bay. But I suspect that everyone concerned about oil pressure enough to add a baffle is probably going to appreciate an additional location for an oil pressure sensor...
Sponsored