It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit!

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Hey folks, I've been teasing this for a bit now in various places but we're officially taking orders for our big brake kit! We have a fairly detailed blog post that covers everything on our site found HERE.

Please feel free to share thoughts and questions! We're so excited to be able to offer a greatly versatile braking solution to the community :)

Product page HERE

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 1
Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 2
Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 3

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Very nice, Austin. Same 350Z rotors as the RL retrofit but with better-matched calipers that have a wider track-oriented pad selection. I like it. Good price, too.

One question: I see no mention of rotor centering rings for the 350Z rotors. Do you feel these are unnecessary?

OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Very nice, Austin. Same 350Z rotors as the RL retrofit but with better-matched calipers that have a wider track-oriented pad selection. I like it. Good price, too.

One question: I see no mention of rotor centering rings for the 350Z rotors. Do you feel these are unnecessary?
We experimented with centering rings on a proto kit but ultimately found them unnecessary. There wasn't really any less misalignment with them versus without. For it to control misalignment better than the stud holes the ring would need a slight interference fit but the issue is different rotor manufacturers have different hub bore sizes so in many cases the rings wouldn't make a difference anyway. From what we've seen with most manufacturers the lug holes have 0.5mm or less of clearance so misalignment is minimal without any hub rings.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Hey folks, I've been teasing this for a bit now in various places but we're officially taking orders for our big brake kit! We have a fairly detailed blog post that covers everything on our site found HERE.

Please feel free to share thoughts and questions! We're so excited to be able to offer a greatly versatile braking solution to the community :)

Product page HERE

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
The black coated rotors in the pictures are the EBC blanks? $150 for the pair is a really good price. Beautiful kit.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
The black coated rotors in the pictures are the EBC blanks? $150 for the pair is a really good price. Beautiful kit.
Yessir, those are indeed the EBC blanks! I've received info that the black coating is their V2 rotor which will soon be replaced by their V3 which is more of a matte grey/silver coating. My understanding is the new coating is even more durable and they changed the color because they were getting complaints that the black didn't match typical factory silver rotor color...

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yessir, those are indeed the EBC blanks! I've received info that the black coating is their V2 rotor which will soon be replaced by their V3 which is more of a matte grey/silver coating. My understanding is the new coating is even more durable and they changed the color because they were getting complaints that the black didn't match typical factory silver rotor color...
Looking at some YT videos of official apollo big brake kits for various vehicles, I see there are pad retainer clips that go under the bridge bolt. Will this kit come with it too or is it not necessary on this particular custom setup?

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Looking at some YT videos of official apollo big brake kits for various vehicles, I see there are pad retainer clips that go under the bridge bolt. Will this kit come with it too or is it not necessary on this particular custom setup?
The pad spring clips are indeed a part of our kit as well :)

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Was able to print out the fitment template tonight and do some measuring/comparing to other kits. My wheels are Motegi mr145 18x8.5 +42. The spoke design on these wheels are quite bbk friendly so I was hoping there wouldn’t be issues considering its not a wide wheel to begin with. Lucky for me, there’s plenty of clearance to the barrel being an 18” wheel and there’s the bare minimum of 3-4mm to the spoke. Worst case scenario I would need a 2-3mm spacer but i should be ok.

Comparing to other templates, the ebc caliper seems to be nearly identical to the stoptech caliper in terms of size, see second pic. Both have only 3-4mm of spoke clearance on my wheel. The 27won caliper is much slimmer and appears to be 9-10mm thinner than the ebc and stoptech caliper. See first pic.

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_3786

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_3788

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_3789

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_3790

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_3791

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback

Product page HERE

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
Looks great. Any pic of blue and black street version on car?

Do you happen to know min spacer needed for oem si wheels?

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Was able to print out the fitment template tonight and do some measuring/comparing to other kits. My wheels are Motegi mr145 18x8.5 +42. The spoke design on these wheels are quite bbk friendly so I was hoping there wouldn’t be issues considering its not a wide wheel to begin with. Lucky for me, there’s plenty of clearance to the barrel being an 18” wheel and there’s the bare minimum of 3-4mm to the spoke. Worst case scenario I would need a 2-3mm spacer but i should be ok.

Comparing to other templates, the ebc caliper seems to be nearly identical to the stoptech caliper in terms of size, see second pic. Both have only 3-4mm of spoke clearance on my wheel. The 27won caliper is much slimmer and appears to be 9-10mm thinner than the ebc and stoptech caliper. See first pic.
I would feel perfectly comfortable with that much clearance.

The 27Won caliper outline is similar to the EBC caliper but it is a bit narrower (I'm guessing) because they are using a 28mm thick rotor. EBC has a slimmer version as well that accepts up to a 28mm rotor and it is about 5-6mm narrower that the wider version we are using which accepts up to a 32mm rotor. Because the 350Z rotor is 30mm thick we have to use the wider version of the caliper and lose a bit of wheel clearance.

Thanks! Unfortunately we only have pics with the red calipers installed but here is what the blue and black calipers look like.

We haven't checked with a stock wheel but I would wager a guess it will need either a 20mm or 25mm spacer to clear.

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 13c9fb0dd0468f3c76de5037ebdf4adf_3f6e0fd2-b9f9-4c38-91b4-b6282e92ae5f
Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! b45bf54e58867aefd5af862d25bed9c6_7918c39c-cbc6-41ea-b043-b8c0affe421a

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Using the template (I have not yet confirmed on the car) I measured about 11mm of spoke interference on my 2020 Si wheels. I think my current plan is to use a 20mm spacer since that seems to be the community consensus choice for flush/fitment with stock wheels.

Maybe you could run a tad smaller spacer but ymmv and it might require a couple test fits with some different sizes.

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Received my WR BBK kit rotors over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised at what I found and figured I would share my findings. These are the "EBC Blank" rotors offered as an add-on to the kit--and at a bundled price that is a _steal_ compared to retail for the same rotors bought separately, I will add.

I figured I would compare the BBK rotors to the Centric 120 Series blanks in the stock Si size I have been using as track equipment up to this point. The centric casting is also used for some (all?) of the "Stoptech" offerings in the stock Si size, but ymmv. I have not ever bought or handled any EBC rotors in the stock Si size--so can't comment of some of these features are available in the EBC Si offerings.

Comparing the main dimensions, I measured the rotor faces of the EBC rotors (~7.3mm) to be about 12% thicker than the Centric Si rotor (6.5mm), but the cooling channel in the middle of the rotor was 25% bigger on the EBC Rotor (15.2mm) compared to the Centric Si rotor 12.1mm).

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! PXL_20230520_133146252

I don't see EBC mention "pillar vane" in any of their marketing materials, but the vanes are definitely more round and varied in size, with the largest EBC vanes/pillars being quite substantial and looking ready for some abuse.

Also, the EBC casting is completely open and vented on the back (inboard) side, whereas the centric just has some holes from the backside and is more open on the front (wheel spoke) side

WR Kit/EBC Rotor backside:

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! PXL_20230520_132811235

Centric 120 Series Si Rotor backside:
Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! PXL_20230520_133236777.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL

Overall the EBC offering looks like a quality set of rotors. Makes the Centric Si rotors look very much "economy car" in comparison. Was pleasantly surprised by some of the features not captured by the pure numbers/specs, so figured I would share.

Last edited: